• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

MacOS 9 update hell

NeXT

Veteran Member
I seem to have a lot of mac content that does not fit in the other section of the forum :/
Anyways....
I just started the big move from MacOS 8.1 to 9.2.2 and I have hit a brick wall.

The move up to 9 was okay but when I then tried to apply the 9.1 update from a cd I have I an stopped by a window saying "This program cannot run on your computer."
Puzzled, I tried the updater you can download from apple and after three hours (why the hell is IE so slow on my mac?) I got it downloaded and it FINALLY updated me to 9.1.

Next was 9.2.1
Since I didn't have it on CD I downloaded it as well and another three hours later it was done and guess what happened when I started the updater?
"This program cannot run on your computer."
WTF?!
Now I'm stuck at 9.1. What on earth is going on here?
Only the base extensions are on and appletalk/sharing has been switched off.

Well that is a first. Turns out that 9.2.1 and 9.2.2 are just plain and simply not compatible with the ol' 604e. I'll have to upgrade to that Sonnet G4/1000 first then.

Okay, problem solved.

Yeah, but is there much of a substitute? Yes there is Netscape but I have not seen a decent version (68K and PPC) in ages.

I got one of those. Works great.

But, to get any OS higher than that supported by your model Mac you WILL need to run some hacks.

Otherwise, if you stay with OS 9, runs even better... I got a PowerMac 7500 with 1GB RAM, 1GHz G4 Sonnet, Radeon 7500, and OS X. (I think I installed Tiger on it)

Cause its made by the worst computer programmers who ever came out of India?

:mrgreen:

I've cleaned up after some pretty bad American programmers.

Let's not make comments like that on the forums - it is not the place for them.

Mike

OS 9.2.x was meant for G3's and later models running OSX (updates helped OS 9 run under OSX). 9.1 on a G3 upgraded PCI mac still rocks.

The G4 cards for the PCI macs are kind of interesting, but you kind of need OSX era apps to make good use of G4 CPUs and the memory bus on the PCI macs kills performance. A 1Ghz G3 would be nice, someday I will snag one for my B&W.

Hey, if I can run iTunes and play DVD's and some H.264 videos on my PowerMac 7500 with the Sonnet, all is great to me..

I even play Island mini golf on it.

I got one of those. Works great.

But, to get any OS higher than that supported by your model Mac you WILL need to run some hacks.

Otherwise, if you stay with OS 9, runs even better... I got a PowerMac 7500 with 1GB RAM, 1GHz G4 Sonnet, Radeon 7500, and OS X. (I think I installed Tiger on it)

Yeah, I'm planning on staying with 9.2.2 and on top of this I'll trick the system out with 1Gb ram, Radeon 7000, 50Gb scsi hard drive, usb and firewire as well as SCSI DVD and my trusty OrangePCI card. I'm saving OSX for the quad G5 I am saving up for. Sure it's not state of the art any more but it's still a damn good system.

I'm aware of that but nothing says that the earlier variant to OSX and other applications will be unbearable to use. I guess I'm kinda a PowerPC fan. :)

Back