• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Rummage Sales & Card Shows

willowmoon93

Experienced Member
Well yesterday was a really good day for me . . . one of the computers I got was a TRS-80 Model III !!! Finally, after about three years or so of searching, I finally have one! Yes, I could probably have got one via ebay, but the shipping charges have typically been pretty expensive. This one I got for $40 on a smaller auction site called "wensy.com". Basically what happened was that I stumbled upon the site and I was stunned to see that a TRS-80 was listed on it and it said local pickup only so I was kinda bummed for a second there until I saw that the seller is from Wisconsin (which is where I live!). Found out he only lives 40 miles away from me so the gas money would still be worth the trip if I won the auction. And I did win it!! Well he was going to be participating at a local card show as a vendor selling sports & gaming cards right in Green Bay this weekend so I could meet him there, which is even closer! Really great guy, very friendly -- and it the whole deal worked out so well with being so close by!

Well earlier in the morning yesterday I went to a local neighborhood rummage sale, ran across some really decent video games for the PlayStation (Parasite Eve and Simpsons Wrestling were $1 each, for example!). Also found a Commodore 64 (complete in box), w/1541 disk drive, and a box full of software all for $5 !!!! But it gets even better . . .

The really cool find over at one house was an Apple IIgs (with 4 MB of RAM -- via a Q RAM card), high-speed SCSI card, external 85 MB hard drive (Q Drive), AppleColor RGB Monitor, 3 1/2" & 5 1/4" disk drives, and an ImageWriter II! All of the Apple hardware is in their original boxes w/styrofoam inserts & manuals. Plus lots of software including some games, some still complete in their original boxes as well -- the whole shebang was $35 !!!!

Oh and about a couple of weeks ago I bought a Coleco ADAM computer w/Colecovision games, lots of software on digital data tapes (as well as some blank ones) for $50 via a local poster on craigslist. The seller described everything he had in the ad and said "make an offer." Well he accepted my $50 offer and when I got there, we were talking and he mentioned that one other person prior to me e-mailed him an offer of only $10 and he had to laugh at that one. As such, my $50 offer was much more reasonable. The cool thing is that the ADAM package included some ADAM users' group newsletters in with it which I didn't know until I got home with it. Really good reading, I'll have to say !!

Great finds. All you need for that IIgs now is a Transwarp accelerator.

The Coleco Adam sounds nice, I kind of want one of those too if I can find it locally (mostly for the games). They did make and sell floppy drives for them I hear.

Sounds like I need to hit garage sales this spring/summer.

Well done on the TRS-80 Model III. This is one vintage computer I'm also hanging out for. Shipping costs and the possibility of damage during transport means it really has to be local also.

Chances are slim but maybe one day:)

Tez

LOL-- I have a TRS-80 Model III that I rescued from a snowbank on a January trash pickup day!
I stopped to grab it and I almost left it there because it felt too light and I thought it might have been stripped for parts.
I stashed it in my garage until March and finally got around to taking it to my basement workshop and got the pleasant surprise that it was 100% intact and un-modded!

I cleaned it up, powered it on and it WORKS!
I really don't have the space or time to add this nice machine to my collection, so I'm offering it for trade or sale for pickup in the Chicago area.

>>> PM me for details if interested.

Thanks,
-John

Very cool find. lol gah.. I feel so old. Never heard of this site yet there are thousands of items and users there.

How am I ever gonna find these new secret hidaways? ;-)

LOL-- I have a TRS-80 Model III that I rescued from a snowbank on a January trash pickup day!
I stopped to grab it and I almost left it there because it felt too light and I thought it might have been stripped for parts.
I stashed it in my garage until March and finally got around to taking it to my basement workshop and got the pleasant surprise that it was 100% intact and un-modded!

I cleaned it up, powered it on and it WORKS!

Incredible! What a great find!

Tez

Back