• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Vintage computer info please

luvoldies

Hello,
I'm a newbie here. Hope all are well and thriving here!

Can anyone give me any web pages or info of any kind for 2 old vintage computers I just aquired?
Example = What are they worth?
What should I do with them, if anything and who might be interested in aquiring them..?
They are:

1) 1985-92 '386' Dr. Halo lll 'graphic device supports artist rendering-type manipulation' laptop with the old 5 1/2 x 5 3/4 floppies for mouse driver/utilities. But no 5 1/2 x 5 3/4 floppie drive.
Microsoft Windows Vs 3.1 384 K Dos 2.1 Works with CGA emulation
Has owners/user manual.
There are issues with the mouse but it will work if you are patient. Everything else seems fine. No external cdrom drive and only normal DOS and Windows files on a hard drive. Printer port (no cable)
mouse port/cable.
Huge battery pack for power and power plug in

2) 1998 Umax Action Book
Dos works fine. Has a UMAX RECOVERY CD for reboot but there are CDROM issues and it does not work.
Otherwise I believe all working okay-at least at this moment.

I need a free download to copy to disk to use with drive A inorder to reboot.

Any help or suggestions, etc. will be greatly appreciated!!
:) :dogrun:

Last edited:
The first machine seems a little interesting. There are some folks who use 386 laptops as terminals for older gear or, sometimes, as vintage gaming platforms.

I'd be interested in seeing a picture or two. I suspect it's just a generic 386 laptop that someone slapped a DR Halo III (a drawing program) sticker on.

The other machine isn't vintage at all and is likely worth little more than scrap value.

Yeah, if you could take a picture I'd be interested in seeing what the Dr Halo system is, as Erik said Dr. Halo was an old drawing application (I used to goof with it as a kid on our 8088 ) so it's likely a sticker that doesn't have anything to do with the system but if it did that'd be quite interesting.

Don't take offense though with the non-vintage comments though ;-) Not all of us are sporting limited release prototypes and have to start somewhere with the older stuff we CAN acquire. Plus in 20 years you'll have the talk of the town anyway.

- John

Thanks!

Thanks!

The first machine seems a little interesting. There are some folks who use 386 laptops as terminals for older gear or, sometimes, as vintage gaming platforms.

I'd be interested in seeing a picture or two. I suspect it's just a generic 386 laptop that someone slapped a DR Halo III (a drawing program) sticker on.

The other machine isn't vintage at all and is likely worth little more than scrap value.

Okay, thanks. I'll try and get some photos asap so you can see what I'm talking about. I did a search on the net and couldn't find anything on the Umax..but I'm still searching. There was some stuff on the Halo but not a lot.
Hmm..vintage gaming platforms huh? Maybe that's the best bet on finding ssomeone who needs this computer..

Sorry if I don't understand what 'vintage is' here!:)

Plus in 20 years you'll have the talk of the town anyway.

Plus in 20 years you'll have the talk of the town anyway.

Yeah, if you could take a picture I'd be interested in seeing what the Dr Halo system is, as Erik said Dr. Halo was an old drawing application (I used to goof with it as a kid on our 8088 ) so it's likely a sticker that doesn't have anything to do with the system but if it did that'd be quite interesting.

Don't take offense though with the non-vintage comments though ;-) Not all of us are sporting limited release prototypes and have to start somewhere with the older stuff we CAN acquire. Plus in 20 years you'll have the talk of the town anyway.

- John

Thanks John! I did get a little irritated...at one post. Sorry!

But I like the fact that you said " Plus in 20 years you'll have the talk of the town anyway."
Yeah, maybe by then I'll have figured out VINTAGE too. Hahah! Anything over 4-6 yrs old in computers (to me) is vintage;)

Welcome. :-D By the way, the disk format you're trying to describe is best known as 5.25" or 5 1/4. Your way of measuring it as 5.5" x 5.75" sounds renewing but would probably confuse more than it helps, unless your laptop really uses a custom floppy disk format. It on its own would merit discussing here.

Welcome luvoldies

I suspect this too. If you can post a pic up, it would certainly help to identify the beast.

Tez

Hello,
I'm a newbie here. Hope all are well and thriving here!

Can anyone give me any web pages or info of any kind for 2 old vintage computers I just aquired?
Example = What are they worth?
What should I do with them, if anything and who might be interested in aquiring them..?
They are:

1) 1985-92 '386' Dr. Halo lll 'graphic device supports artist rendering-type manipulation' laptop with the old 5 1/2 x 5 3/4 floppies for mouse driver/utilities. But no 5 1/2 x 5 3/4 floppie drive.
<snip>

Huge battery pack for power and power plug in

<snip>

Any help or suggestions, etc. will be greatly appreciated!!
:) :dogrun:

Any 386 laptop is going to be somewhat rare eventually, especially a working power supply and battery. If it's a large supply then you have an older 386 laptop. You may want to test the battery, charge it overnight, etc. See what kind of capacity it has.

Bill

Thanks for info!

Thanks for info!

Originally Posted by Erik I'd be interested in seeing a picture or two. I suspect it's just a generic 386 laptop that someone slapped a DR Halo III (a drawing program) sticker on.[/QUOTE said:
I suspect this too. If you can post a pic up said:
Any 386 laptop is going to be somewhat rare eventually, especially a working power supply and battery. If it's a large supply then you have an older 386 laptop. You may want to test the battery, charge it overnight, etc. See what kind of capacity it has.

Bill

Thanks all for the info. I appreciate it. Here's a Craigs list I just put up-
http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/sys/1079877297.html
I know they are priced high-but I know if somebody want'em they'll offer "OBO"
Couldn't get the UMAX photo-as you'll see why in the ad.
Let me know what ya'll think cause I know nothing from nothing on this subject:confused:;)

Last edited:
Hey Moderators ---
I like the new trimmed look of this thread. Much nicer than before.

Too bad I paid so much for my digital camera, I could mail it to the OP otherwise. I sure am a typical American consumer, I took about 4 pictures of my dog, did a 30 second "movie", put it away, and there it is to this day. I still haven't learned how to not take a 3000x1600 pixel pictures yet (I don't remember the real size, it was something ridiculous like that).

I still haven't learned how to not take a 3000x1600 pixel pictures yet (I don't remember the real size, it was something ridiculous like that).
At risk of going insanely off-topic: unless you're really short of space, why use anything but the highest resolution? You can always scale the images down (which can also sharpen up a blurry photo to some degree) and you never know which pictures are going to turn out so great you want to print them out really big, in which case you'll be pleased to have the extra pixels.

Well, as you can already tell, I haven't really messed with it enough to know how many super-big pics I can store vs. using less pixels. In my 5 mins. of usage, I had just noted that the default picture size was huge. I really got the camera for my mother but she never used it either.

I just know "one day" I was actually get in gear and sell some of this surplus modern stuff on ebay. I am very sure the camera will come in handy at that point. Not looking forward to the mean learning curve on ebay selling.

Hey Moderators ---
I like the new trimmed look of this thread. Much nicer than before.

Yeah. Thanks guys! :)

Too bad I paid so much for my digital camera, I could mail it to the OP otherwise. I sure am a typical American consumer, I took about 4 pictures of my dog, did a 30 second "movie", put it away, and there it is to this day. I still haven't learned how to not take a 3000x1600 pixel pictures yet (I don't remember the real size, it was something ridiculous like that).

And here I'm considering selling an Altair so I can buy a Cannon EOS 5D Mark II (full-rez RAW pictures come in at over 25MB!)

Probably can't post those on Craig's List, though. ;)

Yeah. Thanks guys! :)
And here I'm considering selling an Altair so I can buy a Cannon EOS 5D Mark II (full-rez RAW pictures come in at over 25MB!)

Probably can't post those on Craig's List, though. ;)

OMG, Erik noooooo. The Altair will only increase in value. the EOS will be worth nothing in a few years. Please reconsider (unless you want to sell it to me real cheap) or you will regret it.

/Pacman

OMG, Erik noooooo. The Altair will only increase in value. the EOS will be worth nothing in a few years. Please reconsider (unless you want to sell it to me real cheap) or you will regret it.

That might be true, but I have 5 Altairs (2x8800, 1x8800a, 1x8800BT and 1x680.)

But I'm still considering other options including simply not getting the camera. . .

You don't need to take smaller pictures, all you need to do is resize them for the web. An excellent viewer/editor that I have been using for years on PC's is IrfanView...

http://www.irfanview.com/

This proggie will handle any picture format, is easy to use, and best of all - FREE!
:D

Back