• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

A Free-for-all-chat about anything except Computers!

CP/M User

Veteran Member
I got this idea while on another forum which has chit-chat section as the agenda (well almost) and I thought it would interesting what people get upto (if they wanted to), while there not on their Vintage or Modern Computers!

So I thought I'll begin by saying I'm having a nice 5 day break from work during the Easter Break (it's Good Friday here - so the morning is only beginning), unfortunately my second job have contacted me and want some stuff for me to present in an Environmental Discussion and it has to be about one thing and not another (I'll bend that rule slightly - because I told people I'll do this other thing for it as well!). I'll hoping to go away for a day trip maybe Sunday or Monday, so hopefully I'll get some fun during this period. Personally when I'm not at work I'm out in the environment, which is fun, though occasionally I like to get away and do something else out in the bush (bushwalk & a bit of photography). Occasionally I'll get a rest day - which I usually take pretty easy! :-D

So what's everyone doing over Easter?

Easter is almost as big as Christmas in some countries so I guess this is not totally inappropiate. I'll be spending a lot of time on the computers. hehe. My little community has a wells and septic issue and I have to prepare for a big meeting with Provincial health officials by doing internet research and sending out press releases. I run a little local micro paper and just posted an Easter story online. http://www.coco.coalmont.net Other than that me and my lady will be eating lamb from a local shepherd who raised Staffordshires. Those are the ones with the black faces which are raises for the meat and not the wool. So... how's that for OT?

lol a few of our users still get Easter baskets. ;-) This weekend was going to be take the girls out for pictures at the local botanical garden, have an easter egg hunt at the folks house/backyard but one of our girls (4yrs old) broke her leg at school yesterday so we may have to rethink our plans a little. Still, she'll be just as happy with a basket full of candy just probably we'll can the egg hunting for next year.

I need to get off my butt at home myself.. I'm too lazy and unmotivated the last few years to get much done. I need to get my "office" in order (a little more walkable) then get access to the garage again (also no longer walkable .. although this is also due to others guinea pigging their way back and putting boxes as far as they could, then another box as far as they could (less) until they essentially boxed us outta the garage). Despite my collection and mess, that's something I've always successfully avoided till folks crammed a few of my other previously indoor items in there with some ridiculous claim like I shouldn't have servers in the kitchen and the workout unit I don't currently use shouldn't be in the way of the bedroom. Buncha weirdo's.

It's going to be a combination Dad's birthday and Easter Celebration for us. My sister and her family are coming in from out of town to visit also, which will make things even nicer.

I bought Dad him one of those battery backup sump pumps for his basement. He's been hinting about wanting one ever since the power went out during the last big rain we had. Of course I will also install it for him sometime very soon.

Lastly and best of all, I had some remaining vacation days left to use before June so I don't have to return to work until Wednesday! Other than that, nothing but good eating, drinking and relaxation on the near horizion. I hope it seems like an eternity. :)

lol a few of our users still get Easter baskets. ;-)

I personally wish I still got easter baskets. Havent in a few years. Trying to convince parents to make me one this year, I want candy, dammit! I can't afford candy, I've applied at 22 places (working on number 23, UPS, when I get around to filling it out) in the last 2.5 months and aint been hired yet. So I may do some job hunting as well.

Besides that, I'd like to do some cleaning of my room. Its not that it's disorganized, its just cluttered. Throw some crap away, donate some, try to sell a bit.

Of course, having a hot girlfriend puts me "on call" at all hours of the day, so I generally try not to start anything unless I know for sure I've got a few hours to myself. Likely hang out with her for awhile at some point in time.

No ones brought it up yet, but there should be some ground rules here. A few off the top of my head:

NO POLITICS
NO POLITICALLY RELATED DISCUSSION
And try not to kill eachother at the end of this thread if/when it becomes a verbal fighting match over who's what is better.

I may not be a mod, but thought that I might plant in a "friendly" reminder. I hate it when we get into a good discussion and then someone mentions Bush (the ex-president) and it turns into a political slaying.

--Ryan

WOW! I wasn't expecting all that - but I've managed to read all that and it all looks good to me! :-D Thanks Everyone! :)

Yeah it's tricky discussing stuff if your upto stuff on the computer - if it's something creative (done off a computer) or a topic of interest!

And yeah if the topic is sensetive - then perhaps save it for a PM - I'm always happy to listen and contribute if something is buggy someone! :)

Besides computers, what else is there worth discussing 'cept BEER & PIZZA, but we've already kicked those dawgs to death. Oh yeah, there's cars, but that just ends up in a flame war anyways...

--T

Terry Yager wrote:

Besides computers, what else is there worth discussing 'cept BEER & PIZZA, but we've already kicked those dawgs to death. Oh yeah, there's cars, but that just ends up in a flame war anyways...

Oh well lets see there's:
  • Life
  • Death
  • Family
  • Love
  • Sickness - Mentally & Physically
  • Movies
  • Music
  • Other Hobbies
  • Job or study
  • Food
  • Wine / Spirits or indeed Beer
  • Something you saw during the day
  • Something you did differently during the day (that you never have done before)

I did some Computerised art the other day - the whole idea was to create some PNG & using a small Video Format - so I selected 176x158 - which is the resolution for the Optional VIC-20 Graphics card! :-D I made one exception that it would be unlimited colour and you can blow the images up and they would still look as good when compared to the original format!

lowres176x1585.png

lowres176x1588.png

Attachments

• low-res 176x158 1.PNG
    low-res 176x158 1.PNG
    2.7 KB · Views: 1
  • low-res 176x158 2.png
    low-res 176x158 2.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 1
  • low-res 176x158 3.png
    low-res 176x158 3.png
    22.8 KB · Views: 1
  • low-res 176x158 4.PNG
    low-res 176x158 4.PNG
    25.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
And here's some more I've done. The Images I posted in the thread above me are the 5th and 8th images - I've presented them there cause there a bit larger than these other PNG images, though their the final copy of what I've attached here! :-D

Attachments

• low-res 176x158 6.PNG
    low-res 176x158 6.PNG
    5.4 KB · Views: 1
  • low-res 176x158 7.PNG
    low-res 176x158 7.PNG
    2.6 KB · Views: 1
Hand Drawn interpretation of a Black Faced Cormorant

Hand Drawn interpretation of a Black Faced Cormorant

Heh! I did this by hand when there was a Power blackout one day - was quite fun actually - I hope there'll be more blackouts soon! :-D (Or else I should just shut down the meter box!). I just scanned these in:

cormorantsketchtracingp.png

This one below is my final - as the one above was done on Tracing Paper - though you can't see that. The whole idea was to just take a photo which had been manipulated to look like it had been drawn, and then do it by hand for real - the result is different from the original thing - meaning I put some of my own interpretation into these images! :-D

cormorantsketchfinalmon.png

What am I up to over Easter?:
1) working - a bit.
2) eating too much chocolate
3) needing to lose some weight (see 2). So digging 500 metres of road, by hand with a pick and shovel down into a creekbed. Rocks++. Blisters+++. Should be complete by 2013.
4) when the blisters get too bad, coming inside and getting some lantronix mss100 ethernet to serial devices chatting to a CP/M computer. Hopefully the BBS will be up soon.
Oops. Sorry, dragged the thread back to computers...

Lets see for me, I live in a mobile home/RV park with about 12 mobiles or so in it, been going to going down hill for about 20 years, so one of the new guys that moved in from VA who has run RV and mobile home parks before. And has basically taken over the place and getting it shape for RV's and such for the 2009 RV season.

So I have been really busy helping him doing everything from cleaning up trash like a prison road gang to tearing down buildings with my truck to digging trench's with a ditch witch to grading driveways with bobcat's and doing sub floor to plumping to electric work, fun stuff I love it keeps me busy!

Terry Yager wrote:

Oh well lets see there's:
  • Life
  • Death
  • Family
  • Love
  • Sickness - Mentally & Physically
  • Movies
  • Music
  • Other Hobbies
  • Job or study
  • Food
  • Wine / Spirits or indeed Beer
  • Something you saw during the day
  • Something you did differently during the day (that you never have done before)
WOMEN???
Or, in my case.
CHICKS???

Back