• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PDP 11/40 pics

My wife would KILL me if I brought something like that home!!!

I ALMOST brought home a G5 9672 IBM S/390 a while back....freebie, just load-and-go... I sent her pictures on her phone, and she reminded me she had a friend, who's husband was a divorce lawyer....

Man, it was running, ready to go, even the thinkpad for controlling it, the dude was even gonna help me set it up, EVERYTHING....

<sigh>

The sacrifices we make for marital bliss....

T

My wife drove with me to pick it up...10 hours each way. It was fun actually, a chance to spend some time without the kids. I plan to store and run the system at my work anyway.

Oh man I'd love to get a chance to work on one of those. I learned about PDP-11 along with IBM/360 and a few other systems 10 years ago from and old college handbook :) I was 20 back then and very enthusiastic about mainframes.

SainT

P.S. Is it just me or does the C64 breadbin look a lot like VT100 keyboard :)

I once had to chance to pick up a pdp-10 for free (about 1990).

It was in the local city hall, but as some old employee told:
yes, they brought it in through that wall over there. There was a window then, they removed the pane and it just fit.

When I came looking, on the other side of that (now bricked up) wall was a complete new wing to the building...

I let it be.

Huh? How'd that happen? :)

Oh, the guy was wrapping it in bubblewrap so that SharkOnWheels could bring it back with him while he was working over in the Netherlands.

Seems that the machine was off to one side and tipped the houseboat over, sending it to the bottom.

That's the way it goes, sometimes.

This post, of course, is 4 days early :)

Back