• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

IBM PC XT 5160, 512K, 5153 Monitor, Original Books

This XT was made in early 1985 for sure, since it has DOS 3.0 disks, and DOS 3.10 replaced it that spring. A very nice system; the only improvement it needs is to be filled out to 640k (and maybe a DOS other than the buggy 3.0).

Thanks! I always thought it maxed out at 512K and that the Quadram board provided additional memory (340K)? Sorry I can't remember. So long ago, and the machine was used primarily for word processing - nothing too techie. I tried to find the original bill of sale. Early 85 jives with all the other documentation.

*Auction Cancelled*

*Auction Cancelled*

After reading up on the terms of service for both ebay and paypal, I decided to cancel the auction and move the sale of the XT over to this forum instead. I haven't ebayed for a while, and there are just far too many hoops to jump through with that process. Thanks to all those who bid, and apologies for any inconveniences. I will post the new link here as soon as I get it ready.

After reading up on the terms of service for both ebay and paypal, I decided to cancel the auction and move the sale of the XT over to this forum instead. I haven't ebayed for a while, and there are just far too many hoops to jump through with that process. Thanks to all those who bid, and apologies for any inconveniences. I will post the new link here as soon as I get it ready.

Can you explain what why you cancelled your ebay listing?

In my previous ebay auctions, the winning bidder paid by pay pal, the funds cleared immediately, and I used those funds to ship the items off to the winner by purchasing the mailing label through the pay pal system. No problems. 100% positive.

In my most recent auction (and for the computer apparently) the winning bidder will pay by pay pal, and the funds will be held pending shipment, receipt by winner,review, and their positive feedback, and it could take 21 days to see any money. This includes the money the winner pays for shipping.

*The money to ship the goods is held pending the shipment of the goods.*

For me, that flies in the face of "buyer pays shipping" They're not. I'm paying for the shipping. And because the $150 to ship this would come out of my pockets, I am basically financing the winner's purchase for three weeks. I'm sorry, but that's just totally unacceptable to me. If I was presented with some kind of warning about this (not just some sentence buried in their terms of service) I would have never listed it with eBay. I didn't even know until I went to print the guys shipping label, and ebay said, "Oh Hi, we're holding your funds, so we're just going to go ahead and pull this shipping charge and associated fees out of your bank account. cool?"

No. not cool. Something goes wrong, and I'm out the computer and $150.00. Ebay and paypal are already notorious for their automated customer service, plus after reading their combined terms of service, and a couple of threads on the subject, I'm not all that comfortable with the process any longer.

100% Positive Feedback, Verified Address, Verified Bank Account, Premier Membership, Instant Payment - all of that is apparently meaningless.

It all boils down to the fact that I am unwilling to spend 150 dollars packing and shipping a computer to someone who may or may not pay me in three weeks using a middle-man who may or may not release the funds.

In my previous ebay auctions, the winning bidder paid by pay pal, the funds cleared immediately, and I used those funds to ship the items off to the winner by purchasing the mailing label through the pay pal system. No problems. 100% positive.

In my most recent auction (and for the computer apparently) the winning bidder will pay by pay pal, and the funds will be held pending shipment, receipt by winner,review, and their positive feedback, and it could take 21 days to see any money. This includes the money the winner pays for shipping.

*The money to ship the goods is held pending the shipment of the goods.*

For me, that flies in the face of "buyer pays shipping" They're not. I'm paying for the shipping. And because the $150 to ship this would come out of my pockets, I am basically financing the winner's purchase for three weeks. I'm sorry, but that's just totally unacceptable to me. If I was presented with some kind of warning about this (not just some sentence buried in their terms of service) I would have never listed it with eBay. I didn't even know until I went to print the guys shipping label, and ebay said, "Oh Hi, we're holding your funds, so we're just going to go ahead and pull this shipping charge and associated fees out of your bank account. cool?"

No. not cool. Something goes wrong, and I'm out the computer and $150.00. Ebay and paypal are already notorious for their automated customer service, plus after reading their combined terms of service, and a couple of threads on the subject, I'm not all that comfortable with the process any longer.

100% Positive Feedback, Verified Address, Verified Bank Account, Premier Membership, Instant Payment - all of that is apparently meaningless.

It all boils down to the fact that I am unwilling to spend 150 dollars packing and shipping a computer to someone who may or may not pay me in three weeks using a middle-man who may or may not release the funds.

So, when I pay for something through paypal, and it clears ok, paypal doesn't automatically put the money in the sellers account?

Exactly.

And if the seller is out of money when the item is sold, he/she is in big trouble.

I didn't know this before. So paypal holds onto the money, and waits for the seller to do what?

Exactly.

And if the seller is out of money when the item is sold, he/she is in big trouble.

If the seller is living this close to the margin then they were already in big trouble.

Seriously ...

Mike

Until 3 days after the buyer leaves positive feedback.

Is this a new policy ? About two months ago I purchased an item on
eBay, waited three weeks, never received the item after many promises
from the seller that it would be shipped. I opened a claim on PayPal
and within two days I had my money back. Now the explanation from
PayPal was that they would 'attempt' to recover the funds from the
sellers account, which implies the seller already had the money.

Until 3 days after the buyer leaves positive feedback.

From PayPal:

"To get the funds sooner, please ship right away. We'll release the hold after 21 days unless you receive a dispute, claim, chargeback, or reversal on the transaction.
We may release the hold earlier if:

* The buyer leaves you positive feedback on eBay
* We confirm that the item was delivered"

So, when I pay for something through paypal, and it clears ok, paypal doesn't automatically put the money in the sellers account?

The money is in my paypal account, but it is marked "on hold" and the funds are not available to me for any purpose. It shows only as a pending balance. So you paid with paypal, and I can see that you paid, but the money is actually sitting in paypal's bank.

That's kind of ..expectably scandalous. They get to sit on the interest on every purchase for X days before relaying it to your account.

Ok, so if I buy something from EBay, and I'm not happy with it,
and the seller won't pay for return shipping, and I decide to just
keep it anyway, then at least I can make him wait to get his
money for 21 days..... :)

What happened? Ebay shows no bids now. I was more just curious and hoping someone here ended up with it, but just curious if the auction was canceled or if it's an error.

- John

Ok, so if I buy something from EBay, and I'm not happy with it,
and the seller won't pay for return shipping, and I decide to just
keep it anyway, then at least I can make him wait to get his
money for 21 days..... :)

Better yet, you can file a dispute and he'll never get the money. They'll reverse the charge back to your paypal account, and you'll be sitting pretty with all the goodies and free shipping to boot.

Back