• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

looking for c-64 power supply

rebeltaz

Experienced Member
I'm looking for a power supply for a C64. Mine worked for a split second before dying. Being the technician I am, I took it apart to see if I could fix it. The freaking thing is completely encased in epoxy! I couldn't believe it. Anyway, Thanks....

I generally have extra power supplies laying around too... Comes from having a source for dead C64s to part out for chips. ;) (Source is someone that bought out the assets of a Commodore repair center that died years ago)

You should add your location to your profile.

I'm sorry for the delay... I had a MAJOR virus infection and was afraid to let my computer go online. Anyway, I live in Shelby Alabama 35143. I will add that to my profile right now.

Derek, were you able to get a working C64 power supply? If not, I have plenty of spares, and I'd be willing to send you one for the cost of shipping.

This offer is open to anyone here, BTW. :)

I did manage to obtain a power supply (thanks William), but I will keep that offer in mind if I happen to fry mine - with my luck, that's always a good possibility ;)

The PSU for my 1541-II failed when it was still relatively new - the 5v regulator went short circuit shoving 12v up the data line. Sure enough this was potted as well, why I don't know. I chiselled away the epoxy round the regulator, cut the tracks and fitted a new one complete with heatsink and this worked a treat, just looks a bit ungainly. This method might also rescue C64 power supplies.

BG

power supply

power supply

I'm looking for a power supply for a C64. Mine worked for a split second before dying. Being the technician I am, I took it apart to see if I could fix it. The freaking thing is completely encased in epoxy! I couldn't believe it. Anyway, Thanks....

I have 3(three) commodors 64 all come on all have the power supply and cables I would like $20.00 each and you pay shiping thanks que_tip

I've got a number of spares banked up at this point as well for the vic/64, so I will offer the same deal to anyone who is in dire need - cost of shipping and its on the way :)

The PSU for my 1541-II failed when it was still relatively new
Unfortunately the 1541-II power supplies are notoriously bad. I don't have a figure but would expect at least 1/4 or more of all existing drives today lack their original power supply. I find them quite tight and hard to break open. Fortunately if you don't bother with looks, pretty much any type of power supply which delivers 5V and 12V DC can be used with those drives.

Since the C64 rather gets 5V DC plus 9V AC, it is a bit harder to find an alternative solution although some people claim it will run just as well on DC, only the power source on the userport won't work.

The PSU for my 1541-II failed when it was still relatively new - the 5v regulator went short circuit shoving 12v up the data line. Sure enough this was potted as well, why I don't know. I chiselled away the epoxy round the regulator, cut the tracks and fitted a new one complete with heatsink and this worked a treat, just looks a bit ungainly. This method might also rescue C64 power supplies.

BG

I don't know about the 1541 supplies, but I think chiseling the epoxy on the C64 supply is pretty much out of the question. The entire brick is filled with epoxy and I wouldn't know where the epoxy ended and the board began! :confused:

This must be the newer C64 power supplies then - my old one has vent slots in it so I assume it's not potted. I've never opened one of these. I was lucky in that the regulator in the 1541-II is near the surface and the tracks are visible.

BG

Back