• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hey

TheVetteMan

Hello,

My name is David and I am from Ohio, USA. I recently found a Tandy 1000 EX Personal Computer in storage at a family members place, and I really had no need for it, but it was serial number 000503, so since it didn't cost me anything I took it home.

Well, my friend compaqxp told me about this forum so I though I would drop by and say hello. I already posted a wanted thread, I need a system diskette for the Tandy.

Not really much to say, I'm not a really hobby collector of computers, but this one caught my eye, so who knows what the future will bring.

Best Regards,

David

I'm not a really hobby collector of computers, but this one caught my eye, so who knows what the future will bring.

First it's one computer, then two, then three and so on, It's like a decease except a good thing (provided you have the space).

And welcome to the forums

-Connor

Hello,

My name is David and I am from Ohio, USA. I recently found a Tandy 1000 EX Personal Computer in storage at a family members place, and I really had no need for it, but it was serial number 000503, so since it didn't cost me anything I took it home.

Well, my friend compaqxp told me about this forum so I though I would drop by and say hello. I already posted a wanted thread, I need a system diskette for the Tandy.

Not really much to say, I'm not a really hobby collector of computers, but this one caught my eye, so who knows what the future will bring.

Best Regards,

David

welcome to the board. if you have any 360 KB drives around, you can hook it up to any newer PC and make a regular ol' DOS boot disk with it. (don't take out the tandy drive and try that on the PC, it won't work and will probably explode in a dramatic fiery scene)

under XP and newer you'll need to use WinImage to do it. download an MS-DOS 6.22 (or my favorite, DR-DOS 7.03 http://www.drdos.net ) 1.44 MB image, load it in WinImage. remove enough files to keep it under 360 KB from the image, but keep don't delete:

(if it's DR-DOS)
COMMAND.COM
IBMBIO.COM
IBMDOS.COM

i believe everything else can go, but you might want to keep utilities like SYS.COM, FORMAT.COM, etc...

if it's MS-DOS, keep:
COMMAND.COM
IO.SYS
MSDOS.SYS

then under the WinImage "Image" menu, choose change format, select 360 KB and hit OK. then in the "Disk" menu, choose write disk with a blank 360 KB floppy in the drive.

make sure the BIOS is told that the drive is 360 KB. once you've done this properly, throw it in the Tandy and if the drive is good it'll boot right up to the lovely old A:\> prompt. :)

First it's one computer, then two, then three and so on, It's like a decease except a good thing (provided you have the space).
-Connor

Oh, it's like a disease alright, although I can't say it's good thing.
Best to quit while you have the chance, and before "the addiction" takes over.

Welcome to the forums - "you can enter, but you can never leave".

Back