• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

I just hit the MOTHERLOAD!!!

VintageComputerman

Veteran Member
I don't know what I am going to get yet, however it is several vans full from a two story barn used to house a computer business inventory and it is OLD!!!

Over 200 computer cases if that gives you some idea.:wow:

Just old PCs? Any clue what type of systems they are?

And the big question, where are you going to store all this stuff?

Yea, given present discussions, if they have been in a barn maybe a fumigation of the whole stack is the first thing needed :)

HAH! Dang... I can just see him throwing a bunch of those foggers in the pile!
Be like watching "The Negotiator" live!

hehe - nive visual....hehehe... "...INCOMING!!!!...."

T

I should have some motherload pictures sometime this weekend at the earliest. I suspect I will end up with two van loads full when I pick this stuff up in a few days.

In the mean time. I just scored two working Gateways with all the original software. The best one is a 486 dx/2 66 fully loaded with both size floppies, a CD player and tape back up. There is also internet and intranet cards and it's running DOS 6. Both are mint and were well taken care of. The other one is a 468 dx/2 50 in similar condition. I was lucky to get a box of original software, drivers and GAMES!!! :cool:

I just got 2 SUV loads (I'm talking filled with only room for the driver. I'm surprised that they didn't get arrested bringing it all here on two consecutive days) of boards, computers, cards, cables, and all kinds of parts.

Down-side is that most of them are P2s and, as such, are too old to be useful and too new to be Vintage. There are a couple of 486s and an IBM P1, but, so far, everything looks like it's going to be recycled.

When P2/Celeron processors become Vintage, I'm going to be RICH LOL

I AM getting a little flak about having them piled 4 high down one side of a 30 foot hallway, so, as I get them processed and take out anything that may be of some use, I toss them over the back fence into the yard of the guy that collects metal for a business and that's that.

Ooooo, a Gateway with the 486 DX50! Yep, I got my money worth out of that one. I had to start out with the 386/25 because I couldn't afford anything better. A year later, I got the upgrade motherboard with the DX50 on it. I still have the full sized Gateway tower -- power supply still works, all the rest of it too. There is a Asus motherboard in there now with a PIII 1Mhz. Even runs Windows XP just like a real computer.

As I wrote in the other thread, Windows XP on 8 MHz (Pentium class) apparently is doable. Myself I'm pondering whether I should go pick up a small motherload on Saturday afternoon, or wait until next weekend.

By the way, why was this thread put in For Sale before the original poster even has picked up and sorted through all the barn stuff? Maybe he'll arrange a true car boot sale as soon as the stuff arrives? That would be quite cool, to arrange a swap meet on incoming vans where the seller gets first dibs on keeping items, and everything else is up for grabs.

We could try XP on a HP-85. That one is 0.625Mhz. (I know, doesn't run the 8088 instruction set either).

And I keep doing that. I start to put down 1000Mhz, then forget to change the M to a G. At least I am good at that one now.

OK, I just got home with the first load. Sorry, I forgot my camera. The place was loaded full and no spiders, lol. Several "real old IBM's", Apple items and a few Epson, HP & Compacts but mostly IBM's stacked like cord wood. 486 and older as well as video & sound cards, cables, memory, keyboards, floppie and CD drives, etc. I took around 90 to 100 computers total and left around 50 more with one huge pile of vintage monitors and boxes of related parts, I still have to pick up. I drive a 3/4 ton van and the rear leaf springs were flat, if that gives you an idea how heavy it was. I could just see through the back window. I have to drink a beer now to relax but tomorrow I hope to get a few pictures for review here.

OK, I unloaded my van. There were not as many computers as I thought (I was really tired last night), although I wasn't off by much. Overall, most were 486's with several very early pentium's. The majority were IBM 300GL and PL series. Boxes of parts, several towers. Many CPU's and vintage Ram too.

The best part was 17 vintage computers ranging from 3 identical Apples with monitors, keyboards, mouse and cables. Two very old IBM's with 5.25 floppie drives, A Compacq 286 & 386, a real nice old IBM from the UK, an Epson and several others I can't remember at the moment.

I also have a nice box of isa video cards, sound cards, etc. More 386 and 486 mother boards, some early laptop parts and several IBM B&W monitors.
Later on, I hope to post a few photos.

Back