• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What should I do with 500+ lbs VMS/VAX Software+Manuals?

kdiego

About 10 years ago I acquired the obsolete items in the software library of a local company (Optigraphics) that built scanners. They had an extensive DEC inventory for testing compatibility to their products/drivers.

I have been told that all the documentation/software can now be downloaded from various sites but I am hoping the originals have intrinsic value. The 2-4" notebooks are authentic and have the Digital logo. I have at least 50 of them!

Of what I have looked through, the vast majority seems to be VMS. Some VAX, Micro VAX I/II. Open VMS? Most of the programs are on data cartridges. There are a few boxes that are still unopened...

I am hoping a DEC enthusiast(s) that lives in Southern California will take custody of everything and distribute to fellow enthusiasts. It has taken a good deal of effort and space to store everything over the years... I really hope it hasn't been pointless! Any thoughts, suggestions and/or offers will be appreciated!

Katie Holderith (San Diego)

Hi Katie and welcome to the forums.

You are right that a lot of DEC documentation can be found online. Most of it here:

http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/

I'm not sure where the bitsavers people are located, but you could try contact them: aek (at) bitsavers . org

If you are unable to keep the bulk of the documents, do a check on bitsavers if you have something they lack and keep that until someone can pick it up.

The software is also interesting.

Great Idea!

Great Idea!

Thank you for your response and suggestion. I checked their website and I believe I have quite a few documents and programs they could use. I am going to email them and find out where they are located.
Thanks Again!
Katie/San Diego

Hmm, Mountain View is about 14 HOURS North of San Diego, 14 grueling hours at that.

Both ways, maybe.

I did that trip earlier this year - most of the stuff I've put on the marketplace recently was from a collection in SD and I've been down there twice since January.

For the first trip I left the house (San Jose, so 20 minutes south of MV) at about 2:00 AM, got to SD at about 10:30, loaded the car and left around 12:30 to arrive home around dinner time.

I stopped only for gas and bio breaks, drinking coffee (I love Peete's) from a thermos and eating power bars the whole way.

The next trip was a family outing to Legoland that ended up with me swinging by for a pile-o-PETs on the drive back.

I'm not sure if I'd do it again, but the trip isn't that bad.

Whoa! Down the 101 in 8.5 hours! Or did you go over to the 5 for some 72mph cheating?

I have found for long trips, it's 50 mile per every hour, including stops for food and drinks, etc.

Back