• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Old Compaq Presario P1 for my kid.

SBIGGS

About 2 weeks after I purchased this old thing new, it went obsolete so to speak. Any, the CDROM has now gone out and I was told just to get any CDROM and it will work, but this hasn't work so far. It doesn't even show a CDROM drive there when I hook it up and I was also wondering about drivers.
Any suggestions for a cheap fix? Remember, this is for my kid and not worth much so I don't want to put a lot ino it.
Thanks

Is the CD-ROM drive plugged into the sound card? If so, you may need a slightly different CD-ROM drive, or plug it in differently (to an IDE channel). Does the hard drive plug into the motherboard, or does it plug into an expansion card?

Does the CD share the channel with the hard drive? If so, you have to make sure the CD is set to slave.

What is the model of the presario? That would help in looking up the tech specs and trying to find a meaningful answer. If the CD drive plugs into the sound card, what kind of sound card is it?

What OS are you using too? That makes a difference. Win98 should ID the drive correctly if everything else is set correctly. Anything earlier and you have to have drivers.

Kelly

Ya know something, I've been through about a dozen or so computer forums and all I've ever gotten is sarcasm and critisism.
Thanks Kelly for the advice and NOT talking down to me.I may be old, but I still feel young enough to learn more about computing.
I really appreciate the help.
Scott

Back