• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Howdy from Denton, TX

AmigaJules

Experienced Member
Hi folks,

I've been reading a bunch of posts on here and it feels like coming home!

In college, I worked at a computer store in Rockville, MD. Initially we sold Atari, Commodore & Apple 8bit computers & software (mostly games), then the IBM PC came out and the boss figured that was where the real money was. For the next 4 years or so we sold (and I learned A LOT) about IBM PCs, XTs, ATs, AT&T 6300's, Compaqs. Then later some of the first 386's like AST Bravos. I vaguely remember being sent to a customer's office once to re-install Unix on an AT&T 6300 - had no idea what I was doing but several hours and tons of floppies later the job was done.

I was bitten by the collecting bug about 3 years ago. I'd had an Atari 800 in high school in the 80's and had given it away to a friend of the family's a while ago. I was browsing e-bay and came across one in good condition with a 1050 disk drive and just HAD to have it.

My next few systems were old macs from a school in upstate New York that had been sitting in storage for years.

My wife and I moved to Denton from New York a little over a year ago and (to her dismay) I started acquiring Amigas. I picked up a "broken" A2000 & A1200 and fixed both. And I paid WAY too much for an A3000 with a video toaster & mac emulator card inside.

One of the more interesting systems in my collection is an SAIC Galaxy 1100 (http://www.openpa.net/systems/saic_galaxy_1100.html) that I picked up for $40 + another $10 for a 4gb SCSI disk. It's currently running Debian for PA RISC that I installed by netbooting from another linux server. I'd like to get HP UX on it, but sounds like I'd need more RAM for it to run somewhat acceptably.

At the moment, my collection consists of:

Atari 800 & 1050 disk drive
Amiga 2000, 3000 & 1200
Mac Performa 200
Mac LCII & B&W display
Mac Performa 6400/180
Motorola Starmax 4000/200
Bondi Blue Imac 233mhz G3
SAIC Galaxy 1100
Ipaq 3635 pocket pc
Handspring Visor Edge

I know most of those aren't "vintage" yet, but you have to start somewhere.

One of the things I regret the most is parting with an IBM XT w/ hercules card & IBM display before we moved from NY. I'm sure I'll find another down the road. I'd also love to get my hands on some Next hardware. I remember working with a Novell Netware guru in the early '90s that absolutely LOVED his cube & nextstep. He talked up that system every chance he got.

I just discovered the First & Third Saturday Sales in Dallas in a post from another member. Looking forward to checking them out soon.

I guess that's enough rambling. Glad I found you guys!

Attachments

• galaxy1.jpg
    galaxy1.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 1
  • galaxy2.jpg
    galaxy2.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 1
Hey!

Welcome to the forum. I'm down the road from you in Lewisville and am a regular at the First Saturday sale.

Did you get to the sale yesterday?

There's a high priced used computer parts store down towards the south end of Arlington that I can show you some day. They have lots of oddball stuff and can be a good place to find a gem or two. Last time I was there I picked up a Sun frame buffer video card to strip the surface mount RAM from to fix an NBA Jam arcade game board. ;)

Also, there's Clark's Outpost BBQ up the road from you in Tioga, TX, that you'll want to try. The smoked trout there is amazing as are the Rib Ends for an appetizer.

What kind of work do you do? I work for a networking equipment manufacturer during the day and my nights/weekends are spent working on arcade games and selling chips through my website. One day I'll have it grown enough to do full time. ;)

Raymond

Did you get to the sale yesterday?

I didn't, I read the post about it too late.

Can you give me an idea of the kinds of stuff you've found there? I've been to the Goodwill computer store in Fort Worth, but found they don't really have anything except newer PIIIs & up, and way overpriced at that. They are a good place to find cables & adapters though.

Also went to a hamfest in Ft. Worth, but it was all radio stuff. Except for one guy selling 3.5" hard drives.

What kind of work do you do?

At the moment, none :(

My wife took a position as a professor at the university. I've spent the last year working on the house and getting my RHCE for RedHat Enterprise Linux 5.2. I was a 7.1 RHCE, but didn't keep up the cert since I wasn't using RH day to day. My last 2 positions I've been the solo IT guy for small businesses that used Linux & Windows servers on the back end and Windows on the desktops.

Going to start job hunting, but would like to stay somewhat local to Denton, since I'm not big on a 1 1/2 hour (or more with the typical traffic) commute to Dallas or Ft. Worth.

Thanks for the tip on the BBQ place in Tioga. There's an indian restaurant we love in Lewisville called Kokila. Still learning the area.

Hey, I used to live in Lewisvile! As a matter of fact, I am moving back to Lewisville in a little over a month. I've not had luck at the local Goodwill for ANY computers, but Thrift World on main street has a gem or two now and then. I've never been to First and Third, but now that I have a car I will definately visit it once I get back. I've also had luck at George's Pawn Shop in Longview, which is an hour or so from Canton, which has a fantastic flea market.

It astounds me to learn there are so many collectors in TX, and in Denton alone. I'm sure there are more, too. We could probably start a computer collectors club down there to attract more vintage computer collectors.

--Jack

Goodwill doesn't put computers in their stores for some reason. I guess they don't want to support them.

Same thing for CCA in Lewisville.

However, I do know of a Goodwill store where they sell the donated computers by the pallet. I've been wanting to go there to see what all I could get for the price.

CCA is similar, but they have a guy that usually picks it all up. I'd like to find that guy. All I want is the PC-AT (286) and earlier PC and non-PC stuff.

Are either of you looking for a TI-99/4? (not 4a) I have one that is pretty beat up that I'd be willing to trade for chips.

RJ

Actually, I've seen a PII and a PowerMac clone for sale at CCA, right on top of the glass cabinets. Wanted $4 for either, I passed. The guy said they had ALOT of computers in their back storage. I do know that they don't accept TV's, though, due to the tubes.

I find the best place to find anything at Goodwill is the dumpster. I picked up a 2006 Gateway media center out of their trash bin, and some other odds and ends. Be sure to check out back after hours for the goodies, just before trash day.

--Jack

In college, I worked at a computer store in Rockville, MD. Initially we sold Atari, Commodore & Apple 8bit computers & software (mostly games), then the IBM PC came out and the boss figured that was where the real money was.

What store was that? I grew up in the DC area, and I figure I patronized just about every computer store from Old Georgetown Road north to Frederick at one time or another. One where I bought most of my magazines and DOS software was up on the second level of a shopping strip just south of where Viers Mill hit the Pike. I went there a lot 'cause it was next door to a McIntosh (as opposed to Macintosh :) ) dealer.

What store was that?

Software Stores International, home of the $40 printer cable... :rolleyes: on the pike, across from Wintergreen Plaza, next to Jerry's Sub Shop. I _think_ they're still there, but I haven't lived in the area for over 10 years now. Also had a location in Bethesda and one in Tyson's Corner, VA.

I went there a lot 'cause it was next door to a McIntosh (as opposed to Macintosh ) dealer.

Was that Myer Emco by any chance? I bought a Yamaha amp & Boston Acoustics speakers from them that I still use.

Who is the CCA? In Austin Goodwill seems to divert all computer parts to Goodwill Computer Works store now, although they really haven't seemed to sell any vintage stuff for years which sucks. I guess some can be found on their goodwill auction site now.

Oh, I didn't know of any CCA(Christian Community Action) in Lewisville other than the one on the east side of the tracks. Where is the other?

--Jack

Software Stores International, home of the $40 printer cable... :rolleyes: on the pike, across from Wintergreen Plaza, next to Jerry's Sub Shop. I _think_ they're still there, but I haven't lived in the area for over 10 years now. Also had a location in Bethesda and one in Tyson's Corner, VA.
Uh huh, I remember that place, and its exhorbitantly overpriced cables :). Don't recall if it's still there or not.

Was that Myer Emco by any chance? I bought a Yamaha amp & Boston Acoustics speakers from them that I still use.
No, I was thinking of Absolutely Sound, which was in Wintergreen Plaza. Funny you should mention Myer Emco; my brother was the service manager at the Rockville Emco for a while in the 70s.

Welcome! I have two Amiga A4000 toaster units. One works; the other is pending repair. I started serious computing with a new A1000 in 1986. They're still my preference in computing. I have numerous "vintage" computers.

Back