• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

WTB: IBM Z50 or batteries for same

...I'm in the market for an IBM Z50 with a good battery. A dry cell kit (adaptor to use AA batteries with a Z50) would be a plus...

The batteries will be Li-Ion, either a high-capacity version that extends a good inch from the back, or the normal version that is flush. I don't know of any adapters (other than a small dock that has only a proprietary serial connection and power connector, same as for the main unit), the batteries were specific for the model. Yes, I've got the parts for mine, but keeping them.

Keep looking on eBay, I've seen Z50 stuff pop up there...

I'd look on the battery site online, onlybatteries.com, etc....
Check the sites that have a zillion laptop batteries, and ya might get lucky.

Alternatively, you can go to places like above onlybatteries.com, maxamps.com, etc...and buy LiIon cells to rebuild the pack.

But be CAREFUL if you don;t know what you are doing, as lithium-based packs have an EXTREME amount of energy, and some may not have safeties in place - think Dell+Sony+Apple 3 years ago!

There are some LiPo/LiIon cells that can burst near 300A, which is durn near enough to turn a car engine over!!

T

But be CAREFUL if you don;t know what you are doing, as lithium-based packs have an EXTREME amount of energy, and some may not have safeties in place - think Dell+Sony+Apple 3 years ago!

Like fixing the brakes on a car I prefer to have somebody who repacks batteries all the time do this job. A google search found three websites offering re-celling for laptop batteries. They say that if the circuit board in the battery is bad (this turns off the charging current when the battery is fully charged) they can't do it for you. One of them says that they will offer a battery of their own if they have it. One site said it costs $179 to recell a li-ion battery.

Sean

Back