• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

MAJOR redesign of rubbermallet.org done

thanks guys. yeah i was going for a sleeker look. it was hideous before! i wrote the old one in notepad. lolz.

i know a lot of the very basics as far as HTML, but not enough to write a real nice looking one in notepad. i did the new layout with CoffeeCup HTML Editor 2008. that's the first time i used that software, and i am very impressed with it.

it blows frontpage 2003 out of the water, imo. it has nicer looking templates and not nearly as quirky to use.

Last edited:
*DISCLAIMER: by "buy it" i mean find a serial on the internet, but be assured that i am in no way in support of software piracy.
ninja.gif

Uh, uncool. If it's that good, then fork over the money. Otherwise, don't use it.

Your integrity is worth more.

there i edited that out. don't worry about it.

i have paid for tons of software. i'm sure you've paid for every single piece of commercial and registered shareware programs on your computers.

i did not buy this copy of XP pro i'm on right now in a store, but it is actually still legal because i bought a laptop new a while back with XP pro that i took off of it in favor of debian. used the XP sticker on the bottom of it for my desktop here. i think that's still legal anyway. i don't think it matters what the key is from as long as you only have one copy installed per key.

i'm looking through my programs menu here... out of well over a hundred apps listed, the only commercial programs in there that i haven't purchased legit are poweriso and nero 7. i have a lot of open source and otherwise legal free apps, but just as much of it is stuff that i have paid for.

being a programmer, i know what kind of hard work and effort goes into making software and the guys that do it need to eat and buy clothes for their kids and stuff. i feel especially bad about stealing apps that are written by one guy in his home... like the mIRC guy for example. i am proud to say i paid for my copy of mIRC! thank you khaled mardem-bay. :)

Last edited:
Oh.. for a minute, I thought it meant the old pictures were back..

But very nice, very clean.

/OT
I was looking myself to make a small html only webpage with an index of all my old tools and drivers I gathered, and run it on an XT with your webserv webserver.
I'm just wondering now if there is a tool that can index directories and show the index as an html page- I wasn't planning to do that by hand...

Last edited:
I'm just wondering now if there is a tool that can index directories and show the index as an html page- I wasn't planning to do that by hand...
Many web servers have this functionality built in, e.g. Apache does. It is a matter of enabling the Indexes setting in your httpd.conf or .htaccess file. Probably you can find scripts that create this index offline too, but I can't name one right now.

Of course, if you're going to use Mike C's web server, it is up to him if it has this function.

yes, actually the current source code for that program does do directory indexing! obviously, i haven't uploaded it yet. there is still some stuff i want to add first, but if you'd like i can just compile it as is and send it to you. that'd be no problem at all.

that is a feature that i'd always been meaning to add, because it makes it a VERY nice and easy way to back up files that are on the 500 year old hard disk! the way i went about writing the file indexing code is a direct BIOS calls to get a full list of files/dirs on the partition.

the version you have is horrible lol. i shouldn't have released it. it was even before i fixed some massive bugs in the TCP code. in addition to that, you've probably noticed that a lot of times the page doesn't get send completely or the browser will error out.

all of that is fixed, and now it handles multiple connections at once. :)

let me know if you want it and i'll get on that ASAP. there may be bugs i don't know about yet, it's not been thoroughly tested really.

hmmm i wonder how difficult PHP script support would be to code... hrmmm nevermind.:eek: ... another feature i definitely want to include is support for POST over http, and some sort of primitive support for forms. one nice use of that is uploading files to the server box from another computer.

say you're at a friend's place or something and he shows you a funny jpg or has an mp3 you like... just connect over the internet to your XT server box and send the file. orrrrr, maybe a different computer that has a hard drive larger than 10 MB!

Last edited:
Oh.. for a minute, I thought it meant the old pictures were back..

But very nice, very clean.

/OT
I was looking myself to make a small html only webpage with an index of all my old tools and drivers I gathered, and run it on an XT with your webserv webserver.

thanks jorg. it's nice not being embarrassed when i tell somebody about my site

hulk.gif

Last edited:
yes, actually the current source code for that program does do directory indexing! obviously, i haven't uploaded it yet. there is still some stuff i want to add first, but if you'd like i can just compile it as is and send it to you. that'd be no problem at all.
that is a feature that i'd always been meaning to add, because it makes it a VERY nice and easy way to back up files that are on the 500 year old hard disk! the way i went about writing the file indexing code is a direct BIOS calls to get a full list of files/dirs on the partition.
Yes.. that last idea crossed my mind too. I'm was struggling getting a ZIP disk to work on all old machines (not working), now I'm working on getting novell lite to work.
There is no hurry though, because I don't yet have a bridge between my network of old machines and my new.
the version you have is horrible lol. i shouldn't have released it. it was even before i fixed some massive bugs in the TCP code. in addition to that, you've probably noticed that a lot of times the page doesn't get send completely or the browser will error out.
all of that is fixed, and now it handles multiple connections at once. :)
Let me know if you want it and i'll get on that ASAP. there may be bugs i don't know about yet, it's not been thoroughly tested really.
Well, I just played around a bit with the old one, just to make sure the basic setup with packet drivers and the like worked. As said, no hurry, but I'll keep it in mind, thanks!
hmmm i wonder how difficult PHP script support would be to code... hrmmm nevermind.:eek: ... another feature i definitely want to include is support for POST over http, and some sort of primitive support for forms. one nice use of that is uploading files to the server box from another computer.
say you're at a friend's place or something and he shows you a funny jpg or has an mp3 you like... just connect over the internet to your XT server box and send the file. orrrrr, maybe a different computer that has a hard drive larger than 10 MB!

I'm now wondering... are there any FTP servers that work on 8088 class machines?

Edit: All I found was a DOS FTP server in the WATTCP package- but it does only one connection at a time.

Last edited:
Yes.. that last idea crossed my mind too. I'm was struggling getting a ZIP disk to work on all old machines (not working), now I'm working on getting novell lite to work.
There is no hurry though, because I don't yet have a bridge between my network of old machines and my new.

Well, I just played around a bit with the old one, just to make sure the basic setup with packet drivers and the like worked. As said, no hurry, but I'll keep it in mind, thanks!

I'm now wondering... are there any FTP servers that work on 8088 class machines?

Edit: All I found was a DOS FTP server in the WATTCP package- but it does only one connection at a time.

lol. yeah there is a program called JNOS that acts as a web server, ftp server, mail server, and others simulatenously. i could still write one myself when i finish this IRC server just for "fun"

get JNOS here http://www.langelaar.net/projects/jnos2/

i'll skim through the code later on tonight, and see if i find any sort of bugs in it before compiling.

Last edited:
i have paid for tons of software. i'm sure you've paid for every single piece of commercial and registered shareware programs on your computers.

Nobody is entirely clean - given all of the licensing models and restrictions somebody is probably in violation even with a brand new machine. The point here is that it is not particularly cute to say you are going to buy a piece of software you just endorsed, and then 'nod nod wink wink' that you are actually going serial number hunting instead.

Keep us out of trouble here and don't publicize it here.

legal issues aside mike, do you like the new site layout?

It is much more professional looking, but I can't say that the last version was a problem.

I don't know how developed your QB toolkit is, but that might have the most appeal. I'd refresh it, get it well documented, and provide some simple sample programs online. Then start trying to get people to program with it. It will always be a niche market, but it will be interesting.

Nobody is entirely clean - given all of the licensing models and restrictions somebody is probably in violation even with a brand new machine. The point here is that it is not particularly cute to say you are going to buy a piece of software you just endorsed, and then 'nod nod wink wink' that you are actually going serial number hunting instead.

Keep us out of trouble here and don't publicize it here.

It is much more professional looking, but I can't say that the last version was a problem.

I don't know how developed your QB toolkit is, but that might have the most appeal. I'd refresh it, get it well documented, and provide some simple sample programs online. Then start trying to get people to program with it. It will always be a niche market, but it will be interesting.

actually a few months ago, i did a google search for quickbasic tcp just to see what it came up with. one of the first few links was a site that belonged to some 15 year old kid in the UK who was using my routines to write a DOS security alarm program in QB. it even says on the page "thank you to mike chambers for your wonderful tcp/ip code!"

i thought that was cool. :D

i sent him an e-mail, he said is using TCP as a basis for a built-in telnet server that would let him check everything remotely.

his website: http://www.josephn.net/jnalarm.htm

one thing i have been thinking of doing is make it into a Quicklibrary .QLB file. it's similar to windows DLL files that let you make calls to do certain tasks.

i am going to work on it a little more soon and make sure that i don't run into any bugs in the DNS resolution routines. if i can't find any problems, i am going to offer it both ways: skeleton code and quicklibrary

Last edited:
Back