• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Sun comm parameters?

Terry Yager

Veteran Member
I'm trying to get this Sun Ultra 60 Elite 3D system booted, but I don't have a proper monitor or keyboard. I'd like to hang a terminal off the serial port, but I don't know how to set it up correctly. Are there default terminal parameters for booting this machine? Are there any jumpers/switches to put it into the right mode for communication via the RS-232? Am I crazy for trying? Am I just plain crazy?

--T

I'm guessing it's like most Sun systems. As long as there isn't a keyboard attached to the system on boot it'll default to outputting to the serial port. Some Sun systems have a Y adapter (the LX atleast does) but I hear it still works if you jack right into it with a null modem cable.

Other than that it should be standard connection settings and 9600 baud but you'd quickly realize an incorrect baud with the gibberish it would spit out at ya.

I think you'll find that most Sun consoles want 7/E/1 at 9600 baud.
And yes, without a keyboard attached, the serial port becomes the console.
Piece of cake.
Things only get interesting if you don't have the root password. :)

Well, BUD! If you would break down and look at section 3.2.1 in the DOCUMENTATION, it has a nice pretty drawing of the wiring.

Turns out to be the min. null modem, 3 wires, local signals looped.

I use a real tty myself sometimes, the old LSI ADM 3A.

oh, well, if you have the usual dte - dce thing, then not null.

2-2 3-3 7-20 joined to 7-20 joined

Hey, tnx guys. If I had to wing it, my best guess would've been no hardare handshake, E71, at 300 baud, kinda the minimum for a terminal setup. Y'all prob'ly just saved me a lot of time trying all the different 'minimum' configurations possible (or <choke>...RT-ing the FM).

I just knew that Sun wouldn't leave me hanging without a way of jacking-in a console for troubleshooting if sum'n is wrong with the video subsystem, etc.

Hmmmmnnn...now I'm wondering if my terminal even goes up to 9600? I think the one I usually use only does 110, 300 & 1200. I might have to wait till I can go grab the other one out of storage...

--T

hmm, YES null. The terminal is DTE and the computer is DTE!

so 2-3 3-2 7-20 joined to 7-20 joined

Back