• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hello from Kansas!

wd0dbs

Hi guys,

Doug is the name. Got interested in computers back when the Altair showed up in Popular Electronics. Couldn't afford it then. Got married and had kids instead. But did time as Radio Shack Computer Center manager here in Topeka back in 1982-1985. Still have model 1's,4's,100's in the basement. Work as a programmer currently on mainframes.

Doug D
WD0DBS

Hello Doug and welcome to the VC Forums!

Sounds like a good collection! :)

Enjoy!

Welcome! DOn't worry, I couldn't afford one then and still can't now. If course, then I wasn't alive and now I am only approaching 16...

Nice collection! All I've got that is Tandy is a TRS-80 Model III and a 1000SX I am looking to sell.

So you work on mainframes, eh? What kind? DO you work on those new IBM Bladecenters, or do you specialize in the older ones? I've always wanted to have a mainframe, but even if it is vintage it would be too much power and far too much money for it and power expenses. Maybe I'll get my hands on a Mini, the next best thing.

--Ryan

The Bladecenter is not a mainframe, its a server. The current IBM Mainframe line is the z Series. z9 and z10 I believe.

Welcome aboard Doug!

oops

oops

I forgot to add my tandy 1000A, Zeos 386 laptop(yeah right) And of course all my current (6 PC) machines.

I would have to agree on the definition of "mainframe" has been skewed by some(even my brother-in-law). I work on a machine that runs z/OS. definitely not an intel based server class. Although most of the last 20 years has been on IBM's VSE/ESA based mainframes. Still same type of hardware just smaller(lower cost) operating system.

Doug

Ah thats right, I get the names mixed up sometimes. Well anyhow, welcome to the forums, and I envy you for having experience on the mainframes.

--Ryan

Welcome to the forum Doug! In addition to another old-timer, it's good to see another ham radio operator (even part-time hams) around here. There are at least two other hams on the forum, besides you and me.

Howard
AC4FS

Kia ora Doug,

I am jealous of all those Tandy machines. They are few and far between down here.

Welcome to the forums

Tez

Back