• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Acculogic side-1/16

I could of tried a few other HD's I had, but I can't imagine much better results from any of them over the CF, only worse most likely or the same more or less..

Waiting for a 1/2 GIG CF Card to come in, if that works, I will connect two of them to the card and that should be enough for my XT.

The XT is fully loaded, every slot taken up except for the 8th slot.

AST 6 Pak
Microsoft Mouse Card
IBM CGA Card
286 Orchid Card
Enhanced 1.44/360 Floppy Card
Acculogic IDE Card
Sound Blaster Card REV 1
The MotherBoard has a 8087
The Orchid 286 has a 80287 8mhz

All cards are 8-bit.

Nice thing bout this CF Card, small
light, no moving parts, low power usage
faster, and more capacity, stick it to the
side of anything with velcro can't beat that.

The XT originally came with a 20meg mfm
that died, it was replaced with a 1.44 meg
floppy black to match the 360k IBM
Floppy for asthetics.

What more could a IBM XT ask for...

I've got nothing to add except to say that this is such a cool setup, when I build an XT I want to do something just like this!

I've got nothing to add except to say that this is such a cool setup, when I build an XT I want to do something just like this!

I will get photos of it so you can see, the idea is to make the XT go as far as it can without really changing the XT itself, everything plugged in and worked as it the XT without actually changing the XT itself. Except for the SF cards, all the rest came from the vintage era.

I will get photos of it so you can see, the idea is to make the XT go as far as it can without really changing the XT itself, everything plugged in and worked as it the XT without actually changing the XT itself. Except for the SF cards, all the rest came from the vintage era.

You mean that changing thefloppy and hard disk controller on an XT isn't changing the "XT itself"? Isn't the hard disk and controller part of the XT (as purchased from IBM)?

I've got to admit that I don't get rules of this "collecting" thing. :huh:

I didn't buy the computer from IBM, bought it from someone who
thought the computer was dead, the Hard Drive was dead.

The floppy was left in there, an IBM Black 360k.

I bought two replacements for it, both died few months later, one of the
hard drives was even newish, died - not good.

So instead of buying more ready to die MFM drives, I bought an
Acculogic IDE Card, CF-IDE Adaptor and added a CF Card, plugged it in
as is, worked as is.

Since I now have an empty slot where the dead HD was, I put a
1.44meg floppy in there black of course, 360k black floppy drives
for this thing don't seem to be plentyful.

If I ever get another 360k half height IBM marked floppy, I will replace it,
don't really need the 1.44 meg floppy in there.

So everything used is un modified technology and the XT seems to
work without any problems.

I've got to admit that I don't get rules of this "collecting" thing. :huh:

Depending on the condition of the computer, what you should
do with it as far as replacing dead parts for new or perhaps
dead parts for other working old parts is a matter of what is
available and realistically capable of any use.

If you have a monitor or tv of any kind that is over 20 years
of age, every day could be the last day of its life.

So with that in mind, perhaps unplugging that very old
and expensive RGB monitor for a VGA one might not
be such a bad idea after all.

If you have a monitor or tv of any kind that is over 20 years of age, every day could be the last day of its life.

So with that in mind, perhaps unplugging that very old
and expensive RGB monitor for a VGA one might not
be such a bad idea after all.

Hmm, the television in my bedroom (a Sony) is way over 20 years old, survived an earthquake and is still going strong. I've had to replace a couple of caps over the years, but have had little trouble with it otherwise.

Ask a clerk in your favorite big-box store if the new HDTV that you're buying will still be operational 20 years from now.

In general, the older stuff was made to last. Do you think that the VGA LCD display you're using today will still be working 20 years from now? It's simply not engineered for a service life that long.

Hmm, the television in my bedroom (a Sony) is way over 20 years old, survived an earthquake and is still going strong. I've had to replace a couple of caps over the years, but have had little trouble with it otherwise.

Ask a clerk in your favorite big-box store if the new HDTV that you're buying will still be operational 20 years from now.

In general, the older stuff was made to last. Do you think that the VGA LCD display you're using today will still be working 20 years from now? It's simply not engineered for a service life that long.

My Sony Trinitron TV Died after 17 years, My Sony SFII is hitting 11 years old and still works.

Xel-1

Xel-1

No, but I can imagine everyone sitting around hear arguing over what cleanser to use on the panel, and what's the best way to re-blacken the case, and if replacing the OLED panel with a color digital paper one is cheating or not, and just how compatible the logic board of a XEL-n is.
patscc

I have a Black and White portable Sony TV which was modified for use as a b/w monitor for my System 80 way back in 1981.

It still goes!

Tez

cathode

cathode

gerrydoire said...If you have a monitor or tv of any kind that is over 20 years of age
Most anything can be repaired or rigged (look at the 5154 repair thread), but the CRT can only be replaced.
Leaving burn-in aside, one of the limiting factors in a monitor's life is how long the cathode lasts. Always-on gives you about 3000 hours for older oxide-style cathodes, 20,000 hours for newer dispenser cathodes, before you need to refurbish or regenerate( if you think regeneration is acceptable ) to get contrast/brightness back up to spec.
The figures go up for cyclical operation, and even after the design life of the cathode, are still quite usable for a long, long time afterwards. It helps to keep the innards free of dust to prevent arc paths building up, which can cause premature failure.
I've got a old B/W tv from '76 that still runs fine, and back in CA I'd occasionally stumble across early '60's color sets that just kept on ticking.
In 2002, I returned a mid-80's Zenith to my inlaws after their 1995 Hitachi had it's shadow mask detach during a move. I threw the Zenith in the back of my PU, drove it over their, and it's still working.
I can understand the lure of using cheap VGA panels, they cost less to replace, even though they aren't really hobbyist-reparable, although there's a lot of equipment out there in vintage computer land that just flat refuses to do VGA.
I actually worry more about powering up my flat-panel equipment then my old CRT's.
patscc

That Sony in my bedroom survived a fall off a table during the 1989 Loma Prieta quake, so I know it's at least 20 years old--and it wasn't new then. Pre-remote control for Sony also.

On the new made-in-China VGA LCDs, I think an indication is that service manuals and schematics are generally unavailable, even from the manufacturers. These things are pretty much intended to be landfill.

..system 80.. guessing that's different than just a trs-80? From what I understand that's all RS trs-80 model 1 monitors were was a b&w tv with a hardcoded frequency/channel.

I can understand the lure of using cheap VGA panels, they cost less to replace, even though they aren't really hobbyist-reparable, although there's a lot of equipment out there in vintage computer land that just flat refuses to do VGA.
I actually worry more about powering up my flat-panel equipment then my old CRT's.
patscc

I think the point is that if a modern VGA display does blow up, who cares? You can just run right out and pick up another one for five buck$. Older displays are best kept aside for special occasions.

--T

i will get photos of it so you can see, the idea is to make the xt go as far as it can without really changing the xt itself, everything plugged in and worked as it the xt without actually changing the xt itself. Except for the sf cards, all the rest came from the vintage era.

pics, pics, pics!! :mrgreen:

From what I understand that's all RS trs-80 model 1 monitors were was a b&w tv with a hardcoded frequency/channel.
Rather, it was a black & white TV with the tuner removed. The Model I uses a standard composite video output, but Radio Shack did not provide for the use of an RF modulator and a standard TV set as a display, because its 64-column text couldn't be displayed clearly by most TV sets at the time.

Anyway, color CGA and EGA monitors have rarely given me any trouble. Most were quite expensive when new and were well-built. Even color composite monitors are very sturdy; my Amdek Color-I came out of a county college Apple II computer lab and it still works like new.

On the other hand, most of the MDA monochrome monitors I've come across were on their last legs, likely due to lengthy daily use in a business. Even if the CRT is not burned-in, MDA monitors often get very dim and sometimes "wavy" (a wobbly display due to bad capacitors).

That's a mod I want to know how to do. Got any details?

--T

I didn't do the mod, but when I next dig it out I'll crack it open and take pics. It has the tuner intact so you can use it for a monitor and TV. It also has another mod which let's you plug the System 80/TRS-80 cassette AUX line into it, and hear the sound effects (using the TV's amp).

It is the perfect monitor for that machine.

Tez

Back