• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

"Freecycling"

I was going to ask the same thing.

At least I have a website to get rid of the stuff I get in and FleaBay for non-computer items like tube-testers and 30 year old single-line scrolling pixel boards.

What do you do with all this stuff?

I sort everything into vintage, modern or junk. Some stuff I recycle or pass on to others, but most of it I clean up and store in my full basement or I take to my 4,000 sf warehouse for the future. Sometimes I might sell an item. Other items I keep. My inventory is growing much larger than I had ever imagined. I could easily put together a website for everything but will probably sell some of it through existing venues when the time is right.

I am self employed and keep busy doing other things not related to computers, In the winter work slows down. Thats when I start pulling out systems and start playing/working with them.

I am gradually building a nice collection as I sort through everything I acquire.

I also occasionally buy a few items too. As example, I have a chance to pick up a fully working Tandy 1000 hx, monitor, daisy wheel printer with manuals and software for just $25.00. Is that a good deal or what?

Freecycling isn't for everyone. I can be dirty work and takes a lot of traveling and gas money but some times it can really be worth the effort.

It is very few freecycling stations in Norway, but they have just started to appear in Rogaland. The problem is that Rogaland is about a 7 hours driving trip from Hordaland (where I live). I wonder when they'll start to appear where I live.

Got another van load. A lot of working 286 and 386 computers, several Epson DFX-5000+ printers, more TI stuff, Atari, Coleco, etc. I still haven't looked into all the boxes yet as they were pre boxed and I haven't unloaded them yet. More vintage software and I even got a licensed copy of XP and 95. Boxes of hard drives too. At least two boxes of vintage computer manuals and new, old stock parts. I really should get pictures posted. My collection has grown huge in this last year and a half. Over the winter, I think I might sell some of the excess.

In a few days, I will have time to open every box and I'll post any really interesting items.

I did manage to get an Atari 830 phone modem which I thought was really interesting. I also have two rack mount 386's which are lacking covers but they are interesting items.

One other thing, a complete box of 3-1/2 floppies and they are the 720 kb type, mint, unopened!!!

You know we all think you are bullshitting us if you don't show the pictures. ;)

I took pictures of every load. Also spread some of it out on the patio and snapped a few. I'm almost out of space in my basement and my storage building is getting tight for space too.

We have a similar thing in the Recycle Bin on Amibay, where goods get offered for just the cost of postage.

OK, I got two boxed Mattel Electronics Intellivoice, voice synthesis modules and a 3 button summa mouse. More later...

OK, I found more stuff. Several early Atari joysticks, two black IBM 5.25 floppy drives in mint condition, two huge boxes of books, mostly IBM and ATX related, lots of ISA items, wave generators, test equipment and something I have never seen before, a white paper roll about 1-1/4" around maybe 1" wide and it's punched full of holes, like a player piano. Must be a program. A huge amount of software, including a set of original Kaypro disks. I have it strewn all over my basement while I sort. Many NOS parts too.

I gotta get pictures!!! ;)

Last edited:
Sounds like you found some ASCII tape. Should be a small feed hole with three bigger holes on one side and five more on the other side (if all are punched). It might be a program, but it might also just be a message or an ASCII graphic image stored on tape. . .

Speaking of Freecycle... Just scored a Mac Plus with HD, a mac se with dual floppies and 3 complete Apple IIgs units. All with software and a lot of manuals.

Found a binder full of TI info. Pamphlets, newsletters, price lists, TI bulletins, brochures, instructions, etc. Many with Bill Cosby on them in full color. Stuff I have never seen before. The kind of paper work you would have access to if you were a reseller. I'm going to scan them all for future use.

This one find is without a doubt the best collection of TI stuff acquired so far.

Aaaarrggh! You find all of the great TI stuff there, VintageComputerman. :) :) I am on a continuous hunt for this type of stuff. It drives my wife nuts. Please let me know if you are willing to part with them (or at least send me copies of the scans so I can compare them to the stuff I do have). I have an extensive, multilingual set of TI-99 family documentation/books.

I scan the really hard-to-find stuff in and put it up on WHTech (mostly the manuals and schematics for 99/8 and other prototype items).

I'm in the middle of reconstructing a truly rare item right now--the TI 128K SuperRAM board for the 4/A. They only made a few test examples of the board, one of which I have as a bare board. I'm working on getting the PALs for it programmed so I can build it (I received the necessary equations from another source).

I recently joined the local freecycle website after reading this thread. After about a month I haven't seen anything related to computing. In fact, I see a lot more "I want" than "I offer" (probably runs a ratio of about 20:1). :(

I placed a wanted ad on the Asheville Freecycle yesterday morning for vintage computers, games, etc and had it promptly removed and replaced with a general warning that it's not allowed to post wanted requests for "collectible items". :sneaky: Since they retrieve ridiculous prices on evilbay it's considered "taking advantage" of people to get rid of stuff they would normally think of as old junk. I can't wait until this whole "retro trend" thing goes away so things can go back to normal. Which is to say only people like as will care to have stuff like this. :)

I've picked up 2 or 3 lots of classics on freecycle in the 2 plus years I've been a member. There's a generic TI 99/4a in Stillwater NJ that I just don't have the buring desire to treck after. I've never been a fan.

Kelly

I picked up a few more computers over the last month. Nothing too great. A few old apple systems and an HP force with win 3.1. I got a few old okidata printers in excellent condition too from a frequent gifter who told me of a friend who lives close by who has a trailer and barn full of old systems I might have for free. He even said the pile of monitors, last time he was there was 40 feet in diameter and 20 feet tall.

Hopefully, I get a chance to look them over in the next week. Fingers are crossed.

I got 2 Acorn A5000s last weekend. Came with a few podules too. Also a box of manuals and disks for the systems. Podules included a SCSI adapter, Genlocks and a handheld greyscale scanner.

Shame one of the machines had died due to a leaky battery...

Back