• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Information about Hercules video cards.

aitopes

Hi folks!:)

This is my first message in this forum.

I'm looking for information about Hercules video cards.

In fact, I want use one of these cards in my projects with microcontrollers. I need information on how to communicate with the ISA bus.

Data such as:
What are the control lines?:confused:
what are the lines of data?:confused:
As is the memory map?:confused:

and things like that.

Know of any place where I can find this information?

Thank you! :D

Wow! The information you're seeking could fill a book. Oh, yeah...I just happen to have one right here handy. Would you like a (XEROX) copy of IBM Technical Reference manual for shipping cost? Pm me...

--T

Hello Terry!

I am from Argentina.

It is possible that the shipment leaves more expensive than buying the book in a store.

Let me see if I find around here (or PDF), and then see if it is necessary that you take the trouble to send them:)

Thank you!

The Wiki and a 6845 datasheet would be a start; details of the ISA bus are also out there on the Web. There was a fair bit of info supplied with the card in the old days; maybe someone has one of those manuals; I'll look around here, but not likely.

Hello Terry!

I am from Argentina.

It is possible that the shipment leaves more expensive than buying the book in a store.

Let me see if I find around here (or PDF), and then see if it is necessary that you take the trouble to send them:)

Thank you!

Here is the TechRef, but you'll only find info on the CGA and MDA there. The Hercules card does full emulation of the feautres of the MDA (Mode 7), and it includes some additional graphic capabilities I don't know about (mode 8 or something like that).

ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/misc/IBM5160TechRef.pdf

Which Herc card do you have? (i.e. Standard, Graphics Plus, InColor, etc.). I think I've got something here on programming the graphics mode that I can at least scan and send along.

This one:
sis86c22.jpg

If that's the case, there's no telling what manner of beast this is, but it ain't Hercules, and prob'ly not even Herc-compatible. More likely a monochrome VGA-compat.

--T

Search for "SiS 86C22" on the following page for at least one reference: http://82.114.193.227/vga/rservice.php?akce=tisk&cisloclanku=2007070001

Seems like some companies did make Hercules clones. Try to run a game or an very early version of Windows in "hercules" mode with it (you might have to rune a setup or do an installation).

Back