• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

A 144 (no decimal!) MB floppy!?!?

I don't know anything about these things, but I came across some other high capacity floppy-looking things that I'd never heard of before.

3M, 128MB.. 3.5'' rewritable optical disk.
3Mmo128MB.jpg

Iomega/Bernoulli 150 MB. Apparenly first released in 1983 (with less capacity, still 20 MB though) and the predecessor of the zip drive.
Bernoulli150.jpg

I have a tendancy to forget how young some members are. They didn't live through the weird storage formats most of us in the micro world did.
Tape,
8" floppy,
Hard secotored floppies,
Single Sided floppies,
2" floppies,
Bubble Memory,
Cauzin soft strips,
The 10 meg bernoulli drives,
Syquest,
Jazz,
LS-120,
Floptical,
magneto-optical...

what else am I missing?

I have a tendancy to forget how young some members are. They didn't live through the weird storage formats most of us in the micro world did.
Tape,
8" floppy,
Hard secotored floppies,
Single Sided floppies,
2" floppies,
Bubble Memory,
Cauzin soft strips,
Syquest,
Jazz,
LS-120,
Floptical,
magneto-optical...

what else am I missing?

yes, well I'm 13, yet i love vintage computers and while i might not remember some of the old medium standards, i'm finding out about them due to this wonderful thing called The Internet.

@snq:

Those are cool! Unusual looking. Where did you find those?
I didn't actually buy them so they're not mine, but I came across them in a Swedish store that has a lot of used computer parts.

As for the age thing, I'm 30 and the oldest media I've used in my youth must've been C64 tapes. When it comes to PC, 8'' floppies probably weren't being used any more by the time I was born but I've gone through a whole lot of 5.25'' floppies, DD 3.5'' with drilled HD holes (DD was a lot cheaper...), and I was the first one in college to own a 100 MB parallel port zip drive :)

Tape,
8" floppy,
Hard secotored floppies,
Single Sided floppies,
2" floppies,
Bubble Memory,
Cauzin soft strips,
Syquest,
Jazz,
LS-120,
Floptical,
magneto-optical...

what else am I missing?

Kodak/Drivetec drives (3...6MB 5.25" floppies),3.25" floppies, 3" floppies, 2" floppies, Exatron Stringy Floppies...

FWIW, while these (particularly with 2 disks included) seem to be a great deal, their history of working with XP and later is very spotty. I never could get one to work on my XP systems--though they seem to work fine on 2K.

Not necessarily vintage, but how about the iomega "Click" disks. 40Meg on a removable disk less than 2" square. Argus even made a digital camera that used the disks, but in the end it was just another format that didn't catch on.

Iomega/Bernoulli 150 MB. Apparenly first released in 1983 (with less capacity, still 20 MB though) and the predecessor of the zip drive.

Well yes and no. The first Bernoullis were 5 MB and use a different technology than the Zip drives. The Bernoulli boxes were called that because they utilized Bernoulli's Principle. The Zip and Jaz are more conventional in implementation.

How about the 2.8" DataDisk? Used a spiral track to record about 60K...

That makes two of us ;-)

Really? I didn't know there were people on here younger than me. Or maybe I did but forgot. I started on here when I was 14, but started interest(and even bought a system) at 13. I'm 16 now, headed to 17 in May. Wow. I love how on the forums our age doesn't matter. Just a bunch of computer geeks together talking about our hobby and lending a hand.

--Ryan

I used some 230 MB Magneto-Optical disks as a primary storage device on some of my older Macs for quite some time. Still have three drives (two external, one internal,) and about a dozen disks. They are the same footprint as a 3.5" floppy, only thicker. The fun thing was to mount them inside a Mac where the floppy drive should go.

Not to mention LS-120 and LS-240 drives. The LS-240 had a fun feature: You could format a stock 1440 KB floppy disk (They are *NOT* "1.44 MB") to 32 MB.

I also like the "2M" utility, which can cram just shy of 4000 KB onto a "2880 KB" ED floppy disk. (I have a slimmed down install of Windows 3.0 on one floppy.)

Back