• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Altair MITS S-100 System

It's a com-putin' mo-chine, d00d. You toggle in some binary numbers with the switches, and it solves all your problems for you, while simultaneously amusing you with pretty blinkenlights. Dat's real computing!

--T

He's including that famous PopTronics issue. That's worth a few bucks in itself. I used to subscribe to that and had that issue but someone stole it. /sulk

I had the same question. I've only seen one before that had a non-blue front cover which was evidentally an optional purchase.. but this one doesn't look like it. I'm guessing it's legit but I really can't tell and haven't seen one that looks quite like this.

lol so the bad news? I've never won an Altair and I've bid up to $2000 in the past. Since this one looks different it may just go for around $1200, but it'll be interesting. If you're bored watch the last hour of the auction and see it unfortunately skyrocket.

It's definitely an Altair 8800 or 8800a. The front panel could be for either. If the On/Off switch is not inverted (in other words, if "On" is up), then it's an 8800a front panel. If "Off" is up, then it could be for either model. The aluminum trim strip, with embossed "MITS Altair 8800" or "MITS Altair 8800a", has not been installed on the lower front panel, so no differentiation is possible by those means.

The minimalist photos don't show the motherboard, but I suspect that it's a single large 16-slot board as used in the model A, rather than several 4-slot boards jumpered together as used in the original. That would mean that it's an 8800a system, or an upgraded 8800.

The case has been repainted. If you look at the closeup photo of the the serial number, you can see where the white paint has been worn away and the original blue is showing through.

It's not an "upgraded" CPU board- that's what was supplied with the kit.

Back