• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Accessing a Windows XP Network under DOS

paul

Veteran Member
After years of fussing around with external SCSI hard disks to back-up and move data to and from my nearly-stock 5170, I've finally managed to get the AT to recognize my home network and been able to mount (read/write) a shared folder on my daily-use WinXP machine. This will tremendously simplify organizing and archiving the AT's 30 MB hard disk.

Not being an expert on the subject, nor a programmer, the last few days I've been searching for ways to get these machines to talk over a TCP/IP network. Little did I know MS already provide the tools to do this without resorting to any flavor of Windows on the AT, nor compromising my modern PC by adding ancient network protocols.

At the risk of repeating a process already well-established or already covered on this board, I'll describe how to do this:

1. Get the two executable files here: ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/clients/MSCLIENT/

2. These each expand into a collection of files just over 1.2 MB each when executed. You need to make these available to your DOS PC in the form of either (2) 1.44 MB floppy disks or (2) directories on a local hard disk.

3. Have a supported network adapter ready and waiting on the DOS box, without any packet driver. I used a 3C509.

4. Run setup.exe on disk 1. It finds the network card and installs all the required TSR's. All you need to change during the install is (a) remove the IPX protocol, and (b) add the TCP/IP protocol. It will ask for a local machine name, a user name, and a password. The latter two are used to access the XP shares so need to be a valid account on your XP machine.

When done, it aquires an IP address with DHCP (yah!) and by typing "net" at the command line will allow you to mount a share in the form \\<computer_name>\<share_name> such as \\T3400\COMPUTERS

It installed on my AT under DOS 3.30 but it uses about 160 kB memory so going to DOS 5.0 might be in order to get those into high memory.

It's a blast being able to browse the disk on my XP machine from Xtree. Of course all the long file names are truncated but I can view text files, execute DOS programs, and move stuff back and forth. My next effort will be to get this working on my 2-floppy drive 5150 PC's.

-Paul

Last edited:
It would be interesting if sombody could make a program that does this just off the packet driver TRS. I don't like to use PnP cards in my 486 after that Opti 931 PnP interface problem I used years to solve (by replacing the card with a real SB16). Anyways, the ethernet-card I uses doesn't seem to be in the list of supported cards. I got a pachet driver for it, and I can run Mike's QuickServ on it without trouble. However, QuickServ does only do one-way transfers as of I see.

My next effort will be to get this working on my 2-floppy drive 5150 PC's.

I don't think the Microsoft stack supports TCP networking on an 8086 (at least, it refused to work when I tried it on an XT clone), so you'll have to install NetBEUI on your Windows server and set the 5150 up to use that.

yep, i've been using this for years. in fact, i use it for mass storage for my 8088 web server. it's serving the files from a windows share. it is FAST!

and yes JohnElliot is right, you have to use NetBEUI on anything older than a 286.

It would be interesting if sombody could make a program that does this just off the packet driver TRS. I don't like to use PnP cards in my 486 after that Opti 931 PnP interface problem I used years to solve (by replacing the card with a real SB16). Anyways, the ethernet-card I uses doesn't seem to be in the list of supported cards. I got a pachet driver for it, and I can run Mike's QuickServ on it without trouble. However, QuickServ does only do one-way transfers as of I see.

you can use the FTP server in it to transfer files either way. just make sure you set up the FTPUSERS.INI to allow full access... a line similar to this:

username,password,rwdn,c:\

explanation the third part:
r = read files allowed
w = write files/create directories allowed
d = delete files/directories allowed
n = renaming files/directories allowed

It is a wonderful thing to be able to back up those hard drives so quickly and easily.
Not long ago I got all my older computers with hard drives networked so I could do just that. I'm running a RAID 5 array with 1.5 terabytes if disk space for a back up. This makes the chance of data loss very very low. If I also keep an off site backup 500 miles away just to insure some act of god does not take out this computer. I also keep an image file for every floppy and older cd's. For once I do not worry about a hard drive failing at just the wrong time or a floppy that has been sitting around for 10 year will read.

Joe

Once it acquires an IP address from my router, can I launch a DOS-based web browser like Arachne, or access Telnet sites over the internet? My ultimate goal in setting up network finctions on my DOS machine is to be able to access Telnet BBSes.

Thanks,

Chris

I could never figure out how to get networking to wotk on ANY pf my DOS machines. I just gave up and stuck with the good old 100Mb parallel zip drive.
Regarding network cards, how picky is it? I got various unmarked network cards however for all of them I have 10Mbit fiber transceiver plugged into the AUI port.

Once it acquires an IP address from my router, can I launch a DOS-based web browser like Arachne, or access Telnet sites over the internet?

I don't actually know the answer to that. Perhaps some of our more knowledgeable folks can respond. There is only a "ping" command provided and it can reach an IP outside my LAN but it can't resolve a hostname. There is also a "sockets.exe", which sounds promising.

Next said:
Regarding network cards, how picky is it?
I don't know if "picky" is the right word, but I think many are "supported." It's easy enough to try it as in my case it was able recognize the card installed without me having to pick it out of a list. Certainly any NE1000/2000 compatible cards are covered.

Back