• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Some things happened to drop in...

Zeela

Experienced Member
Some computers added to the collection!

A swedish C64.

A boxed Plus/4. The box is tatty but at least the computer works.

A boxed printer of the Commodore brand.

A VTech Laser 500. Not boxed... :(

Some VTech Socrates stuff. Why did I buy this? I really don't know... ;)

A boxed VTech VZ200.

It almost seems like I collect Commodore and VTech stuff :D

// Z

Things that I intend to use can just as well be unboxed. Things that I mostly intend to store away are better boxed, as they stack more easily. Most of my collection belongs to the first category, so I'm generally picking up the unboxed stuff other collectors are not so hot about.

I'm not fussed whether my aquisitions are boxed or unboxed. In fact, those that I have received in the original box I've usually unpacked into a bigger box, where I can get at them more easily.

I have kept the original boxes though in case I ever sell them, as collectors looking for resale value seem to pay more for these

Hey, I have a Vtech Socrates too, though I have yet to get anything beyond the base system. It is mildly intriguing.

On the whole boxed versus unboxed thing... These days if something happens to come in the box that I acquire, I tend to keep it, unless it's ridiculously huge (like the Tandy Model 4P box). Sometimes it makes it easier to store on my shelving complex, sometimes it doesn't. It all depends. Even though I'm a hardcore collector, having a working system is the most important thing to me when it comes right down to it. With that in mind, I can say that outside of software, most of my stuff is definitely unboxed for space maximization purposes (and the fact that there often is no original box).

I even save the boxes of some brand new items that I buy, just in case. In 25 years from now, perhaps my Asus barebone Athlon64 PC will be collectable, and I kept the box in good condition! :) Judging by how many boxes I see in the garbage room, I might be unique in doing this.

As Carlsson said, there was some computers (not just MSX) with Arabic keyboards. And there were some with KANJI-characters so why not Hebrew.

But I have to agree with NathanAllan, it's way too expensive!

// Z

There has been some additions to my collection since I posted here last.

First a "little" pile of Luxor-computers. Luxor was a Swedish computer manufacturer in the seventies and eighties.

This lot didn't do anything to help with my storage problem. ;)

And then I found this little thing for the Commodore section of the collection:

Now I'm quite happy with the Commodore section. A boxed SX-64 is the only thing I really feel is missing now.

// Z

I realize that I haven't showed off some more of this years additions... ;)

Yes, I must be crazy.

Two boxed Dragon 32s

Two CGL M5, one boxed with a starter pack and one loose with some software

Two Spectravideo 318, one loose and one boxed (Mk II)

A boxed Goldstar FC-200 (a regular MSX1 machine)

A loose not so white ZX80 without any accessories

A boxed Philips G7000

// Z

And then I found this little thing for the Commodore section of the collection:

A Vic 1001??? What the???

I'd never heard of one of these but I did a google search and sure enough, there they were! A Japanese remix, correct?

Great find!

One could argue that the VIC-20 is a "rest-of-the-world" remix as the VIC-1001 were released in Japan about six month before the VIC-20 were released in the USA. ;)

// Z

Somewhere I recently read that the 1001 was inspired from the movie 2001. At the same time, the 20 was already decided, but in Japan they thought 1001 was a prettier number than 20. I can't tell how accurate that is.

Back