• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

DDR2 arrangement

evildragon

Veteran Member
Ok, on my new IBM ThinkCentre, it has FOUR DDR2 slots, one of them are factory filled..

It goes like this.

(Top)
DIMM 1 - BLUE - 512MB
DIMM 2 - BLUE - EMPTY
DIMM 3 - WHITE - EMPTY
DIMM 4 - WHITE - EMPTY

What I'll do is get a matching 512MB stick (brand, size, and speed), but which slot do I put it in for Dual Channel? Slot 2 or 3?

Ok, on my new IBM ThinkCentre, it has FOUR DDR2 slots, one of them are factory filled..

It goes like this.

(Top)
DIMM 1 - BLUE - 512MB
DIMM 2 - BLUE - EMPTY
DIMM 3 - WHITE - EMPTY
DIMM 4 - WHITE - EMPTY

What I'll do is get a matching 512MB stick (brand, size, and speed), but which slot do I put it in for Dual Channel? Slot 2 or 3?

put it in slot 3

Why not get the docs from IBM?
Because the docs suck and don't mention anything about the colored banks?

Picture2-1.png

Nobody criticized you for asking. Take a breath and calm down.

If the Wiki conflicts with something else, then it's time to do more reading.

evildragon,

I have a GigaByte Triton MB, with 2 each blue and white ram slots. According to the manual, you should have 2 sticks in the same colored slot to be able to use dual-channel ram (double memory bandwidth).

So, a pair of 512MB sticks in the blue slots will give a total of 1024MB ram with dual-channel capability. This is, in fact, the way my board is set up.

Kent

I don't know about DDR2 but you couldn't go wrong with the old DDR. If you put the 2nd stick in the wrong slot, you still got your 1 Gig of RAM but it only worked in Single Channel mode :) AFAIK, DDR2 works in pairs so you can't go wrong (much). I don't think you can fry anything by putting the 2nd stick in the wrong bank. It's been like this since forever :)

Cheers
Bojan

I don't know about DDR2 but you couldn't go wrong with the old DDR. If you put the 2nd stick in the wrong slot, you still got your 1 Gig of RAM but it only worked in Single Channel mode :) AFAIK, DDR2 works in pairs so you can't go wrong (much). I don't think you can fry anything by putting the 2nd stick in the wrong bank. It's been like this since forever :)

Cheers
Bojan
Yea, I want the dual channel, not single channel.

I got the answers I needed, thanks all those that helped!

Back