• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Gateway 2000 486

I just god rid of one of these. I had been trying to sell it for the last six months, and I finally got somebody to take it away from me but I lost all profit on the shipping.

Be prepared to pay big bucks for one of those. They weigh about 35lbs.

My full sized tower 386-25 is sitting 4 feet away from me. I still use it so not for sale. I stuck a Asus P2B-B mother board in there with a 1Ghz PIII. Runs XP very well. As we all know, unless you are an avid gamer, we are wasting our money on all the Duo2 this and Duo2 that.

Ya Your telling me, I built a brand new Core 2 Duo system dual 2.6 Ghz, really sucked very unhappy with it. A P4 1.7 was faster.

My full sized tower 386-25 is sitting 4 feet away from me. I still use it so not for sale. I stuck a Asus P2B-B mother board in there with a 1Ghz PIII. Runs XP very well. As we all know, unless you are an avid gamer, we are wasting our money on all the Duo2 this and Duo2 that.

I just god rid of one of these. I had been trying to sell it for the last six months, and I finally got somebody to take it away from me but I lost all profit on the shipping.

Did the shipping cost more then the machine?

Why ditch a nice gateway?

I don't have any gateways that old but the G6 300 and G6 450 I have (towers) are built very well. The G6-300 was one of the last with the gateway 2000 emblem.

I didn't have room for it. I am moving most of my things to my home in China late this year, and I needed to downsize a little. While the Gateway 2000 case was very good quality it wasn't necessary to my small collection. I was about to trash it (as much as I'd hate to do that), but somebody finally bought it.

Core

Core

Cheap motherboard ? Core 2's with castrated cache ? Plain DDR memory ? Hyper-threading on ? Hyperthreading off? The list goes on...

Just out of curiosity, how was it determined that the P4 1.7 is faster then the Core 2 Duo ? (Not doubting, just curious)

patscc

Dali in Yunnan Province (a few hours from Kunming)

From personal experience, I can tell you that the crappiest Core2 chip on the market (I think it's the dual core Pentium 1.6GHz) feels several orders of magnitude faster than the P4 2.66GHz chip I was using. Not to mention it doesn't double as a space heater either.

Last edited:
LOL, yep, the P4 2.8ghz HyperThreading processor in my Toshiba A75s makes an EXCELLENT heater. They (2 of em) are the noisiest laptops I own. They like to shut down from too much heat too, like when doing C compiles or .NET version installs.

I really wanted to take that Gateway 2000 desktop off your hands, but I couldn't rationalize paying the shipping on it. Those were some of the shnazziest desktop cases from back then, IMO.

Back