• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Apple ][e Programs

Raven

Veteran Member
I was surprised to find no sticky for this, but I have a huge lack of Apple ][ programs for my Apple ][e. It was owned by a school, and as such, I have a bunch of crappy educational games (no Oregon Trail, damnit!).

I'd like to get my hands on some more standard software: word processing, whatever the Apple ][ can do. Where can I go to get this software (disk images?), and can I write these using a PC 5.25" drive..?

I have some DB9 connector labeled with what looks like half of a drawing of a cassette in the bottom left of the machine from the back. I also have a DB25 in one of the expansion slots, which could either be serial or parallel.. (I'll open it and look later)..

What is the DB9? Any idea?

Edit: Looking at the ADTPro site, it seems it will work over audio (though ofc that will be slow as anything, heh), so if worse comes to worse, I can always do that.

I have some DB9 connector labeled with what looks like half of a drawing of a cassette in the bottom left of the machine from the back. I also have a DB25 in one of the expansion slots, which could either be serial or parallel.. (I'll open it and look later)..

What is the DB9? Any idea?

Edit: Looking at the ADTPro site, it seems it will work over audio (though ofc that will be slow as anything, heh), so if worse comes to worse, I can always do that.

Don't even try the audio method. Its about useless. The db25 is probably the serial card. Open the lid and see if it matches the picture of the Super Serial Card on the adtpro site. It probably does. It was super common. Remember what slot it is in. You'll need it to bootstrap the software.

Of course, you'll need a serial port on your host too. If you only have USB ports then you'll have to go grab a usb to serial adapter off ebay or your local computer store. They run about $20-$30. Also, a cable that goes from whatever your host serial port is to db25-male to plug into the apple. Usually that means a DB9-female to DB25-male cable.

Its all down hill from there. Seems like nine times out of ten the super serial card is already set correctly. If you have trouble try setting the SSC to 9600 with the dip switches on the card.

Back