• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Buildt like a tank?

per

Veteran Member
There is a saying that IBM PCs were built like a tank. That might be true for the System Unit and Keyboard, but the monitor...

Well, I just recived the XT I was talking about earlier. Looks like the shipper ignored my request of using bubble wrap, he used "peanuts" instead :( .

*Edit*
However, if anybody got a spare 5153 within Europe (preferable Scandinavia), please drop me an PM.

Last edited:
Was the 5153 actually built by IBM or is just an IBM-branded item. Weren't a fair number of IBM PC video displays built under contract to IBM in Korea or Taiwan?

If so, don't blame the "not built like a tank" on IBM...

Was the 5153 actually built by IBM or is just an IBM-branded item. Weren't a fair number of IBM PC video displays built under contract to IBM in Korea or Taiwan?

If so, don't blame the "not built like a tank" on IBM...

I don't know. It was a standar 5153.

The CRT itself doesn't look that broke on the outside, but I haven't gotten the ability to open the monitor yet (my dad took the pictures as of I am in Bergen right now). If the neck of the CRT is intact, the monitor might acutually still work!

Here is a picture of it along the rest of the computer (on the lighter side, that one card looks awfully lot like a SCSI controller, and that other one must be an genetic Hard drive controller, even though I might forget trying to get that hard drive up running. I also like the fact that it got one or two banks of gold-topped RAM chips):

Last edited:
I fail to see the distinction. If IBM put their name on it in that era, it was supposed to be built like a tank. A 5153 from one region is supposed to be identical to any other 5153.

Monitors are problematic to ship no matter how well they are built. Which is why UPS insists on shipping monitors only in the original packaging which is designed to cradle the monitor. Think about the weight of the tube and how it is mounted, and you can see the problems.

Sorry to hear about your mishap Per.

This is true, anything I have seen by IBM has always seem built very well. Yes I always have avoided shipping monitors or receiving them at all. They are very heavy and cost tons of cash to ship and end up looking like yours per in the end.

I fail to see the distinction. If IBM put their name on it in that era, it was supposed to be built like a tank. A 5153 from one region is supposed to be identical to any other 5153.

Monitors are problematic to ship no matter how well they are built. Which is why UPS insists on shipping monitors only in the original packaging which is designed to cradle the monitor. Think about the weight of the tube and how it is mounted, and you can see the problems.

That's a real shame about the monitor. Shipping these things are always hazardous.

Apart from the one Eric (Frozenfire) sent me (which was extremely well packed and arrived undamaged) I'm never had a monitor shipped in. It's not something I would risk normally.

If I really want some of the remaining machines on my hit list, I might have to risk it again one day though.

Tez

Sorry to see that per.

I've shipped a lot of very expensive musical instruments like cellos and violins, as well as brass and woodwinds. I would take peanuts over bubble wrap any day. Bubble wrap, unless it's the large 6 inch bubbles, is almost useless. Various kinds of wrap can prevent surface damage but does not guard against impact.

The problem with a monitor is, of course, it's weight. Suspension in a proper styrofoam block assembly, such as done commercially, is probably the only way that has a "high yield". I often wonder why people try other methods. They're probably the same people that buy lottery tickets. :)

Interestingly, violins are really easy to ship because they are so light that they don't damage themselves. The only problem with those is humidty change.

Idea:
I have not tried to ship a monitor but there is a system that I have seen for heavier items which might be applicable here. The item (monitor?) is placed in a bag. Then in a cardboard box with a bit of spacing material. Then the remaining space is spray filled with plastic foam. My thought is that a can of insulation foam doesn't cost that much and could probably fill more than the space needed around a monitor. You can make it easier to unpack by spraying into plastic bags. /brainstorm

Wow, I love those dual fans on that PS ! Definitely not the
original IBM power supply. The PC itself looks really nice !

Sorry to hear about the monitor damage. Its possible it might
still work, I would first remove the case and see that the inside
is intact. Make sure no cables etc came loose during shipping.
Look closely at those small controls at the lower rear of the case
because they are connected directly to the mainboard. If
any pressure is exerted on those controls, it can crack the main
circuit board. It happened on a monitor I received. Fortunately
I was able to repair it.

It's probably possible to repair the case, I think the type of plastic
used in those older monitors can be glued with superglue.

InstaPak

InstaPak

I've used InstaPak self-expanding styrofoam carts for stuff like monitors. It contours to the shape of the item.
Pity about your monitor, Per.
If the vacuum of the tube is compromised, you should see a lightening of the phosphor in the center of the screen.
patscc

mbbrutman said:

Just like a 5150 floppy drive (MPI, Shugart, Tandon) is supposed to be identical to any other 5150 drive?

IBM did not hold their suppliers to the same design in all cases. You can see minor differences in componentry in PSUs and monitors. I can't imagine that IBM would have done things differently than any other vendor of the time for a consumer-level product--i.e., put out a specification with their RFQ.

Better lay off the super glue until you're certain. Super glue will cause some types of plastic to crumble into a mushy mass. I'd probably try methyl chloride first, then MEK and finally a glue of some sort, all on some small invisible area.

Yes, I have a H-89 that suffered the same fate. I pulled the non-destroyed cards out of it. The CRT and power supply are hopeless. Yoke windings bounced off the metal cage, making multiple cuts in the wire wraps. While attempted a make-shift yoke repair, I managed to drop molten solder onto the power supply, with the expected results. I just attempted another H-89 on ebay but a KNOWN NON-WORKING H-89 went for almost $200.00. Piss and moan. I guess myself and the Heath 89 just ain't going to get together any time soon.

Wow, I love those dual fans on that PS ! Definitely not the
original IBM power supply. The PC itself looks really nice !

Sorry to hear about the monitor damage. Its possible it might
still work, I would first remove the case and see that the inside
is intact. Make sure no cables etc came loose during shipping.
Look closely at those small controls at the lower rear of the case
because they are connected directly to the mainboard. If
any pressure is exerted on those controls, it can crack the main
circuit board. It happened on a monitor I received. Fortunately
I was able to repair it.

Will Epoxy-based glue do?

I just realized the serial number, 0010472, isn't that pretty low? According to the multi-card, it's an early model, and the gold-topped RAM IC's, it's not one of the last made, but he PSU does not look original at all (Problably upgraded to deliver more than 130W). Something not shown in the picture are some minor damadge to the PSU On/Off swich, but it's not completely broken and it is higly possible that it still works. The screws on the rear is missing for some reason.

That one card can't be a SCSI controller because it got 3 40-pin headers. I wonder what it is... Some kind of IDE (8-bit? 16-bit?) controller. Maybe?

Will Epoxy-based glue do?

Most epoxies don't stick well to plastic and will eventually discolor with age. The best solution is a solvent-type cement that will evaoprate completely, leaving only the welded plastic behind.

I just realized the serial number, 0010472, isn't that pretty low? According to the multi-card, it's an early model, and the gold-topped RAM IC's.

RAM, being socketed is no indication of age. My 64K 5150 had plastic factory DRAM (4116) for the first 16K. I had a bunch of Intel 2117 cerdips (with gold) that I populated the other three rows with.

it's not one of the last made, but he PSU does not look original at all (Problably upgraded to deliver more than 130W). Something not shown in the picture are some minor damadge to the PSU On/Off swich, but it's not completely broken and it is higly possible that it still works. The screws on the rear is missing for some reason.

The floppy controller looks to be original.

It's hard to tell what that card with the headers is.. If you can post a shot of the card out of the case, it would be easier to tell.

RAM, being socketed is no indication of age. My 64K 5150 had plastic factory DRAM (4116) for the first 16K. I had a bunch of Intel 2117 cerdips (with gold) that I populated the other three rows with.
The floppy drive says 06/84, so my guess is 1984.

The floppy controller looks to be original.
So is the Patallel card and CGA card. For some reason, the original IBM cards have a Green-then-red mark on the top (closest to the metal bracket) of the PCB. I don't know if anybody else had this mark.

It's hard to tell what that card with the headers is.. If you can post a shot of the card out of the case, it would be easier to tell.
I'll ask my dad if he can get a snapshot of it.

Another thing I find weird is two (or more) resistors next to the RAM IC's. You can see them inbetween the Multicard and the IDE-ish controller card on picture 3.

Last edited:
I like those gold ram chips too. Got this multifunction memory card
in a Sanyo MBC-885 a long time ago :

Attachments

• DSCF0053.jpg
    DSCF0053.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 1
Oh crap, that monitor suffered the same fate as my 1st 5153.

See the pictures here;

5153 Back

5153 Front

A good thing is that all the electronics survived, sans board to connect to CRT. I saved it for parts.

As to survivability, I think the IBM monitors are indeed tougher than most other monitors of the day. You'll occasionally run across one that looks as bad or worse than the one in the picture, but still works great. Most others won't survive a drop hard enough to smash the case, but the IBMs consistently do.

--T

Back