• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

DOS Piano's

evildragon

Veteran Member
Does a DOS piano type app exist, where it would let me use the keyboard act as a piano, that'll work on FM chips on XT's like that of Adlibs and SB's?

I know FMOrgan works, but it's sounds rather suck, and it's monophonic. I want something more powerful.

I tried searching, but everytime I try it, Google screws up "keyboard" with the actual typing keyboard, or when I try DOS piano keyboard I get other wonky results.

I know the Yamaha FM chip is capable of better sounds than that of FM organ. A lot of games did great FM sounds.

I was about to direct your attention to a project of mine until I read you wanted better sound than the default (organ). I am building that support into a program of mine but it won't be there until May. PM me around then and I'll be happy to add it for you.

If it has polyphonic capabilities at the moment, that's better than what FM Organ has, and that would be a blessing. I know the keyboard controller in the Model 25 should be able to handle some chords...

Does a DOS piano type app exist, where it would let me use the keyboard act as a piano, that'll work on FM chips on XT's like that of Adlibs and SB's?

I know FMOrgan works, but it's sounds rather suck, and it's monophonic. I want something more powerful.

Hi there! My first post in the forum. I found it, actually, due to your thread. You see, I am now currently programming a DOS music application that does what you want, allowing a user to play piano sounds using the computer keyboard and is actually polyphonic! In fact, it might be just a tad more powerful than you might expect because it will allow playing of chords with just one button.

There is, of course, a limit to what I can milk out of it, so the polyphony is currently capped at 8 simultaneous notes. The audio quality should be better than FM quality because it is using actual sample data. You might even think it's a humble DOS version of GIGAPIANO. It's probably more like a MEGAPIANO, however.

I look forward to posting more about it when it is ready for public release. In the meantime, it would be cool for me to know how many people would actually be keen to help me test it.

Back