• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Wanted: HP Apollo 700/RX faceplate

Honestly, I'm sure its just me and that you don't care but, gutting a vintage workstation to put some generic pc junk doesn't seem like anything that should be encouraged on a vintage computer forum. Just my opinion anyway.

Honestly, I'm sure its just me and that you don't care but, gutting a vintage workstation to put some generic pc junk doesn't seem like anything that should be encouraged on a vintage computer forum. Just my opinion anyway.

There are a lot of us that feel the same way and others that feel the opposite.

Its up to the owner to do as they see fit.

There are a lot of us that feel the same way and others that feel the opposite.

Its up to the owner to do as they see fit.

It's their machine they can do whatever they want to it in the end.

It would seem to go against the interests of this forum though. I'm new here so, I don't know how people feel here. Do you really want "Help me turn this MacSE into a fish tank" or "How do I fit a Nintendo 64 into this Apple IIgs case ?" type things on a place where people are trying to preserve older machines ? There will never be another HP 700 made.

Why turn one into a case for a pc ? I'm not even sure who thinks that's geeky. Geeky would be setting up the 700 and using it for something. Be funnier to stick a shuttle pc board into a toaster or something and make it work.

Anyway, I don't want to start anything over it. Good luck finding your face plate. Hopefully no more HP/UX boxes die making your pc.

I don't see how "generic pc junk" is any different from "generic HP junk"? It's not like I gutted a Silicon Graphics Onyx and I'm sure these workstations are still widely available. The guy that sold it to me had at least 3 more of the same and a large stack of similiar (albeit later model) HP workstations. It came without a hard drive, keyboard, mouse or monitor so what could I have possibly done with it? As such it was of no use to me althought I was tempted to tinker with it for a while. However, I needed a donor case for my project so there you have it.

Besides, I didn't destroy it. As I wrote in the project log, the process is reversable and I could rebuild the workstation whenever I see fit. Apart from the 4 small holes drilled into the bottom of the case, it's pretty much intact and I saved all the parts.

Anyway, I don't want to start anything over it. Good luck finding your face plate. Hopefully no more HP/UX boxes die making your pc.

You're getting out of line here and I don't think your sarcasm fits into a civil conversation. What I do with my stuff is indeed my decision and mine alone. Who are you to judge me? Do you know me or what I believe in? I just happen to own over two dozen systems in working order, most of which I probably saved from being dumped in the garbage in the first place. I'm not asking anyone to "kill" a working HP Apollo for a measly faceplate. I'm asking if anyone happens to have one lying around and doesn't need it. That's all.

Cheers
SainT

Last edited:
It wasn't sarcasm. I don't think your project is that cool. Seriously, put that motherboard in a toaster and you'll make digg or whatever. Put it it in a 700 and nobody will care.

By out of line I guess you mean disagree with you. You are free to build a bonfire out of them for all I care. I wouldn't stop you. You are free to do that and I am free to have my own opinion about it. That's how it works. Again, good luck with your project.

First of all, I didn't ask your permission and second I didn't do what I did to be cool. I'm old enough not to seek confirmation/accepance from others. I did it because I wanted to see how well I could do it. I feel no regret. On the contrary. I'm quite happy with the result and the project was finished about two years ago. A new faceplate would only be the final touch.

You are free to have your own opinion, that's a fact. How you express it is another matter.

Cheers

Good. Are we done with this now?

Saint, you have to realize that some people are pretty passionate about restoring anything back to its original, usable form.

Leak, you have to realize that there is no "endangered system list" out there and some stuff is so common that there are 10 laying around collecting dust for every one that gets turned into a minivan bumper.

Take MikeS, for example. He has IBM GL300s coming out the whazoo and he's trying to spread them around LOL

If we were talking about the last known working (fill in the blank) in existance being turned into a charcoal BBQ, I could see a case for flame/counterflame, but, most of us aren't that rabid.

Back