• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Toshiba system disks

Kilroy08

I made the mistake of stopping by the DuPont surplus depot and walked out with a Toshiba T3100/20 and a NOS box of 720K floppies for $5.00

Where can I find images of the Toshiba DOS and system utility disks?

In the mean time, it can help my pair of Trinitron monitors make sure my desk doesn't blow away.

*EDIT*

Disregard, I'm an idiot and answered my own question less than 5 minutes after posting. Now back to your regularly scheduled forum.

Last edited:
That's a nice laptop. I got one of those some years back but the HD died. Now I can only use it with the one 720. To me however, that it still quite useful. One thing I like about it is that battery never wears down. :p However the coolest thing is the plasma screen. Outside of possibly some old green ones like IBM, that is my favourite screen.

What DOS did you find?

I got Toshiba DOS 3.30 along with the system config disk from http://www.toshiba.pcxt-micro.com/toshiba-dos-filesa.html

It came already loaded with Word Perfect 4.2, Word 5.0, Lotus, Harvard Graphics, and a bunch of crazy stuff. Near as I can tell, it was some engineer or lab guy's mobile workstation. The only fault is a CMOS battery that is deader than Dillinger. It's January 1, 1980 all day, every day.

Ahh, a laptop from back when men were real men. (well you had to be to carry this boat anchor with you all day) It gives me a hernia just thinking about picking it up. :)

Now back to looking at it and figuring what exactly I can do with it, it's too old for my ham radio stuff. Maybe play Zork or some variant of dungeon hack. Hmmm, there are still some old school BBSes out there.....

And yes, there is the cool gas plasma display.

Update:

Did a field repair installation of a new CMOS battery. Not the exact replacement, but physical size and voltage output match.

It works great and the thing shouldn't have to be opened for another 22 years!

Kilroy08: It works great and the thing shouldn't have to be opened for another 22 years!
Let's hope the HD lasts longer than mine which had the worst case of sticktion. The platter coating turned to mush but after baking it worked for a few months but that was it. :(

Congratulations! I've had a 3100e since it was new, and also a 3200. I did upgrade the hard disk in the 3100e, but I think one of the differences between the 3100 and the -e was the HD interface; the -e has a standard IDE drive but IIRC the 3100 has a modified XT IDE interface that's not quite standard, so yours would probably be more of a challenge. Also, the 3100 has 720K floppies and the -e's are 1.44M. And a dual AA battery holder fits in there nicely.

Yeah, Toshiba's site is pretty good for still having some of those old files.

Enjoy! Nice and solid machine; I still use mine for some serial port stuff because it's one of the few "portable" systems that can have more than 2 serial ports.

Back