• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

IBM Writing Assistant 1.0 (image)

Yzzerdd

Veteran Member
I slipped in my IBM Writing Assistant 1.0 disk only to find that I get the following error:

PLINK86 Overlay Loader- Fatal error- Disk I/O error in Write.exe

And of course I hadn't gotten around to backing up/imaging the disk. THe disk looks good and had the data, but that one little bit is missing. Anyone have an image or the files they could e-mail to me?

Or at least a solution?

--Ryan

I've got it right here, but is there any way I can convince you to use *any* other word processing program? Writing Assistant is barely one step above edlin...

HEHE, I use a few others but I like Writing Assistant pretty well. Among Writing Assistant is VolksWriter(a year or two older, line graphics) and WordPerfect 4.0 and 5.0. BUT Writing Assistant does pretty much what I need it to do, but I havent tested how it does med/large titles (bigger fonts). I used to use Microsoft Works, but I am drifting away from Microsoft as their moves get stupider and stupider.

--Ryan
Jack.Harvey@RDFIG.net

I would probably want to steer you toward Microsoft Word for DOS (5.0 or earlier, with the Lotus-style menus -- has support for the 6300 graphics mode!) but I can sympathize with "it does what I need and I'm used to it".

I'll try to remember to image it for you tonight, as well as provide all the files. I don't believe it's copy-protected. If I forget, pester me in a few days.

I think Writing Assistant did use some form of copy protection
via some hidden files on the diskette.

Well Windows has the feature to show hidden files, and I think just copying the files will do. We'll see though.

I've used Works and it is cool, but I like exploring the other vintage software. Works is easy to use, and I like that I can go between the computers with it, but again I like to look at the other software out there instead of just sticking with "mainstream" corporate giants.

--Ryan

Well that's a surprise -- it *is* copy-protected. Very simple protection (sector missing on track 5) but it's there. If I can't crack it in ten minutes or so, I'll just image the thing in different formats and include the programs so you can restore with whatever works.

I tried it and even tried on the original file you sent. The original file when running off 3.5 on a 5150 gives me a data error and the Write.exe REFUSES to be copied onto disk or onto the HDD.

Mike Brutman's DSKIMAGE allows there to be sector errors copied from diskette to diskette via image. Would you mind trying it and imaging to your HDD and then posting/emailing that?
VintageIBM.net/5150_software top of the page

--Ryan

I tried it and even tried on the original file you sent. The original file when running off 3.5 on a 5150 gives me a data error and the Write.exe REFUSES to be copied onto disk or onto the HDD.

Don't use the files; I wrote previously and in the .zip file that I didn't have time to crack the protection. Write one of the diskette images back to a 5.25" disk and run it from Drive A. Write it on the machine you'll be running it on. (Try "snatchit" first, then teledisk if that doesn't work.) If it still has a problem, let me know specifically what the error is.

Also, do NOT run the program that "copies" the program to the hard disk. All such programs are evil and can result in data loss, because it transfers the copy-protection to the hard disk which can screw with disk defragmenters and other similar programs. Run it from the floppy until I have a chance to crack it.

Mike Brutman's DSKIMAGE allows there to be sector errors copied from diskette to diskette via image. Would you mind trying it and imaging to your HDD and then posting/emailing that?

No offense to Mike but his utility is for gracefully handling sector errors, not for reproducing copy protection. The files I provided (which include the programs that created them) handily do that.

I think using the copy function sets a flag on the diskette
to keep track of how many times the program has been
installed to a hard drive. Thats why it requires no write protect
tab on the diskette. Apparently you are only allowed to install five times.

Also, do NOT run the program that "copies" the program to the hard disk. All such programs are evil and can result in data loss, because it transfers the copy-protection to the hard disk which can screw with disk defragmenters and other similar programs. Run it from the floppy until I have a chance to crack it.

I have these vague memories of cracking this program a decade ago-I think I even did it for my mother so she could run her old and trusty word processor off the hard drive. Cracking for mom, now that's a noble effort!

I'd be happy to take a look at this.

sometime later:

here's what needs to change:

Comparing files WRITE.EXE and WRITE.EX_
00000DB9: 01 F2
00000DBA: 00 07
00000DBB: CB FF
00000DBC: 90 E0

or, grab a hex editor and edit write.exe
search for: "FF E0 B8 F2 07 FF E0"
replace with:"FF E0 B8 01 00 CB 90"

tested for 1/2 minute. It at least got me to the opening menu, and it did seem as easy as it was back then too, so I don't think there is anything else that needs to be done.

god luck!

Last edited:
Guess I forgot to post back to here.

I managed to get a working copy from Mikey99. He had already "fixed" his to allow for copying, probably with something similair to Hargle's code. Anyhow, I just formatted over my disk and copied Mikey99's onto it, and it works like a charm.

Thankyou all for the help!

--Ryan

Guess I forgot to post back to here.

I managed to get a working copy from Mikey99.

Thankyou all for the help!

--Ryan

I knew that you had gotten the program going. I was asking for two reasons. One was if it would be possible to use the program after downloading it from that site. This leads to the second question, which is could the other programs in the series be made to work. I am coveting the whole set, I was wondering if you could help the rest of us obtain a copy if it is tricky.

But this also begs the question of whether these programs can be successfully used by a person who understands how to use Works or Office, but who doesn't have the manuals.

Sean

here's what needs to change:

Comparing files WRITE.EXE and WRITE.EX_
00000DB9: 01 F2
00000DBA: 00 07
00000DBB: CB FF
00000DBC: 90 E0

or, grab a hex editor and edit write.exe
search for: "FF E0 B8 F2 07 FF E0"
replace with:"FF E0 B8 01 00 CB 90"

This worked like a charm. What tools did you use to examine/crack it? For easier stuff I can get by with debug; is that you what used?

This worked like a charm. What tools did you use to examine/crack it? For easier stuff I can get by with debug; is that you what used?

soft-ice 2.80 For all DOS debugging, I don't think it can be beat. I'm also really used to working with it, since I've been playing with it for a decade or more. I use it at work all the time too, since I still get to write DOS based software to test out some custom hardware we're working on occasionally.

I still use debug too, but it's tougher to do breakpoints with it, and the ability to view/edit/scroll through memory and code in s-ice make it a really powerful tool.

1) all I did was boot to a clean DOS disk (soft-ice and himem.sys don't get along well)
2) loaded soft-ice
3) ran "ldr write.exe" - this ldr program comes with soft-ice and lets you load a program and it then pops you into s-ice at the first instruction of that program.
4) typed "bpint 13" in the command window - this sets a breakpoint at any int 13 call.
5) exit back out of s-ice (ctrl-S) to let it run. it immediately popped me back into s-ice right on top of the copy protection, because it was trying to read some magic sector off the disk. All I had to do then is examine what it was trying to do, and see what flags it may set during the check. In this case, it sets AX=0 or 1 depending on if the protection passes or not.
6) trace through the ret from the protection and note the call after the return,
7) exit the program and restart it. this time stop at that calling address-now you're at the top of the protection routine.
8) trace into the call, and now change the code there to "mov ax,1", "ret"
9) hex edit the actual executable and test it out.

I think I've just overstepped the AUP for the board here. sorry.

Not if it helps us get old software running! :)

I have thus far avoided s-ice because I try to do my debugging on the hardware it runs on, which means I'm limited to debug and turbo debugger on my XTs.

I am envious of being able to trap an int13 call *wherever it is* and jump right to it -- hell, I could probably crack stuff in 10 minutes with that kind of functionality. I guess it's time for me to start using it...

Back