• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Only in Michigan...?

That is one ugly rusted grill, used to be gas and they turned it into charcoal.

I have a gas grill (stored in the garage) and as long as it is not too windy I bring it to the edge of the garage door (to vent) and cook steaks in the winter. If there is no snow on the ground I bring it into the driveway next to the garage. When you have a craving for a grilled porterhouse and don't feel like spending $25 for one at a resteraunt you have to do what you have to do.

I also have a cast iron firepit/grill on wheels that I used to use when I had real wood to cook with, charcoal is ok but gas is abiut the same.

It gets the job done. I rescued it from the recycler guy's truck, before it hit the junkyard. Worked perfect on gas, but I've never got the hang of cooking on a gas grill, and eating Faux-Q* is even more difficult, so I gave the guts to Art for spares, since he has the same model. And BTW, the last porterhouse I had did cost almost $25.00, but it was buy-one-get-one free**, so really, half that I s'poze.

*Faux-Q is that stuff they cook on fake grills. When a real redneck tastes it, he throws it at the cook and yells FAUX-Q!!!

**BOGO is when the store doubles the price of the grocery, then offers 'two for the price of one'.

--T

I meant $25 a plate at a resteraunt, the raw meat itself is much less (I get mine from a local italian grocery store with real butchers working in the back).

Some people just fry steaks, that sucks. I need mine grilled or I do without.

Back when I was a kid my father would burn the outside of everything he cooked on the grill while leaving the inside raw, so we quit grilling until I decided to start it up a dozen years ago.

Some of the best food to grill are: baby spare ribs, leg+thigh chicken, lambchops, steaks, pork loins, thick pork chops, fish (with one of those metal racks that hold them in place), and since I have a rotissery add-on I do 2 whole chickens at once. Shrip on a stick work well too if you time them correctly. I probably get 5 propane tanks filled a year since I grill so much, mostly in the warmer parts of the year.

I much prefer Charcoal/Wood to gas.

One of the local kebab outlets had wood burners when they first opened, considering what doner "meat" is made of it tasted great. Then they fitted gas burners with fake "charcoal" sandwiched in mesh in front of them. Not quite the same ... :( (Worse still, they haven't changed the signage and menus which promote "the taste of real charcoal doner")

Looking forward to a few barbeques this summer :D

BG

I rarely grill to be honest, but I do have a nice charcoal grill that I'll try to use a bit more this year. I think the indoor grill kinda took my need for the charcoal away (just an electric Foreman knockoff). I do agree though, they say you can't taste gas from a gas grill but I seriously don't think it tastes as good and don't like the smell while it cooks. Although my experience has been skewed since usually if someone's grilling it's not me and it's free so grilled food is always good.

Some of the best food to grill are: baby spare ribs, leg+thigh chicken, lambchops, steaks, pork loins, thick pork chops, fish (with one of those metal racks that hold them in place), and since I have a rotissery add-on I do 2 whole chickens at once. Shrip on a stick work well too if you time them correctly.

Agreed, but those split breasts I smoked yesterday came out mighty fine too. Slow cooked for 1.5 hours, beer-basted every 10 minutes, mmmm-mmm! Then there's whole pork loins or better yet, tenderloins. One of my favorites.
When I cook whole chickens, it's usually over a can of beer...nice 'n juicy, but I wouldn't mind having a rotisserie tho.

--T

Last edited:
You want rednecks? I'll give ya rednecks!

(Warning...lovers of classic game machines (and most others here) won't find this particularly humourous...unless it's to laugh at people who could have made a tidy bundle on e-bay, but instead decided on another course of action)

Tez

A real redneck would have boxed those up and gave them to their kids for christmas with a SONY PS3+ sticker over the atari label.

LOL!

There are quite a few "computer smashing" videos on youtube including one of what looks like a 128k Mac!?

Tez

Last edited:
Back