• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Apple IIgs hot-key combinations

gsteemso

Experienced Member
I recently acquired a pair of Apple IIgses, one of which even works, but I have no software for it, not even an OS. I understand I can theoretically kludge my own if I can track down a IIgs programming reference and get into the built-in MLM they are said to have, but I don't know the hotkeys to press to get in there.

What are they? Are there any others? The only one I sorta know is control + open apple + escape (I think it was) to get into the preferences screen. Complicating matters is that I only have a Mac ADB keyboard, not a IIgs ADB keyboard, so the key labels are not all the same.

Hoping you can help,
G.

Ctrl-openapple-esc brings up the control panel. Ctrl-Reset will get you to the Applesoft prompt, which gives you access to plain old BASIC. Reset might be the power-on button on the ADB keyboard, depending on which one you have.

If you want to bootstrap a disk operating system, take a look here:
http://adtpro.sourceforge.net/bootstrap.html

I have one each 5-1/4" and 3-1/2" drives. Don't own any double-sided blank 5-1/4" disks though. I couldn't work out from the above site whether they support booting from a 3.5" disk. Pity, I have a lot of those left over from my university days — they maintained a decrepit workroom full of Mac Pluses with 800K floppy drives as late as 2000. (That doesn't place me among the dinosaurs quite yet; even my high school used newer stuff like LCIIIs. 'Course, they also used Apple IIe relics in auto shop class, so I should quit while I'm behind.)

Going back a step, does anyone know where I can get an Apple IIgs ADB keyboard? Logic suggests they must be fairly common; the consoles are frequently defunct, but Mac ADB keyboards seem to be nearly indestructible. Of course, since I have never actually seen one from a IIgs, I am less than certain on that count.

I couldn't work out from the above site whether they support booting from a 3.5" disk.
Yes, you can. Transfer the 800k 3.5" disk image of ADTPro and it'll be bootable.
Going back a step, does anyone know where I can get an Apple IIgs ADB keyboard?
Everyone's favorite garage sale, eBay, has loads of ADB keyboards and mice. There's usually some IIgs ones in the mix.

Apple II disk images

Apple II disk images

Just keep the 400k images to the 5.25" disks and 800k to the 3.5" disks.

On the Apple II series, even the GS, a 5.25 disk is ONLY 140k so any 400k images would still need to be saved onto a 3.5 disk. Though I don't believe there are any 400k disk images out there for the Apple II.

Dean

Back