• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Why not a section for Vintage gamers

Micom 2000

Veteran Member
Computers and gamers has been a problem for years on various forums. I remenmber that on the Usenet Comp.sys.atari.8bit, any reference to such as the "non-computer" 2600 was off-topic and strictly forbidden. Similarly mention of "games" would bring down on the posters head a multitude of flames. Even today mention of gaming, (not to mention MS$) will generate flames on the 'Classiccmp" mail-list.

Well times change and few serious present-day collectors would deny that "gaming", whether by young kids coming up or "baby-boomers" wanting to relive their early game experiences tends to fuel the popularity of classic computer collecting.

I must admit that at times I look askance at many of the posts which would seem to sully our admiration of the architechture, problems overcome and the clever functioning of early computers. That history also included the "hook" to attract the next generation. Games.

It is in that sense I'm suggesting a section on Gaming, which would remove from the other platform sections, posts which some of us find at the least annoying, and concentrate them in one area, without demeaning the overall integrity of the forum. That way many of the newby gamers, or Boomers wanting to relive their youth would have a nonintrusive home on the VCF to have their gaming questions answered.

Lawrence

I think that would be a great section to have as well -- I definitely would welcome an addition such as this to the forums. There are other sites who have forums for older video game consoles and their related games, but I would love for this site to offer a specific section for games as it relates to vintage computers. It's a great idea, Lawrence ... I hope we'll see it soon. Anyone else think it should (or shouldn't) be offered?

I would of course support it. However, there are other places, including my own Website, that cater more to the gaming aspects of vintage computer and videogames. I think the reason why it hasn't already happened here is that in general, to this point, the audience - the forum members here - have not expressed much interest. In fact, there has even been some of the hostility - to a much smaller degree - such as the type you mentioned even when someone posts about it.

My opinion has always been that classic computers (leaving out classic videogame systems for a moment - though of course many of those had their computer add-ons) are majoritively enjoyed today for gaming, programming and hacking, moreso than for any other more serious/practical reason.

Although I come from home computing and gaming circles myself, I think VCF is nice to keep a mostly gaming free zone. There are other sites, both platform specific and more general ones catering to vintage gaming who can offer much better knowledge than most of us here could (no offence to Bill L and others). The occasional gaming questions will come, probably because this forum ranks very well.

In the long run, I think a better option would be to strike some partnership with another gaming forum, i.e. AtariAge unless they're too big. We also have Digital Press, but they certainly feel too large and too far from VCF's general interests. Whenever those other forums get frequented by people asking about DIP switches for old ISA cards or how to prepare a boot floppy for CP/M, they'd be more likely to point these fellows here, which I believe are examples of some of our strong points.

lol Erik. I was expecting some long thread there not an "I think" and an "I agree".

I think it would be a good idea too although I would just do one forum for Vintage Games and maybe Vintage Game Consoles vs Apple II games, Tandy Games, etc. The catch of course being a bit more to moderate/messages to move.

Still, although there are other sites out there, it's always nice to have one location to go and not try to parse through a dozen boards just because one site loves atari or os/2 or 6502s, etc. I would think if it this was my site I'd be wanting to be as universal as I could for vintage computing information. Of course it's not my site.. wait.. nope ok no internic says it's not my site.

- John

I frankly don't see what the big deal is either way. "Partnering" with another site is unnecessary, though, as our communities are small enough where people get re-directed to various sites all the time. There are very few snobs in what we do in that regard. Share and share alike and all that.

With that said, I think the idea to have one "Vintage Gaming" master category and then one "Vintage Consoles" and one "Vintage Computers" sub-category should be more than enough and serve quite well. Even though videogame traffic is very light around here and other sites do serve the purpose in a more dedicated, there is enough talk of it here where it would be better if it were "properly" redirected.

Also, again, to make the same point I made earlier and something I personally believe (in fact, proven in the book I wrote that combines videogames and computers into one), vintage computing and videogames are intertwined with vintage computing in general, from their histories to their advancement to modern homebrews that help to facilitate software usage (or software in general) on vintage machines. In other words, ultimately, it's very, very difficult to try to completely separate one from the other and perhaps even a bit counterproductive.

Just my unsolicited two cents...

It would be nice for me, I also collect/play/work on vintage game hardware. I have a lot of games set up at work for when I need a break.
Bill

I would support such a move, as games are a large part of the legacy of vintage computing.

I think there should be only one forum though, not a whole section dealing with the different platforms. Many games were produced for a number of common models. A single forum would simplify things for the moderators and act as a point of difference from other sites, which are hardware specific.

If there is concern that there are too many forums to look after, can I suggest doing away with the regional forums? From what I can see these seem to get very little traffic.

Regional Forums

Regional Forums

I just want to point out that our classic computer club was founded by persons who responded to a post by Andy M of this forum, in the North East Reg. Forum: "Where my Jersey Boys At?" - But you're right there's not much action there. I do check my region - Mid Atlantic - infrequent but valued posts.

I agree that one "Vintage Game Systems" forum is enough.

Bill

I agree that one "Vintage Game Systems" forum is enough.

Me too. It wouldn't need to have it's own section a billion sub-sections for different systems. Just one general sub-category in the "Genres" part of the forums. Perhaps somewhere between "Atari" and "Commodore."

Oh mighty administrator, what is your verdict?

...WooHoo! Post 486!

--Ryan

Back