• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Epson PX-8 on fleaBay

Sharkonwheels

Veteran Member
Epson PX-8

Did noone read the fine print?
A PX-8 with a PF-10 floppy drive, *AND* cables for PF-10 and printer?

I ended up winning it for a paltry $71! Last one I think was around that much, just for a PX-8 itself!

T

Geez - the PF-10's go for that much ALONE!

Now I have a PX-8 to cannibalize for experiments...

I know...I know....but I gotta practice on SOMETHING!
I want to see if a low-profile ZIF socket can be haggled in, and a MultiROM like I did on the PC-8201a - now THAT would be slick!

T

Epson PX-8

Did noone read the fine print?
A PX-8 with a PF-10 floppy drive, *AND* cables for PF-10 and printer?

I ended up winning it for a paltry $71! Last one I think was around that much, just for a PX-8 itself!

T

Several months ago, I had a chance to get one like yours, (with two other oldies) but the guy would never respond to the emails I sent. It wasn't on ebay but offered through another method I use. Finally, around 10:30 at night he emailed me back to say he was sorry, he had email problems and didn't know I was interested. He said, hey, if you want them, they are yours. I just put them on the curb, covered with cardboard to keep the rain and snow off of them. They pick up garbage in the morning. Unfortunately, I had to let them go as I was over an hour away. They were free too.

EXTREMELY lousy packing job...

Not one scrap of packing peanut, not one piece of anything for cushioning except....get this....plastic grocery bags.

Yup...incredible! 2 corners of the box were split open top-to-bottom, you could peer inside, PX-8 on bottom, PF-10 on top of it, and all the books/manuals on top of that.

Incredible.

I'll get pix up soon of the demolition package.

T

EXTREMELY lousy packing job...

Not one scrap of packing peanut, not one piece of anything for cushioning except....get this....plastic grocery bags.

Yup...incredible! 2 corners of the box were split open top-to-bottom, you could peer inside, PX-8 on bottom, PF-10 on top of it, and all the books/manuals on top of that.

Incredible.

T

Unfortunately this is a way too common occurence. Every machine I purchase on ebay I request that the shipper package the unit real good and that I have had problems receiving damaged goods due to insufficient packaging. Last week I got a small monitor in with 30% of the space in the box without packing. Of course the monitor was smashed to pieces. I am supposed to be getting a replacement though. I have story after story similar to this one.
I actually got a luggable a couple of years ago with no packaging at all. The plastic mounts for the CRT were broken off. I contacted the seller about the poor packaging and the reply I got was "well, the computer didn't mean anything to me."
What feedback do you leave for these transactions(even if you get your money back)? My experience has been that if you leave negative or neutral feedback, they retaliate and return the same for you even though everything was perfect on your end. An intimidation tactic that keeps buyers from leaving the feedback other potential buyers need to see.

Hmm, I received a Heath H89 that was totally destroyed. He returned all my money including shipping costs. In this case, I don't think he realized how shock sensitive the computer was. It was a learning experience for both of us. I found that the H89 would have to be super well packed and double boxed for any chance of making it.

Ooh, forgot, the seller refunded about 1/2 the amount.
Fair enough, and I didn't have to fight with him - he was straight-up, and that was appreciated.

On the Epson front, picked up another one, about $50 shipped, and this one had the MultiFunction-64 add-on, which has the 64kb RamDisk, and the extra ROM socket, which is what interested me.

Works fine, and even the battery takes+holds a charge - how long, I do not know yet. Since this is the ugliest of the bunch, but not really BAD, just not as near-perfect as the others, this one may be the guinea pig for the ZIF-socket transplant to the mainboard.

Incidentally, this one had an EPROM with a few utils in the 2nd socket on the PX-8 itself, and it had the DAK chip in the MF64 unit. DAKCOMM comm program, as I'm sure some of you have run into.

So - any toys I'm missing for this? Well, besides the TF-20 5.25" FDD, which I have read sucked eggs anyway....

Currently I have:

(1) PX-8, one NIB with all manuals/chips
(2) Used units, one is an 8.5/10, other is 7/10, and 1 used doc/chip set
(1) 128KB RamDisk undercarriage unit
(1) MultiFunction-64 RamDisk/Modem/ROM undercarriage unit
(1) PF-10 Floppy Disk Drive
(1) PF-10 FDD cable
(1) Serial cable - unmarked, so I don't know it's purpose
(3) Original Epson HOAAA AC Adapters - Same for all: FDD, PX-8, super NICE!
(1) Original PF-10 manual, and utilities disk manual

So - what am I missing for the PX-8 collection?

Oh - anyone got a Molex part number for that chip carrier?
I'd love to track some down, so I can make some custom PROMs for these!

T

Last edited:
Yup - copies of the disk came with the PF-10, and the original manuals for both the PF-10 and for the utility disk.

Are you asking because you need a copy?
Lemme know, as it should be IMD/TeleDisk friendly, and is supported by 22Disk.

I've actually made a few more disks with stuff from the WC CD, PX-Dock, etc...

T

Just curious. I only have the one utility disk, nothing else. It took a while to track an original down. You did not mention specifically.
bd

OK - I FOUND the part number for the Molex chip carrier used in the PX-8's:

Molex 50-39-5288 or 50395288

Now - mebbe someone else has better luck finding some?
Anyone got any hookups in the electronics surplus industry that can maybe run a search to see if anyone has old stock on these?

Link to the datasheet:
Linkage

T

Ok, well, I'll keep an eye open for the socket in anything I might be working on. I tried my favourite parts supplier who has a number of obsolete parts, but, struck out.

Back