• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

A major breakthrough in removing yellowing from old cases!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't want to sniff the solution during processing in case it was giving off chlorine gas! I'll have to check it now, and see if it's nice and silky too.

That's some good translating. Makes we wonder what's in that powdered coffee creamer stuff (Coffee Mate) that they use alot in the US. It's doesn't mention a cow anywhere on the list of ingredients.

BTW: this new PB solution will eat paint off parts. I had a couple of black painted interior parts attached to the Altos front, and had to repaint them after processing.

Last edited:
It just struck me, how does black plastic age? I don't have any really good examples myself, but I think they tend to lose their shine, become grey from sunlight or so. Does anyone have experience of such, and in that case would this process be able to make dark plastic more black or make it even lighter grey? Perhaps the yellowing is only observed on white and light grey cases, or at least those are the ones you regret the most for losing their original colour.

@Carlsson

I've got a piece that was white and black. The white yellowed but the black hadn't. Just as a test, I brushed a little of the PB solution on the inside of the black part (non visible area), left it for an hour, and here's the result:
Black part.jpg
The solution seems to take the shine off, and lighten the black plastic a bit (it's the blotch to the right of the middle).

While it worked well for the dark blue Osborne face and keyboard bezel, I can't recommend processing any black parts.

@ Lorne

Thanks, at least us chemist types are useful for some things then......:mrgreen:

The benzyl salicylate and the lemon terpene would definitely go for the glue holding any stickers on and may make paint blister; as it was used diluted I would have thought that the solvent effects would have been less, I guess not. The solvents also seem to be denaturing the plastic, that's definitely not a good thing; that could lead to embrittlement.

Strike one to the hair bleach....

EDIT:

Due to the length of the thread, we've decided to stop this one, summarise where we are at and start a new thread. Part 2 isn't that hard to find.....:D

Last edited:
@ CP/M User

Yeah, that helps a lot... not.

@ Moderators

Would it be possible to lock this thread, so that we don't have to manage this and the Part 2 thread?

Thanks

Merlin

I'm trying the peroxide/oxy thing with an old Mac LC III. I can't find anything locally that is higher than 12% peroxide. I found a 12% peroxide cream wash at the local beauty supply store. I dumped that in a bucket with my old keyboard and mouse. I sprayed in some liquid "Oxy Clean" that I found at the grocery store. I can't find powder anywhere, so hopefully the liquid spray works.

Anyway, I've had this stuff soaking for a day and I don't see much of a change. Maybe because I'm only using 12% and the Oxy stuff that I bought doesn't have TAED in it.

100_3733.jpg

This stuff is pretty creamy. I hope it works. This is sort of a test run for a Mac Plus that I bought off eBay. I have not received it yet, but I suspect that it is going to have some yellowing on it that didn't show in the pics. I'm trying to nail the process down ahead if time. I think I'll have to pick up a UV bulb today the speed up the process.

@ krye

The UV bulb is essential for the process; without UV or sunlight, all you are doing is getting the parts wet.

M

Super NES aka "Super Nintendo"

Yellow:

picture2xxx001.jpg

In the whitening process:

picture2xxx002.jpg

Guess what, only 3% hydrogen peroxide. I'm going to sell this one on ebay when its done and it doesn't help the investment to spend $15 to $20 getting a higher solution off the internet.

It's taken like 10 days due to bad weather and low solution but luckily I live in Arizona and with the sun now strong the process is going into turbo mode.

Thanks and credit to Merlin, and others for inspiration!

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back