• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

FOR SALE: 486 Motherboaed QDI US491P3 intel i486 sx

Mr.Cool

Im accepting offers

the board and pins are all in great shape

email or pm me if you are interested or have any questions

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Last edited:
Unless I'm missing something REALLY special about this board your price point is about $130 too high. I give boards like this away and had to recycle the last 20 or so.

+1 on both responses above.

(Does that make it +2?) :mrgreen:

Oh and please, I beg you, make those pics smaller.

Pics can be worth a thousand words, but please don't force them all start with F or S.

Cleaning the board so it's not all full of hair could also help with its appeal.

ok so then how much would this board be worth, i saw one on ebay going for ~180 so i priced mine at 150

You can't use ebay as a price guide, stuff there is rarely priced properly. As its been stated its hard to give away 486 motherboards. I hate to knock over everything you have going but its generally not worth anything unless there's something genuinely unique about it.

You can't use ebay as a price guide, stuff there is rarely priced properly. As its been stated its hard to give away 486 motherboards.
There exists entire stores on EBay with inventories of old equipment. It is my opinion that they list everything they can with a very high price on the chance that someone somewhere needs that exact board for replacement in an existing commercial system. If I had that board in a live server that could not be replaced, $150 is not too much. I don't and I suspect not many do.

Unless that is the model you're willing to develop then the best you can hope for is to list it on the site's FREE marketplace and let it either bid up or sell for a small monetary amount.

See http://marketplace.vintage-computer.com/ for the vintage computer marketplace.

kb2syd said:
It is my opinion that they list everything they can with a very high price on the chance that someone somewhere needs that exact board for replacement in an existing commercial system. If I had that board in a live server that could not be replaced, $150 is not too much. I don't and I suspect not many do.

True, I never thought about something like that. Reminds me that in 2005 I was called upon to break down and remove an old work cell machine from a factory. It was reel to reel tape with an S-100 back plane inside with bubble memory and the only reason they replaced it was because it caught on fire.

There exists entire stores on EBay with inventories of old equipment. It is my opinion that they list everything they can with a very high price on the chance that someone somewhere needs that exact board for replacement in an existing commercial system. If I had that board in a live server that could not be replaced, $150 is not too much. I don't and I suspect not many do.

Unless that is the model you're willing to develop then the best you can hope for is to list it on the site's FREE marketplace and let it either bid up or sell for a small monetary amount.

See http://marketplace.vintage-computer.com/ for the vintage computer marketplace.

They're also banking on the notion that someone might interpret the wrong decimal place and hit Buy It Now before realizing their mistake. :twisted:

One should never gauge prices based on "listed" prices on eBay. Best bet is to search for completed listings that ended in a sale, and go from there. Preferably ones that started with really low bids (say, 99 cents), and ended up with a bidding war.

Here's one that sold on ebay for $185.52, however the rest of those being sold are in the $30.00 to $50.00 range.

Motherboard OPTI-495SLC 386 486 VLB 386DX-40 High-End

Item number: 140136839073

Here's one that sold on ebay for $185.52, however the rest of those being sold are in the $30.00 to $50.00 range.

Motherboard OPTI-495SLC 386 486 VLB 386DX-40 High-End

Item number: 140136839073

Those are rare, but a 386 does not run well with a VLB bus. The seller had 3 more and removed them from ebay unsold.

There are people who do not want to spend time and effort looking around for things and prefer to spend decent money to buy it the second they want something, those people pay a premium for the convenience. Most others are not that picky, and can look around or waite a bit to get what they want at a much cheaper price. I have seen things sell on ebay for many multiples of what I paid for them at other places, or even snagged free locally. Even on ebay prices are hit or miss.

They're also banking on the notion that someone might interpret the wrong decimal place and hit Buy It Now before realizing their mistake. :twisted:

One should never gauge prices based on "listed" prices on eBay. Best bet is to search for completed listings that ended in a sale, and go from there. Preferably ones that started with really low bids (say, 99 cents), and ended up with a bidding war.

Also, a lot of those folks have "or best offer" buttons. It's a valid way to try and see what something they are selling is worth. Put a ridiculous price on it and if you get a couple lowball bids and a few slightly higher then you have a range. If you are lucky someone might want something bad enough or quickly enough to snap.

The ebay seller "newsgroups" is notorious for astronomical pricing.

In fact I had my first successful best offer sale as my last two ebay purchases. It was overpriced but difficult to find system and another auction was also for the software/manuals that go with the system. I still paid more than they're probably worth but atleast it was a discount and I have a second type of system that can use the software as well.

Completed auctions do give you a good price margin for bidding, selling it's ok but I still think the prices are a little inflated. Using items for sale (not sold) is good for girlfriends and wives who need convincing that you should get that system though.

Those are rare, but a 386 does not run well with a VLB bus.

It doesn't? I still have one such system complete with VLB SCSI and video. It was my main development system for several years; even runs OS/2 Warp and Linux just fine.

Exactly what about a 386 doesn't work with a VLB? I must have missed it. :shock:

It doesn't? I still have one such system complete with VLB SCSI and video. It was my main development system for several years; even runs OS/2 Warp and Linux just fine.

Exactly what about a 386 doesn't work with a VLB? I must have missed it. :shock:

I said it didn't work well. From what others with the systems have said, the VLB bus slows down the CPU a bit and the cards themselves run slower then they would on a 486 system.

I said it didn't work well. From what others with the systems have said, the VLB bus slows down the CPU a bit and the cards themselves run slower then they would on a 486 system.

But faster than traditional ISA cards, right?

I don't understand what the problem is then.... :huh: I must be very dense today.

486 Computer

486 Computer

I got lucky and picked up a complete working 486 computer (no monitor) for $25. Case, MB, Hard Drive, Dual Floppy Disk Drives, RAM, CPU and etc. The real expense is the shipping. On Ebay you can pick up 486 Motherboards for $20 if you shop around. Some of the more expensive ones have EISA slots which most people do not use if you are Vintage Computing. I have seen complete systems for $100 which in my opinion are priced too high. With patience, you can pick them up pretty cheap.

I would price your Motherboard at $15 - $20. One negative is that your CPU is an SX and many programs from that generation require a DX chip.

SX = No Math Co-Processor.

Hope this helps :D

Vlb

Vlb

Unknown_K said...the VLB bus slows down the CPU a bit
VLB was clocked at the external CPU clock. A lot of systems used 33 Mhz clocks, and that's what the VLB ran at, and that's what a lot of cards ran at. You could find cards that would be stable at 40 Mhz, and a few that would run at 50Mhz, although 50 Mhz is out-of-spec for VLB. Since the VLB's LCLK ran at system clock, if you overclocked your board, the VLB would follow.
Since VLB runs at the external clock speed, there's nothing to slow the CPU down.
However, VLB had provisions for cards to indicate if they were above/below 33 Mhz cards, and for wait-state insertion.
It's a fussy bus, mixing different speed cards could cause all kinds of headaches. If you tried to add more than the typical VLB video card & a HD controller of some sort, you could sometimes have some serious fiddling ahead of you since the signal characteristics of the bus were quite poor.
The biggest difference between 386/486 operation was that with a 386, VLB bursting wasn't possible. Oddly enough, with some cheap cards that ostensibly supported bursting did a poor job implementing it, and they'd actually run better on a 386-system.

patscc

Back