• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

LanPar 5150 clone

docred

Experienced Member
I've got a 5150 clone, a LanPar, that I would like to move along to make some room. Its basically came to me as a parts machine, it has two non original half height 5.25s. It powers up, but I have not tested it fully (one of those 'grab it because its there and put it on the shelf and never get back to it' machines). I thought I would do a quick check and see if there is any interest, I'll put it on the bench and get whatever details people want if anyone would have a use for it.

You might reconsder gettng rid of the LandPar if you check-out ther history. I had a LanPar terminal for many years but eventually abandoned it. I stll regret it.

LanPar was the name given to a company establshed by 2 young Nortel IT employees in Ottawa who had developed an accounting program in the late 70s or early 80s. Unfortunately in validating their patent they used an acquaintance who lived in Vermont and therefore under US patent rules was not an uninterested 3rd party.

Lotus basicly used the LanPar program to establish their extremely successfull Lotus 123 empire. It was obvously a clone of the LanPar program as admitted in court. LanPar sued but after 10 years of litigation in which there was no question that Lotus 123 was a copy of the LanPar program, LanPar's suit was thrown out under the technicality of the LanPar princpals knowing the 3rd party technical investigator. Therefore thier patent was declared illegal. The dispute and litigation record is available on the I-net. Disgraceful but true.

LanPar contnued for a time, making Terninals and personal computers, but cash-strapped because of their suit against Lotus. A tragic outcome for 2 brillant computer scientsts.

Anyone into Canadian IT history might well consider keepng LanPar machines.

Lawrence

Thats an interesting bit of history - I wasn't aware of it. Makes me reconsider a bit, lol. I've been getting into the 'spring cleaning' mode a bit early, trying to organize things...maybe I should hold onto it and think about it for a while. Thanks Lawrence :)

Back