• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Keyboard Repair - Buckling Spring

Great Hierophant

Veteran Member
I have an IBM Model M keyboard (1391401) with a somewhat bent spring under the Backspace key, making it nonfunctional. I want to replace it, the key otherwise works fine. Does anyone know which spring I need and where I can find one. I love the keyboard otherwise and see no need to replace it wholesale. I don't care for Unicomp keyboards as much as the IBM's.

Last edited:
I haven't seen that style of Model M keyboard before. The ones I have (earlier models) all come apart far more easily with screws and/or clips. Getting the springs out is involved, but not hard and doesn't take redesigning the keyboard.

Open yours up and see how it looks!

In case they don't get back to me, does anyone know of a bulk source for the springs used in the Model M?

How many do you need? The best source is probably another model M since they are very common keyboards (I'm typing on one now.)

If yours is in bad shape then a $40 replacement makes it spare parts. ;)

I have a whole load from a broken Model M. I can send you some, but I'm in the UK... probably just worth getting a new one.

I am also looking for a source to buy the springs in bulk, say 101 or so. Anyone know of such a source or the specs I need to give to the spring manufacturer? I am also trying to determine the best way to fit the springs to the little knob they go on without having to break the keyboard or distort the spring. The knob is designed to really grab onto the spring.

True IBM Model Ms have a better build quality than Unicomp keyboards. The keys require more pressure to press, the keyboards are heavier, the LED faceplate looks business-like, not dayglo. The texture of the frame is smoother and the keycaps are of higher quality.

If you want to install a spring into the keyboard socket, use a pair of tweezers like those used for plucking hair. Long, thin and metal will allow you to push the spring onto the knob.

Last edited:
Back