• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Facebook - promoting yourself to the World! :-D

Actually that's a pretty good site compared to most I've seen, but I'm surprised that you don't like "Half-Time Marching Bands"! Doesn't 2/4 help you keep your feet organized... or is that not what you mean by half time?

Nah, I had the high school/college variety in mind...I'd prolly like 'em if they played in double-time or sum'n. So am I to take it that means you can see it? So much for private!

--T

Terry Yager wrote:

Yes, I have an account on MySpace, but it s'pozed to be private, only accessible to those I give access to. There's a web url, wanna try it?

My you do have a way with words don't you Terry? I can see how myspace can spell trouble with the young! :-o Not that nothing has changed much in the last 25 years - kids were still talking about the far canal back then!

I'll try it when the eavesdroppers are gone! :-D

I am not yet a member of this facebook and I am planning of joining. I like to joined because most of my relatives and friends have joined it.

alex404 wrote:

I am not yet a member of this facebook and I am planning of joining. I like to joined because most of my relatives and friends have joined it.

I'm always interested to hear about anyones experience when signing up for something like Facebook, so if you like, feel free to express yourself here if you want. :-D

That's how I ended up on MySpace. All my kids, nephews & nieces, cousins etc made me join so they could contact me, send pix, of the babies, etc, cause they're all a buncha newless kl00bs who don't know how to use the I-Net the right way.

--T

Terry Yager wrote:

That's how I ended up on MySpace. All my kids, nephews & nieces, cousins etc made me join so they could contact me, send pix, of the babies, etc, cause they're all a buncha newless kl00bs who don't know how to use the I-Net the right way.

Dear oh Dear - it sounds as if they cannot signup for an email with Unlimited Space (such as Yahoo) and yet they have MySpace! :-??

It's not like Brain Surgery to upload a image either - sure I've seen some dodgy uploaders though which will throw people, though to send an image there's some very easy stuff out there which makes it look like childs play - they'll even resize the image to nice managable size which doesn't take long to display on anything! :-D

I think it's the mass-mailing thing they can't get their brain around. When sending out pix, it's much easier to just put 'em on their page, then make everyone else link to their page(s), rather than actually send 'em out. Once linked, I can view whatever they post. Trouble is, I can't figger out how to d/l from their pages to save on my computer. I guess I'm just MySpace challenged.

--T

Terry Yager wrote:

I think it's the mass-mailing thing they can't get their brain around. When sending out pix, it's much easier to just put 'em on their page, then make everyone else link to their page(s), rather than actually send 'em out. Once linked, I can view whatever they post. Trouble is, I can't figger out how to d/l from their pages to save on my computer. I guess I'm just MySpace challenged.

Okay yeah - I know that story only so well after a friend decided to use a similar service because they had 90-odd pictures to show. The problem was you had to signup with that service in order to see them - the catch cry was signing up is FREE, though once you've signed up with them they send YOU so much crap through your email it's very annoying! :-x
Unfortunately I can't remember the name of that service - though there's a few around I believe. I should have created a Dummy email first and send the activation thing to that!

Speaking of emails - I tried to signup for something only to find it wouldn't accept Yahoo emails - or any other web based email service! I said "adios amigos" - if anyone wants to start playing games into which emails they are going to accept - I won't play their game. I suggest that if it happens to anyone here, to do the same cause it's just stupid.

CP/M User: Speaking of emails - I tried to signup for something only to find it wouldn't accept Yahoo emails - or any other web based email service! I said "adios amigos"
It probably isn't because they're web based, but because some of these sites are also the originators of a HUGE amount of spam. There's also a lot of yahoos :p using these sites - you know, the ones that send you "jokes", christmas "cards" and chain letters. I've seen Yahoo, AOL, and Gmail blocked for both reasons and I think it's a legitimate action. Of course much of the "CC" crowd is just well wishing aquaintances, but stopping spam on forums and blogs can be difficult to accomplish without blocking these sites. I often use web based mail from my own domain name and I doubt that would be blocked.

I know its a bit discriminatory, but an e-mail address at AOL, for example, is tantamount to "no fixed address". Anybody can get an account there without having their own ISP so there's no way of telling if they are trying to hide, like the service, or are just poor. Most people who are serious about the internet will use other kinds of accounts, if even just to avoid the association and distasteful TOS, but obviously not all. I agree that it's a problem, but I don't think the solution is simple.

Ole Juul wrote:

It probably isn't because they're web based, but because some of these sites are also the originators of a HUGE amount of spam.

Well - this one I was signing up with clearly had a problem with Web-Based email because it said that and was only going to accept ISP based email accounts, to which with mine I only used via a Web browser - so in a way it's Web Based too.

I cannot remember the particulars unfortunately, though I was only giving them an address based on them sending stuff to it - not the other way around!

There's also a lot of yahoos :p using these sites - you know, the ones that send you "jokes", christmas "cards" and chain letters. I've seen Yahoo, AOL, and Gmail blocked for both reasons and I think it's a legitimate action. Of course much of the "CC" crowd is just well wishing aquaintances, but stopping spam on forums and blogs can be difficult to accomplish without blocking these sites. I often use web based mail from my own domain name and I doubt that would be blocked.

True these email services are simply being abused from Spammers using things like Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc - though in full realty it's these services which provide lots of space for emails if not unlimited space as opposed to ISP emails which in my experience give me space which is next to nothing (well for my email account that is) & some ISP plans don't even give you an email account!! So I simply won't subscribe to a service which won't accept registration from a legitimate person - and the problem may only escalate when lots of legitimate people will try to subscribe to something only to be knockbacked - it's sites like those which deserve to miss out!

Had to be me that would come up with such a thread!

I hope everyone has been good and not sign up for Facebook - I've held up my end of the bargin! :D

Funny thing about Facebook - it clearly states "It's Free", though Fails on the "It could Cost you your Life" aspect part of it, I mean, surely, couldn't they be sued by suggesting "It's Free"?? Everyone uses it now and even the Media will look you up on your Facebook page to see what you've been upto. Glad I'm not on it - that's all I can say. Just hope I don't end up Dead for not being on it! :shock:

How are things Back of Burke!

You're right about Facebook, free it isn't. They are just playing with words. You get something from them, and they get something from you. That is not "free" in any dictionary other than theirs.

I haven't joined either, though I was thinking about it. I though that perhaps I could just put a link there. I put on the net what I want to and anybody that wants to find me can use Google. Facebook is superfluous but many people don't know that. Could I put a Google search box on my Facebook page? That would be a statement. lol

Ole Juul wrote:

How are things Back of Burke!

You'd reckon it would be pretty quiet huh? Nope someone has taken the saying quite literally and turned it into drinkin' boozin' town with it's infamous pub and people round here party all night! :satisfie: There's a lot of "X"s signs floating around and everyone gets hung over on the stuff! :lol: Sadly they know how to do this is Queensland! :eek:nfire: But otherwise it's alright! ;)

You're right about Facebook, free it isn't. They are just playing with words. You get something from them, and they get something from you. That is not "free" in any dictionary other than theirs.

In that sense you could put the word "Free" and stick it with other words like "Random" and "Perfect" - all seem to share the same fate eventually!

I haven't joined either, though I was thinking about it. I though that perhaps I could just put a link there. I put on the net what I want to and anybody that wants to find me can use Google. Facebook is superfluous but many people don't know that. Could I put a Google search box on my Facebook page? That would be a statement. lol

You should do that or just get screen dumps of all the search engines, popular websites, the youtubes or whatever and put them on your Facebook account. You can then say that everything you need is right here - only $10 to use it and by the time their've worked out it's a fake, you might of had a few hits! :lol:

Well whatever you decide to do, I had some thought about it and if I did create an account it would be under my alias, though the whole concept about it is to get in touch with your friends & family. True I could create another alias, though it just makes me feel that I have to do it for the sake of others instead of myself, and I hate that concept that one has to follow others down the same path to become a part of a group of Zombies! It was bad enough doing it for a bleedin' mobile phone (or "brain" cell phone ;)).

Bugger Facebook. I'm perfectly capable of contacting people IRL and on the Internet through means that don't involve my information being stored by the communication service, sold to advertisers, and then later "accidentally" made available to the general public.

Back