• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Heathkit MicroProcessor Learning Center

Ledge

I have some Heathkit training equipment for sale.
This is a Heathkit MicroProcessor Learning Center model ET-3400.
I also have the Memory I/O Accessory box model ETA-3400, and the H9 Video Terminal EIA-416.
There is a stack of documentation/assembly instructions to go with it.

More info or pics available upon request.
I am located in Wisconsin, USA.

I have no clue of it's value, and would appreciate any input from your knowledge bank.

Thanks

That sounds awesome. I bet you'll get a bunch of responses if you care to post a picture of it all. I'm certainly tempted but not sure it's in my budget right now.

Crud, here we go again!!

On ebay, that Memory I/O Expansion box, IF WORKING, is almost worth it weight in gold!! The et-3400 itself is very common and has an average price around $40-60. The H9, hmmm, don't really know on that one, maybe $75 to $100 if the wind is right.

The Memory I/O deal, if you get 2 people that have been looking for one for the last 37 months, could EASILY fetch $250. Those babies are tough to find!

I am waiting on a 40 pin part so I can hook the ones I have together. You ever try to do anything with all that?? I read something about using 6 bit ascii codes with the Expansion box. I haven't been able to look into the details yet. I have numerous dumb terminal available, none are configurable for 6 bits <shrug>.

Last edited:
Well, with the recession, I can see the price on a H9 coming down fairly fast, now that I think about it. It's that $68.95 for shipping!!!!

Well that's good news to here.
Sounds like I might get a few good dollars for this if I can find the right person.
Somebody local .... in Wisconsin .... no shipping .... would be great!

I took a pic of the 'package' I want to sell.
Lots of schematics, blow-ups, etc.
The memory I/O has the schematics, assembly manual, and user manual.
The 3400 and the terminal have all of that too.

All in all, it is a very complete package.

No, I have never tried doing anything with this stuff.
It was give to me by a friend, many years ago.
We were C=64 buddies, and this stuff belonged to his father.
His father had passed away, and he asked if I wanted it .... or it was going to the dump.
Me .... I just can't throw away anything .....
It's been sitting on a shelf ever since.

Anyway, here is a place you can go to DL a pic of the system.
http://www.box.net/shared/ut6acpt2k5

Well, I'm laying off this one, boys. The OP will be happy to learn that the previous assessments are indeed in the right price range, with th exception of the H9, which is actually worth about double what chuckie thinks is a good price for it. OTOH, with the current economy... Good luck with the sale.

--T

H9

H9

Not too be fussy, guys, but what's so special about the H9 ?
It's one ugly mother (which is why mine is still in the projects in-box)
It's not even that good a terminal, to begin with. I mean, I know it's got the whole IKEA look thing going for it, but still...
patscc

Just like, in truth, the LSI ADM 3A is not that good looking. Kinda looks like the front part of a snowmobile (the ADM). Still, I came to work in 1975 and used a 3A all day long, every day, weekends too.

Same deal with the Heathkit stuff. Not pretty but was great fun to put together and get working. Hearing in my left ear is damaged from listening to a Heathkit Super-regenerative receiver with a single ear phone. I would turn it way up trying to understand some distant signal and suddenly, some other kind of radio signal would come drifting across. Was always much too loud. I later learned that that type of receiver is "the bottom of the barrel", which is why I could afford it in the first place.

Six-bit ASCII

Six-bit ASCII

I am waiting on a 40 pin part so I can hook the ones I have together. You ever try to do anything with all that?? I read something about using 6 bit ascii codes with the Expansion box. I haven't been able to look into the details yet.

Hi Chuck,

Wikipedia sez that ASCII came about in 1963 as a seven bit code for teletypes. It was revised in '67 and again in the eighties. It sounds to me that there never was a "six bit ASCII". Even if the memory accessory was six bit, all you would have to do to use it would be to acquire a Heathkit terminal. If they made the memory accessory special, they wouldn't miss a perfect chance to sell a special part to go along with it. It wouldn't make business sense.

Any chance you can help me get the forty pin part? Mine is missing that as well. I am hoping that the manuals I have (originals and on CD from eBay) tell which connections to make.

I can hook you up with some teletype enthusiats if you wanna ask about the six bit thing more. "Greenkeys" they call themselves.

Thanks,
Sean, unlike Chuck much taken with appearance of the ADM-3A :)

Heath

Heath

The H9, that works with it & the H8, is a plain, dumb RS323 terminal. Regular ASCII.
The 40-pin header is just that, a 40-pin header. Think IDE.
And for those nosey parkers that need to know how much something cost, Ledge cleaned me out down to $2.19 that I gave him for a spare C64, brick, and a couple of cables.
The ET-3400 sure is purtty, though. The H9 needs work, but there you go.
patscc

Hiya Ledge,
How much did you get for it?
Thanks,
Sean

It would still be hard to put a price on it.
It became part of the group of items he selected from my 'collection'.
I cleaned him out, as he said.
He knows he did well, I am satisfied.

He also knows the "C64, brick, and a couple of cables" for $2.19 were non-functional, and almost a 'gift' at the end of the dealings.

The total price and amount of other equipment he purchased is up to him to disclose.

Good thing pat had enough cash on hand...gettin' a bank loan these days is murder. Prob'ly hadda empty out his wallet, his mattress, and both sox...even the one with the hole in it.

--T

Yeah but, anything that does have any actual value is usually over-priced (which, BTW, is why we like to sell there). 'Fair prices' come few and far between, it's usually weighed heavily to one extreme or the other (seemingly, depending whether I'm buying or selling)

--T

Last edited:
Back