• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

My small collection

I just took a picture of my HC-90 and HC-91 with all the tapes I have for them. Picture

@Terry - I guess we should continue the talk on shipping in private ;)

Hello again :)

Due to some unfortunate events, I was out of the game for a couple of months, but luckily I'm back on track.

@Terry - I'm sorry for leaving the whole thing like that, but the events were out of my control. I hope I didn't upset you too much :pray:

It's time for a small update:

- Canon V-20 - works
- Compaq Portable III - this one has a problem with the power supply; I hope to get it fixed.
- Jet [made by Electromagnetica Romania] - pretty much mint condition; previous owner didn't know how to start it :)
- ICE Felix Student PC/XT - it was an XT clone, with Hercules graphics and a Western Digital 10MB MFM drive that sounds like a cd-rom during seek :) I couldn't find any relevant info on this machine. It came to me with the original monitor and a Robotron keyboard. Works like a charm.
- Macintosh LCIII - it's actually a 475 in a III case, with a 25MHz/33MHz overclock switch, with 132MB Ram, 2GB HDD and an UTP network card.

The last one I need help to identify. I'm guessing it's some kind of control panel for some machine, but I just liked the way it looks and bought it [for less than $2] - Picture - the connector [top right] is quite weird looking. It's on that cable, I just put it there for the picture. If anyone has an idea, please let me know.

I also found a couple of nice cards, like a Creative Video Blaster CT6000, and AccelGraphics Falcon Board, a Mylex DAC960 3-port SCSI controller, a couple of Voodoo 1 cards and others I don't remember at the moment.

I think that's a decent comeback after my "break".

Update:

These are not vintage, but they're pretty rare in my country :)

SGI Octane, Dual R10k, 512MB Ram, 3 x 18GB 10k rpm Fujitsu, MXI, SI, IRIX 6.5.22 [this is my first SGI machine]
Intergraph TDZ-2000, it's more or less a PC, with 2 x PII 333MHz, 512MB SDRam, 2 x 18 GB 10k rpm Seagate RAID 0, 160GB Seagate ATA133 although the chipset can only do ATA66], Matrox G200 AGP, 2 x Voodoo2 SLI, some weird looking video-capture-manipulation-thingie card and a Terratec DMX 1024 sound card. I'm using this to play my favorite old games even if none of the use the 2nd CPU :) It's a good looking and even better performing system.

I've been promised a real vintage machine, but at the moment it's a 50-50 chance that I get it. It's a VISUAL TECHNOLOGY Visual 1050.

Wow, long time, no post :)

It's been months since my last post, but now I'm back. And during this period, I've added a few bits and pieces to my collection.

My collection, as posted on old-computers.com - link.

They don't accept all my machines as part of a "proper" collection, so not everything I have is there...

I'm currently working on my own collection website, so I'll post the link as soon as it's done.

comps.JPG

Yesterday I found a little terminal-like machine that's supposed to act as a terminal for the IBM AS/400: Decision Data LM-488C.

I guess it can be added to my collection since it's controlled by an AMD N80C188-16 so that should make it qualify.

It has a few connectors on the back: COM, LPT, D-Sub, PS/2 Mouse, AT Keyboard [it's missing the connector, but I'll fix that soon] and a standard power plug. It's perfectly quiet since there's nothing moving inside and it doesn't require active cooling.

Here's how it looks on the inside - as clean as possible. It's "software" is on a pair of ROM chips.

It's datasheet is dated April 2oo2 - kinda' recent :)

I'm thinking I might someday find an AS/400 server that might work nicely with this thing [I've been promised an AS/400, but I'm not betting on it].

So, what do you think? Is it worth adding it to a collection?

Well, look at the datasheet [link in my previous post]. It basicly says that it'll work with IBM-Compatible Twinax controllers [it mentions the IBM AS/400 and IBM Series 36/38]. It emulates 3487, 3180, 3197D, 3197C, 3488, 5291.

It also mentions the term "twinax workstation".

I must admit I'm a bit lost :D

Latest additions:

Epson HX-20 - no power adapter, but I can charge it with any 6V 200mA adapter, so I'm covered - works great, came with the case, a few tapes and some listed programs
Commodore ViC-20 - again, no power supply, but I have one that works with it - works like a charm
Electronica CIP-01 - unlicensed Romanian Spectrum clone, it works, but I have no software for it and it doesn't keep the BASIC in ROM, but on a tape that I don't have

IBM RS/6000 Workstation - Type 7011-250, I have no memory for it. The rest looks good.

Apple Powerbook 5300cs - ok, I know it's not quite vintage, but I wanted a PPC laptop and this is it. Unfortunately, it powers up, plays the usual sound, the display backlight comes on, the HDD does a bit of work but there's no image... I need to check this one in detail.

Quick update:

Atari Portfolio - works like a charm and it's quite an interesting machine. I only have the toy and it's charger.
Sinclair Spectrum - the original, no cables, nothing to test it with. I hope to test it soon.
ICE Felix HC-386 - unreleased, it's the most "powerful" machine created in Romania. It uses the same case as the HC-2000. It wasn't released because it had serious problems with heat and the PCB was poorly made. I only managed to start it twice, because of poor soldering on the SIMM slot. This'll take a while, but I think I can get it to work.

Back to work... I just wanted to update my collection a bit.

Hopefully I can get another two machines this week: an ICE Felix HC-2000 [to complete my ICE Felix collection] and a DEC HiNote Ultra II.

And another quick update:

IBM PC 5140 Convertible - first version, no back light - works great, it has 512K, the printer and a couple of COM/LPT adapters, all daisy-chained. I need to find the proper disks to experience the first IBM laptop :)
CIP-03 - no power adapter but I had one around. Works great, yet another Sinclair clone made in Romania
Commodore 64 - I already had one, but this one was dirt cheap so I couldn't say "no" :)
DEC VaxStation 4000/60 - It starts, it has OpenVMS installed, works like a charm, but I didn't really get to check all the configuration... Looks good next to my VS 3100 and 3100/M38

I also got the machines from the previous post [the HC-2000 and DEC HiNote Ultra II]

ICE Felix HC-2000 - Works great, I'm using it with CP/M, nice machine made in Romania
DEC HiNote Ultra II - Ok, not vintage, but still a beautiful machine. DEC really knew what they were doing. It has a P1 MMX @ 166MHz, 96MB RAM, 3.2GB HDD and a bunch of other stuff. It even has the optional 'Multimedia pack' but it's missing one little cover. Still, it works great - I have installed Puppy Linux on it and it's a great little machine.

That's about it for the moment...

You have some very weird and wonderful machines there Acoustiq.

I checked out your website but the collection section seems empty at the moment? Is it empty, or is my broswer just not showing what should be there.

I'll be interested in seeing some pictures of all this exotic gear at some stage. Keep us posted.

Tez

Yeah, the site doesn't have any content yet - I'm working on it, but time's a real problem for me. I hope to get it done by the end of the year...

Nice little machine, but it goes in the Jornada category, although still being a PC. Nice indeed. All I have that's smaller is the Atari Portfolio, but that's another story :)

Back