• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Gaming on a GRiDCASE 1520

eXTended8088

Experienced Member
Hi all :)

Please excuse my ignorance on this one. I am new to orange gas plasma screens :) I have a GRiDCASE 1520, and was wondering if any old CGA games would play on this bad boy. I had a old copy of Popcorn, a arkanoid clone, and installed it. It starts but displays a block on the left hand side of the screen, but thats it. I am thinking the gas plasma screens cant handle graphics, even though it is supposedly 2 color cga? and 4 color cga ouput to a external CGA monitor.I have not tried a text adventure game yet on this, but I am sure that will at least work. I hope... :confused:

Thanks!

I am a big fan of the Grid 1520 and have a couple of them. However I am not a gamer. The red plasma screen is a monochrome display, and the external display will supposedly work with a CGA monitor but I have never tried that. I imagine that would also neccessitate a CGA driver but it may be built in . You might ask this question in the Grid group in Yahoo. They're a friendly group that can answer most of your Grid 15xx questions

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rugrid-laptop/

I'm not sure but you might have to register in order to post a question.

Lawrence

You can play cga games on the GRidcase 1520, and if you have the vga adapter you can play ega,vga,and cga games. I was just recently playing Dangerous Dave on the plasma screen.

Thanks to you both!!! I was kinda curious on what can play. I believe this just a plain jane 1520, with CGA out and the plasma screen. Is this machine pretty rare?

Not necessally rare but renowned for it's rugged build. It was also very expensive and Grid was one of the favorite Laps' used by the army and large corporations who supplied their employees with Laptops, such as the 2 I have branded by the Canadian Post Office. These both had connections through it's buillt-in modems to a DEC protocol and another protocol which I couldn't recognise by phone to a mainframe for e-mail or pricing and other info.

It was also used by NASA as a backup on many of their space ventures, including the moon landings. It was used in VietNam and Grid publicised it's survival from being dropped from helicopters. It's magnesium case was light and virtuably indestructable.

Unfortunately it's weakest feature was it's Conner HDD which while It may survive dropping from helicopters was abysmal when faced with time, and they are notorious for succumbing to "striction" as any Grid collector will attest and has been the main current of problems in the Grid forums. Unfortunately these otherwise magnificent laptops hardcoded in their BIOS
only 3 small-capacity models. Only recently have some of the dedicated Grid people with the help of one of our VCF monitors managed to get out of that box. It does however involve programming EPROMS to accept other higher-capacity drives.

The other problem with them was that they demanded SIPPS in their spacious 8-socket Rams. Understandable if you're going to toss them out of helicopters and SIMMs would simply pop out. SIPPs are however no longer manufactured to my knowledge and finding them can be difficult.

>>> If anyone has 1 meg SIPPs or greater PLEASE,PLEASE contact me.<<<

The Grid 1520 could use Ext ram as well as expanded and I have run Windows3 and it's programs on my 1520. You could also install MSDOS 6.22 on it. My models both have red Plasma screens altho some had back-lit mono. It had a built-in 2400 modem. It had a video out of CGA but had an adapter slot where normally one used a battery cartridge or an AC adaptor, and one could plug in a VGA module displaying color or many others such as a SCSI adapter, Ethernet, or an IEEE module to accept and control standard signals from external sensor apparratus. It could also use external floppies both 5.25 and 3.5. I don't have the Ethernet or IEEE (403 ? The same as on the Commodores I believe)

I am obviously enamored with this LT, but it is bulky and heavy despite its Magnesium case,
but as that now-dead reactionary Rifle Association head Charlton Heston said about his killing machines, I'll hold on to it untill my death no matter what.

Lawrence

Uhh, L...is your time-release anti-stress medication kicking in?

a) There never was any Moon landing, and
b) The last (manned) landing didn't happen in 1972, and
3) The GRiDCase wasn't even born yet!

...and VietNam? By who's army? (Ours bugged out in '73).

--T

Last edited:
In desperation, I've soldered half inch lengths of suitable gauge fuse wire to the contacts of an equivalent SIMM.
---------
So have I; as to the HD, although I don't have a GC, I've used Disk Manager & equivalent pgms to replace/upgrade HDs in systems that didn't have the appropriate parameter options.

m

Ahh T, I offed the prescription. It was my age kicking in. I, like many who have lived too long, tend to compress time and that sometimes screws up chronology. Whats a decade or so to one in his 8th. :^)) It was in one or other US military venture, and here's some sites detailing events from Grid history.

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20020090827_2002146711.pdf

http://oldcomputers.net/grid1101.html

http://www.netmagic.net/~clare/GRiDpage.html
This one in particular has a good history and some neat pics under the title "Grid in Space"
NASA named the Grid "SPOC" (Shuttle Portable Onboard Computer)

Grid was bought out by Tandy and for a while continued producing the Rugged models with the magnesium-alloy case. Later Tandy issued the inferior plastic-cased models which were manufactured in in Asia. The Grid 1755 , the DECPC 320p and a Tandy-branded Laptop were virtually identical except for labels and made by the same company.

Lawrence

Uhh, L...is your time-release anti-stress medication kicking in?

a) There never was any Moon landing, and
b) The last (manned) landing didn't happen in 1972, and
3) The GRiDCase wasn't even born yet!

...and VietNam? By who's army? (Ours bugged out in '73).

--T

Back