• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Faraday A-Tease motherboard

J26B is labeled "+power good". You should have nothing connected to it--it will be pulled high when the unit is powered on. The other side of J26B is GND.

Your reset button should go to J22, pins 1 and 2.

If there's nothing connected to the keylock header, that's okay.

I don't recall whose BIOS you have onboard, but you can check the beep codes here for the more common (e.g. AMI, Phoenix, Award) BIOSes.

Check that your DRAM chips are firmly seated (I recall having a hateful relationship with the sockets on this board). Similarly, check to see that all of your jumpers haven't changed since the board was last in the system (sometimes they can get knocked off).

When repairing things lately, I've gotten into the habit of photographing everything before I disassemble anything. It saves me from relying on my faulty memory or trying to decipher my notes.

Got the video back, wasn't paying enough attention and had hit the connector on the crt.

Good news is that I believe I didn't ruin anything replacing the mc146818.
Bad news is it is still giving same code as before (illegal shut down code in cmos)

While connecting the battery for cmos I touched a tiny component in that area and it came off. I'm not sure what it is, but feel it was corroded along with the cmos chip. (it's 3/8 in long & 1/8 in wide) believe it goes on Y02. It was stuck in a square with double back tape next to J26. Not sure but I think it says 2506 PK on it.

I'm thinking its time for another main board as the resistors and other components around that area show signs of corrosion,If I were able to fix this, something else would crop up.

Guess I'll check out the market forum for a mainboard or maybe I can update the whole PC. My main concern there would be the compatibilty with the Analog/Digital I/O board (Analog Devices Model RTI-815). That will take me to where I've never been. But HEY, if you don't buy a lottery ticket you will never win.

I want to thank everyone for their help

Thank You

David

If this is what I think it is, this is the 32KHz ceramic resonator for the clock in the CMOS chip. Usually attached with fine leads, but by no means irreplaceable.

See picture of component that had came off its leads, As you can see I have tried to solder it back on.
1st time i booted it up I thought I had it made. it went into setup as it used to with no battery on cmos, asked for floppy-hard drive, then mon., day, year, time etc. After that it flashed an error code faster than I could read it (something about clock error) and started rebooting to(illegal shut code in cmos) again.
Found I can boot to over 1Mb memory check by hitting ctrl, alt,del. at the same time, but haven't been able to boot past that spot except the 1 time.
I was ready to call it quits on this Mobo and play it taps, but now I don't know. Although I'm not sure where to go from here. Quess I'll study on it a while.

Ceramic resonator.jpg

Crystal

Crystal

You're going to have to replace the crystal. They're not designed to operate outside their casing.
Do you have anything laying around you can cannibalize ? Most anything with a clock on it probably has one in it somewhere, and the 32.768 kHz crystal is pretty much the universal standard for clock crystals.
patscc

From the time I first opened this, this has had no cover on it. It was held to the motherboard by the piece of 2 sided foam tape you see under it.
I have some older cards at home and will check to see if there is any crystals on them.
Is it supposed to be in what I would call a (can)?

I found a 43 Mhz and a 23.040 Mhz resonator on a couple old boards at home. If I put one of these in will it do anything other that make the clock run faster or slower?
Haven't looked in my alarm clock yet, but if it has the correct one it will be the donner.

Thank You

David

I found a 43 Mhz and a 23.040 Mhz resonator on a couple old boards at home. If I put one of these in will it do anything other that make the clock run faster or slower?
Haven't looked in my alarm clock yet, but if it has the correct one it will be the donner.

David

Note that this resonator is 32.768 KHz--about 1/1000 of the speed of the crystals that you're looking at. A crystal in the MHz range won't work.

That's why I used the term "ceramic resonator" rather than (quartz) "crystal"--the technologies are very different.

Modem7 said...used on the IBM 5170 motherboard
Didn't realize that. (Or I'd forgotten). Been ages since I looked at an AT motherboard. I thought all crystals and resonators needed to be encased. Live and learn, I guess.

patscc

Pattscc: Notice the skier must have been on the slopes before.
He has prothesis for legs!

David

Wrap-up

Wrap-up

I thought that I'd post that this one has been wrapped up.

Dave Engeland finally sent me his bad Faraday A Tease a couple of weeks ago and I had a look at it yesterday.

To make a long story short, there was basically nothing wrong with his repair--the MC146818 CMOS that he bought to replace it was bad--and, at some stage, the 27128A BIOS EPROMs got clobbered (they read F3 F3 F3....). I was able to get the board going after replacing the CMOS and the BIOS with a generic AMI set I had.

I'd like to cap this off by restoring the original BIOS image, but I don't have this one anywhere. Does anyone have the BIOS to this thing? It would be the same as that used on the PCs Limited/Dell 6 MHz 80286 boxes.

Back