• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What is a fare price for a PDP-8/e?

Mardy

I'm thinking about taking the PDP-8 plunge and have no idea what these are going for? How much should I expect to pay for a PDP-8/e that is in half way decent condition?

-Mardy

Last edited:
Have you looked at any completed auction prices? Sometimes give you a current (albeit often skewed) priceline to go by.

I can't specify much, I'd guess under $1000 but beyond that it depends what it has with it, and the majority of the price is the weight and how you get it to you.

Any chance of getting this thread back on track? I suspect not... :(

Ok, back to the topic (I hope).

I'm not a DEC guy, but as with all collectibles, the value depends largely on condition, as well as other factors. With the PDP-8, a lot depends also on what comes with it, such as docs, and especially, peripherals, as well as the condition/functionality of the peripherals. Finding good working tape/disk drives, etc. will cost a lot more, but if you have any ability to fix such things, taking a chance on "untested" (read non-functional) can be more economical.
As usual, your own judgment (and budget) is best for determining what you are willing to pay for any given machine.

--T

Yeah that can be a big catch. Most the ones I've seen are as-is and not shown working condition. Unfortunately I don't know enough about PDP's to know their variance in sale vs model. I'd still probably check ebay's completed auction listings (or google search pdp site:ebay.com, or pdp-8 site:craigslist.com) and maybe you'll find a few older postings to go by.

Documentation, software, and showing it in a running state can sometimes double the value of the auction.

- John

If you're serious, you might want to join the cctalk mailing list (classiccmp.org); lots of DEC types hang out there.

Yeah that can be a big catch. Most the ones I've seen are as-is and not shown working condition. Unfortunately I don't know enough about PDP's to know their variance in sale vs model. I'd still probably check ebay's completed auction listings (or google search pdp site:ebay.com, or pdp-8 site:craigslist.com) and maybe you'll find a few older postings to go by.

Documentation, software, and showing it in a running state can sometimes double the value of the auction.

- John

Price is also enhanced by not being under water at any point.

We're not on that one again are we!

seriously though, the 2 working "8e"s I have seen in recent years on ebay went for approximately £600 and £1000 (the second one with tape drive).

Tooooo much!:(

I'm thinking about taking the PDP-8 plunge and have no idea what these are going for? How much should I expect to pay for a PDP-8/e that is in half way decent condition?

-Mardy

There is one on ebay right now. Item # 260271101143 starting bid $199.99

Look in the store too, there is another listed for $999.99
Item number: 280252848586

So after spending $1283.00 I now own what looks to be a fairly complete PDP-8/e including 20K of core memory. It is in very good cosmetic condition. As for it's operational state, that is still unknown. A lot of inspection and cleaning still needs to be done before I begin powering it up.

I know that the question of what is a "fair" price is very subjective, but in this particular case, I feel that I got my moneys worth.

-Mardy

I'd say it is quite a fair price. I would have hoped for a DECtape as well, but I think thats too much hope for.

Now I just have to wait for one to pop up in Europe :)

Congrats to your good find. I hope you get it working. Keep us posted.

So after spending $1283.00 I now own what looks to be a fairly complete PDP-8/e including 20K of core memory. It is in very good cosmetic condition. As for it's operational state, that is still unknown. A lot of inspection and cleaning still needs to be done before I begin powering it up.

I know that the question of what is a "fair" price is very subjective, but in this particular case, I feel that I got my moneys worth.

-Mardy

Congrats. You purchased a machine that history was made on. I am very envious. That is such a famous machine.

Best Regards,
Denton

Back