• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

opening up a TRS-80

Computer Collector

Experienced Member
Ive been away from the hobby for a while now, but now decided to try to repair my broken TRS-80 model 4. I removed all the screws except for the feet but it doesnt seem to want to open up and I dont want to force it. What am I doing wrong? I did this on a model 3 a while back and dont remember having this issue.

Thanks

IIRC, there is a screw on the top back of the unit. I can't recall exactly, though. I do own a Model III, and used to have a Model IV. There is no trick to it, really, although some seem to think there is. Just remove the screws at the bottom along the edges(I think I just removed all the obvious ones) and the afformentioned screw at the top rear of the unit, and it ought to lift right off.

--Ryan

There are;

3 small machine bolts across the bottom of the front of the unit
2 longer self-tapping screws along the sides of the bottom of the case, one set 1/3 of the way back from the front and the other set 1/3 of the way forward from the back
3 longer self-tapping screws across the back of the unit
1 screw top center of the rear of the case.

Put your hands on either side of the case (in the upright position), lift straight up about and inch then forward an inch.

Lift straight up while rotating the case on to its left hand side. This will protect the end of the CRT, the CRT PCB and prevent the signal connector and grounding strap from being yanked off the video board which is attached to the inner left side of the casetop.

To reassemble, reverse these actions.

I figured out what the problem was. The last screw was HIDDEN beneath the warranty sticker.
So I poked through it and finally got that last screw out. This babys never been opened!

Thanks for letting me know to open it to the left side. I probably would have broke that cable otherwise.

I took a look at everything and I think its this part in the center of the unit, just to the left of the drives. Im pretty sure thats the power supply, right? One of the parts on it looks cracked open or something. Ill put pictures of it up in the near future. But I think Im going to have to replace that power supply. Are they even sold anymore?

I figured out what the problem was. The last screw was HIDDEN beneath the warranty sticker.
So I poked through it and finally got that last screw out. This babys never been opened!

Thanks for letting me know to open it to the left side. I probably would have broke that cable otherwise.

I took a look at everything and I think its this part in the center of the unit, just to the left of the drives. Im pretty sure thats the power supply, right? One of the parts on it looks cracked open or something. Ill put pictures of it up in the near future. But I think Im going to have to replace that power supply. Are they even sold anymore?

Depends. I have one of the 38W models, which are damn hard to find out in the wild, but the 65W are still available.

Does your unit have one or two power supplies?

In the one suppy units, it is on the side of the drive tower, like you described. In the two supply units, one is there and one is mounted in the middle of the metal shield, just behind and to the left of the drive tower.

Back