• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Canadian humoUr

Perhaps it is hard to tell if you never crossed the border. For that matter, over here in Europe there is a handful of different power plugs, some that are unified to work in either slot. It tends to depend on whether the item is grounded or not. And I'm not only considering UK power plugs when I write that.

My friend in Sask had someone ask him if people in Canada really lived in igloos and the person asking was dead serious. Sometimes I wonder if people are really that stupid or are they just generally clueless to other cultures outside of the US?

Ya never know. I made the mistake of joking with my friend in Africa about living in a mud hut, and he told me that most of the dwellings in his town are mud huts (although his house is made of wood).

--T

I've had people seriously ask about the igloos on multiple occasions. So yes, surprisingly some people really are that stupid and that clueless.

When I was in Tennessee, I told one of my local friends that my girlfriend (now wife) in Texas was from Mexico, and she asked if she had a donkey. :p

I said she has a Jeep, does that count?

Nathan

When I was 13 years old (wayyyyy back in 1990), our family did a road trip to Florida. While staying at a motel in Georgia, I met a 15 year old in the motel's arcade room and we played a few games of pool and chatted. He was asking me what the weather where I lived. I told him it got very hot in the summer, and he said "ya, but it still snows right?" He was convinced that all of Canada got snow year-round. I explained to him that we lived a couple hours away from New York.

I had heard the igloos & snow thing before, but couldn't believe it when I saw it.

I've had people believe that the temperature drops when they crossed the border. They see the temp in Celsius and think it's Fahrenheit. Hey that's got to be how they determined where the border should be right?

So in the summer when it is 27C, they think it is 27F - below freezing point - and marvel how hot the "winter" is in Canada.

Ah, but it's not unusual for our summer weather (here in Ontario) to hit into the mid-30's, so that puts us out of freezing once in a while :).

Last time I drove thru Canada, it only took me three tickets to figger out that those speed limit signs saying '90' were just there to trap tourists. Never did get the hang of the gas thing tho...how much is $.39CA/liter in real money/gallon? (I couldn't tell if I was getting a good deal or a rip-off).

--T

Last time I drove thru Canada, it only took me three tickets to figger out that those speed limit signs saying '90' were just there to trap tourists. Never did get the hang of the gas thing tho...how much is $.39CA/liter in real money/gallon? (I couldn't tell if I was getting a good deal or a rip-off).

--T

$.39/L? I don't remember those days. Last I saw it was $0.97/L. I last filled at $0.94. We've had peaks around $1.20.

Real money?

1.00 USD = 0.962050 CAD

We have the real money now :).

$.39/L? I don't remember those days. Last I saw it was $0.97/L. I last filled at $0.94. We've had peaks around $1.20.

Real money?

1.00 USD = 0.962050 CAD

We have the real money now :).

Last time I traversed Canada, it was 1979.

Yeah, I noticed that the CAD has been kicking the USD's ass for awhile now, congratulations.

--T

Last time I traversed Canada, it was 1979.

Yeah, I noticed that the CAD has been kicking the USD's ass for awhile now, congratulations.

--T

Screw that, the currency on my site is USD and I was getting used to that 16% bonus.

If it goes much higher, I might have to go to all the trouble of changing it to CAD, probably just in time to see it drop like a rock.

Last time I drove thru Canada, it only took me three tickets to figger out that those speed limit signs saying '90' were just there to trap tourists.
*laughs* I believe there exists some speedometer overlays you can put on top of the panel to convert speed between km/h and mph. I remember when we went by bus to England in 1993, the driver put up some marks on his meter to get the speed limits correct.

On the other hand, with newer cars being all digital and such, I suppose it is just a matter of pressing a button to convert the displays from F to C, from mph to km/h or whichever conversion you need. For that matter, it can be radio controlled so you don't have to think about it, just that you may get a bit confused if your speed suddenly halves or doubles just because you crossed a border.

Back