• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Vintage IBM 5150

frozenfire75i

Banned
I would like to let everyone know about the Re-Grand Opening of Vintage IBM 5150...

The site is about 95% done, softwere page is still blank as of today but most everthing is there...

Let me know any and all feedback! A big thanks to Erik for hosting it!

http://vintageibm.vintage-computer.com/ be sure to see the about me page to know more about me......

Last edited:
I have used my moderator super powers to correct the title from 'Vitnage' to 'Vintage' ... ;-0

I agree with others that say this is a great resource. I have the GTO for my 5150 but don't have the Tech Ref or HMS manual.

Any chance you could setup the docs, ads and magazine articles as on-line viewable pdf's? It might be nice if the pdf's for the manuals were searchable as well.

Good job regardless!

Thanks, for all the kind words... Thanks for fixing that... I saw that after i hit ok!

I have used my moderator super powers to correct the title from 'Vitnage' to 'Vintage' ... ;-0

Good Ideal I will see about making the manual's serchable. With the ads and magazines I will have to play around and see what works best!

I agree with others that say this is a great resource. I have the GTO for my 5150 but don't have the Tech Ref or HMS manual.

Any chance you could setup the docs, ads and magazine articles as on-line viewable pdf's? It might be nice if the pdf's for the manuals were searchable as well.

Good job regardless!

Had a Shiner Bock at Rudy's in Austin, TX two weeks ago.

That makes me a braggart now too. ;-)

that is a very nice website.. would be even cooler hosted on a 5150. :eek:

very possible. it doesn't really look graphics intensive. it would be easily fast enough and the coolness factor would be through the roof! props on a wonderful site.

Thanks Mike I would love to be able to host that on a 5150!!!! How would I go about doing it?

that is a very nice website.. would be even cooler hosted on a 5150. :eek:

very possible. it doesn't really look graphics intensive. it would be easily fast enough and the coolness factor would be through the roof! props on a wonderful site.

Last edited:
Thanks Mike I would love to be able to host that on a 5150!!!! How would I go about doing it?

One way would be with a 8-bit compatible Ethernet card and a pachet driver/stack...

The other way would be by using a dial-up modem, however, I don't really know anything special about how modems work.

well like per said, you'll need an 8-bit compatible ethernet card for starters. easy to find and inexpensive if you don't already have one. another alternative is a xircom parallel port ethernet adapter. those can be found for $10-$20 on ebay.

the better 8-bit compatible ISA cards imo include:
- NE1000/NE2000 or compatible
- intel etherexpress 8/16
- 3com 3c503

you'll have to load a packet driver for the particular card you use. from there, it's just a matter of what DOS HTTP server you wish to run. EZNOS2 is tried and true, but pretty outdated.

an alternative is: i have written a (i think anyway) pretty neat little HTTP/FTP server for DOS myself called QUIKSERV. it has a lot more features than EZNOS, including stuff like virtual domain hosting. (not that you would need that feature)

the FTP portion of it has a few bugs here and there but the HTTP works flawlessly for everybody i've talked to that has tried it. if you want more info on how to set either of these programs up, let me know. :)

I have an AT 8 mhz I belive that i just got off ebay, still need to test fully!

I think that system would make a nice server... not an 5150 but very close. Only problem I see is my site is a few 100mb. much bigger then any stock AT drive. So would I need to upgrade my drive to host all my larger PDF files ect? Or would I just host the core site on the AT and then place the bigger files on a eriks server I have already?

well like per said, you'll need an 8-bit compatible ethernet card for starters. easy to find and inexpensive if you don't already have one. another alternative is a xircom parallel port ethernet adapter. those can be found for $10-$20 on ebay.

the better 8-bit compatible ISA cards imo include:
- NE1000/NE2000 or compatible
- intel etherexpress 8/16
- 3com 3c503

you'll have to load a packet driver for the particular card you use. from there, it's just a matter of what DOS HTTP server you wish to run. EZNOS2 is tried and true, but pretty outdated.

an alternative is: i have written a (i think anyway) pretty neat little HTTP/FTP server for DOS myself called QUIKSERV. it has a lot more features than EZNOS, including stuff like virtual domain hosting. (not that you would need that feature)

the FTP portion of it has a few bugs here and there but the HTTP works flawlessly for everybody i've talked to that has tried it. if you want more info on how to set either of these programs up, let me know. :)

I have an AT 8 mhz I belive that i just got off ebay, still need to test fully!

I think that system would make a nice server... not an 5150 but very close. Only problem I see is my site is a few 100mb. much bigger then any stock AT drive. So would I need to upgrade my drive to host all my larger PDF files ect? Or would I just host the core site on the AT and then place the bigger files on a eriks server I have already?

With an AT, I thought you could insert one of the standard IDE/Floppy controllers... Maybe you need a TRS driver for it, if the BIOS doesn't have support.

With an AT, I thought you could insert one of the standard IDE/Floppy controllers... Maybe you need a TRS driver for it, if the BIOS doesn't have support.

AT... is it a 286 then? because an 8088 would be painfully slow when you're trying to download a larger file. think in the under 10 KB/s range. my 286 running QUIKSERV sent at a very decent 50 KB/s from a hard drive. an 8088 would run the site pages and your images on it just fine. there would probably be a 5 or 6 second page load time from what i've seen of your site. but yeah, keep away from PDF on them!

like per said, if the system has a 16-bit ISA bus you can insert any ol' ISA IDE drive controller and use any ol' drive up to 8 GB i believe. (or larger, but you'd be limited to the first 8 GB)

The IBM 5150 would be awsome to have as a webserver but it would not be really use-able or service-able... only can run vintage HDD's, I would hate to leave ST-412's ST-225's runing 24/7.

However with the AT (286) 8mhz, It is very do-able..... 16-bit bus for IDE HDD's lots more choice of network cards faster everthing.... When I get this AT setup and tested I will postback and get some help from ya'll making my server!

AT... is it a 286 then? because an 8088 would be painfully slow when you're trying to download a larger file. think in the under 10 KB/s range. my 286 running QUIKSERV sent at a very decent 50 KB/s from a hard drive. an 8088 would run the site pages and your images on it just fine. there would probably be a 5 or 6 second page load time from what i've seen of your site. but yeah, keep away from PDF on them!

like per said, if the system has a 16-bit ISA bus you can insert any ol' ISA IDE drive controller and use any ol' drive up to 8 GB i believe. (or larger, but you'd be limited to the first 8 GB)

Back