• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy 2000 Floppy Discs

kb2syd

Veteran Member
OK, I'm looking for a supply of these. I see them referenced in the manual and FAQ as Double Sided Quad Density.

Is that the same as 5.25 Inch Diskettes DD (Double Sided, Double Density), Unformatted, 96 TPI as listed on Athana's web site?

I would like to get 20 or 30 diskettes to play around with and archive the contents of the various 10meg drives I have.

Anyone have any spare media to sell/swap?

Thanks,
Kelly

OK, I'm looking for a supply of these. I see them referenced in the manual and FAQ as Double Sided Quad Density.

Is that the same as 5.25 Inch Diskettes DD (Double Sided, Double Density), Unformatted, 96 TPI as listed on Athana's web site?

I would like to get 20 or 30 diskettes to play around with and archive the contents of the various 10meg drives I have.

Anyone have any spare media to sell/swap?

Thanks,
Kelly
---
Have you tried testing with some good quality 360K DD diskettes? Might work for ya.

m

These are 96TPI QD disk drives (360k diskettes are 48TPI). When I played around with my T2k, I used IBM-PC HD (1.2mb) diskettes and they worked fine.

These are 96TPI QD disk drives (360k diskettes are 48TPI). When I played around with my T2k, I used IBM-PC HD (1.2mb) diskettes and they worked fine.
--------
Interesting; not my experience. I just may have to fire up one of my QD systems and do some serious testing.

Back in the good old days I did occasionally have trouble using DD disks in QD drives (HD disks weren't around then), but have never had a problem with newer DD disks. I _have_ had problems with HD disks the few times I tried them though; they have a lower coercivity than the DD and QD disks (which are the same material AFAIK, just verified to higher QC standards), so the strength of the magnetic fields would be lower than what the QD drive is designed for. As a matter of fact I just had a lengthy exchange with Herb Johnson; he insists there's no difference at all between 48TPI DD and 96TPI QD disks and it's just a marketing ploy.

Did you ever try any good DD disks in your T2K?

YMMV; I guess the best thing is to try both and see how they work, or get some real QD disks.

mike

Last edited:

I'm weighing-in on the opposite side of the scale here. I always had better luck with DSDD 48-tpi than with the DSHD disks. IIRC, Tandy recommended the DSDD ones also:

http://support.radioshack.com/produ...sp?sku_id=26-5103&Name=Tandy Desktops&Reuse=N

If you can get DD 96-tpi, they might be even better, but mebbe not worth much extra cost.

Uhh, if I can find 'em, I have some Lotus Symphony disks here (somewhere, in storage, I think). Mebbe I can dig 'em up in the next week-or-so (don't hold your breath tho).

--T

I used Athan 5.25" DS/DD 360kb media to make all my Altos 5-5AD / 580 disks, and had no issues, and have not. It has a DS/QD drive.

I also, over MANY years, used DS/DD media in my CoCo3, as my drive 0 was 360k, but Drive 1/2 were M4853's (Tandy 2000 720kb 5.25" DS/QD), and I still ahve them to this day - couple of spares, as well. Those 53's were a boon for us coco'ers!!!

T

Back