• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

An S-100 computer built together by left over parts......

PacMan

Experienced Member
Well here it is,
My ultimate lab S-100 computer. For all those boards that needs testing before I put them into my Altair or SOL computer, like the prototype board I'm working on right now.

It's built on top of an old bottom from a scrapped Atari 2600 console. It has a 120W power supply that I got from eBay a few years back. I got a great deal on 10 units for $25 + shipping. It has been tweaked to produce a single +7.2Volt as well as ±19 Volts.

The backplane (motherboard) is the old backplane that came with my Altairkit, bought from Grant a few years back. As mentioned in another thread, my Altair now sports an 18-slot motherboard *wroom wroom*

Here are some pictures of it:

monstera_1.JPG

This picture is taken from the front of it, here you can see my lab board I'm working on.

monstera_2.JPG

This image gives you a better picture of the layout of it. The rear lab board only has a reset switch on it...... so far but I have a few 6845's in my desk so who knows what will happen.

monstera_3.JPG

From the back, here you can see the power supply.

monstera_4.JPG

A close up of the power supply, nothing fancy but for $2.50 a piece it's a gem.

monstera_5.JPG

Another overview picture of it..... I just love computer with lots of boards. Makes them look more powerful and deadly :twisted:

Anyways, work is now down on the lab board due to my broken PLD programmer.

Wife:
- So this means you can do some real work now.

Me:
- Uhuh :sneaky:

........signing out

Nice. If you would do it inside a NES case, it would almost be enough room to close the case. ;-)

Although not gaming related, perhaps you'd be interested in showcasing some of your works later on at RetroGathering? I'm sure a number of regulars would get a lot of satisfaction looking and see you demonstrate it.

Looks great. My first computer was S100 so it brings back memories. Do you have a display? I'm just thinking of the current thread running at the moment with a PockeTerm. If your board interfaces with RS232 then you could add a display. What CPU is it running and have you got it to the operating system stage yet?

Back